U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM

23,646 posts, read 16,036,364 times

Advertisements

CBS's Charles Osgood: 'Is the Constitution Worthy of the Reverence in Which Most Americans Hold It?' | MRCTV

Talk about the Constitution being under attack. He wants to get rid of it or re-write it. I bet I know who he wants to do it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,465,629 times
It's not a secret. The founding fathers added means through amendment to change the Constitution and even re-write it through the means of a Constitution Convention.

The Constitutonal convention in 1787 is referred to as the first Constitutional convention...were they expecting more?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,284,422 times
Yeah, he's right. Or actually, he's not right - the dozens of constitutional lawyers, political scientists, elected officials, journalists and policy experts who concur with this thesis are right.

It comes as a great shock to some people, especially those whose education either hasn't included a critical examination of our "fundamental law" or else hasn't included any means of critical examination at all, and who instead have been taught simply to revere it like a pagan fetish - but the present constitution pretty much sucks. It's worn-out. It has ceased to function properly. It's not just archaic, but an actual positive threat to the liberty, stability of government, and rule of law it purports to guarantee.

I know it's going to make some people writhe with indignation and fury at the very thought, but on this question at least, the "elites" really do know what is best for you better than you do yourself.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM

23,191 posts, read 16,893,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Talk about the Constitution being under attack. He wants to get rid of it or re-write it. I bet I know who he wants to do it.
Curious, isn't it?

Ever since the Election, there's been an attack on the Constitution. So far....

"If we acknowledged what should be obvious — that much constitutional language is broad enough to encompass an almost infinitely wide range of positions — we might have a very different attitude about the obligation to obey. It would become apparent that people who disagree with us about the Constitution are not violating a sacred text or our core commitments. Instead, we are all invoking a common vocabulary to express aspirations that, at the broadest level, everyone can embrace. Of course, that does not mean that people agree at the ground level. If we are not to abandon constitutionalism entirely, then we might at least understand it as a place for discussion, a demand that we make a good-faith effort to understand the views of others, rather than as a tool to force others to give up their moral and political judgments. If even this change is impossible, perhaps the dream of a country ruled by “We the people” is impossibly utopian. If so, we have to give up on the claim that we are a self-governing people who can settle our disagreements through mature and tolerant debate. But before abandoning our heritage of self-government, we ought to try extricating ourselves from constitutional bondage so that we can give real freedom a chance."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/op...tw-share&_r=1&

CBS News 'Sunday Morning' Segment Asks: "Suppose Barack Obama Really Wasn't A Natural Born Citizen?.....So What"

Professor: Take our country back, from the Constitution - CBS News

Cnn's morgan slams down constitution, calls it 'your little book' See interview & video here

....and now, CBS and Osgood.

Smells like psy-ops warfare.

Standard bill of fare: throw something out to test the waters, then keep tweaking it until you get the reaction from the Masses that you want.

Well, I suppose I'll have to delay writing my memoirs until after the civil war, so I can start cranking out op-orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The Constitutonal convention in 1787 is referred to as the first Constitutional convention...were they expecting more?

Says who? You? I'll need to see documentation to support your claim. Any primary source will do (assuming you know what a primary source is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Yeah, he's right. Or actually, he's not right - the dozens of constitutional lawyers, political scientists, elected officials, journalists and policy experts who concur with this thesis are right.

It comes as a great shock to some people, especially those whose education either hasn't included a critical examination of our "fundamental law" or else hasn't included any means of critical examination at all, and who instead have been taught simply to revere it like a pagan fetish - but the present constitution pretty much sucks. It's worn-out. It has ceased to function properly. It's not just archaic, but an actual positive threat to the liberty, stability of government, and rule of law it purports to guarantee.

I know it's going to make some people writhe with indignation and fury at the very thought, but on this question at least, the "elites" really do know what is best for you better than you do yourself.
No, they're not right, they're wrong.

People like you and your "elites" are clueless about the Constitution. And no matter what, you people couldn't get a clue about the Constitution during the clue mating season in an open field full of horny clues even if you smeared your body with clue musk, sang the clue mating call and did the clue mating dance.

Your attitude amounts to an admission that you have failed to persuade the majority of you fellow citizens to be of like mind and that you are seeking to attain by undemocratic procedures what you cannot attain by democratic procedures.

Civic-mindedly....

Mircea

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM

Must be all these liberal, elitist professors filing their heads with mush. Throw the constitution out and then what----what would we have----bet they know. Anarchy.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM

Default Interesting comments after the article

"I can't believe this person is a "scholar". Our country was founded on those principles in the constitution and now we just throw it away because it is an archaic document. Those values and principles are just as sound now as they were 225 years ago"

"This man is a constitutional professor? Has he ever read this document? He is an absolute moron, The great and divinely inspired man that wrote this document had answers for everything this clown objected to. The clearest of all, aside from the freedom of speech which already allows us the right to have discussions over disagreements, and of course the Amendment process. Yes, I understand that the Amendment process takes a large percentage of the people to agree, I would argue that it should.....As far as his statement -suppose Barry Hussein -Lord and master of all he holds dear- was not a natural born citizen. so what......I want a leader whom I know holds his loyalties to this country, God knows we are seeing now what happens when they do not......."

Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 AM

14,727 posts, read 4,907,233 times
The Constitution truly is a brilliant document...

Quote:
Must be all these liberal, elitist professors filing their heads with mush. Throw the constitution out and then what----what would we have----bet they know. Anarchy.
Conservatives attempt to overstep the bounds of the Constitution all the time...well, specifically the First Amendment to the Constitution. Both groups have serious problems with this.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 AM

I believe both sides try to use the Constitution for their own benefit but that is why it is a truly great document. It holds up when men try to tear it down.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 AM

44,884 posts, read 31,208,539 times
Quote:
I believe both sides try to use the Constitution for their own benefit but that is why it is a truly great document. It holds up when men try to tear it down.

Very well said but I couldn't rep you for the post.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 AM

13,900 posts, read 12,077,259 times
Quote:
They know alright. They ought to, they've had it planned for years. They need to get rid of the constitution and to do that, they need to get rid of the only line of defense a common man has..... you guessed it..... GUNS. Second, Obama is already starting his tear down of the first amendment before he's even finished with the 2nd...... blaming FOX news and Rush for the gridlock in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies