Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Virtually NONE of the insurance rates are reasonable any more.

And, for that matter, virtually none of what they're calling automobiles are even worth insuring either. Nor, are they worth buying. The computer electronics isn't reliable enough as currently designed, and it's costing every one of you that owns a vehicle newer than about 1985, in fuel and repairs.
Wow - so much hyperbole.

Today's cars are vastly better than those of yesteryear. Much more reliable, safer, and even quicker. I just replaced the spark plugs on my Honda this weekend. First time in 100K miles. The cars I drove in college 30 years ago needed new plugs every year. And points too. And they had a choke. Drum brakes all around. Didn't like starting in cold (or very hot) weather. 5 digit odometer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM

78,324 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The results were somewhat surprising, although there were differences across the five insurers. Farmers, GEICO and Progressive always gave a higher quote to the safer driver than the woman who’d caused an accident. Across all 12 cities in the study, State Farm offered the lowest or second lowest premiums.
“State insurance regulators should require auto insurers to explain why they believe factors such as education and income are better predictors of losses than are at-fault accidents,” said J. Robert Hunter, CFA’s director of insurance and former Texas insurance commissioner.
“Policymakers should ask why auto insurers are permitted to discriminate on the basis of nondriving-related factors such as occupation or education,” he added.

Consumer Group: The Rich May Pay Less For Car Insurance Even If They’re Not Safe Drivers
Hunter, the joker you are quoting is a paid shill for various groups where he crafts faulty results to meet the goals of whoever's paying him. His study on medical malpractice insurance for Missouri was panned by every state insurance commissioner and he is regarded as a laughing stock in the actuarial community. (He also did a "study" on florida homeowners insurance and concluded the insurers didn't need rate increases. Did I mention he removed the years with hurricanes from the study?)

The variables being cited above are all proven via generalized linear models. Basically what hunter is saying is that we should throw all that fancy schmancy math out the window and just use our "gut feel" that a single accident is a greater predictor than credit score and so forth. Well, one accident is generally not a good predictor but 2 or more and it gets their attention as it's more predictive.

P.S. All the rates hunter is complaining about were all statistically reviewed and approved by the various state governments. In other words, dozens of independent state departments of insurance have verified that this is statistically valid.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Education and income are tied to credit ratings? That sounds like hard-working low-income people are doomed to poor credit ratings.
The study appears to have been conducted by people who don't know beans about how underwriters evaluate their own exposure to claims.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post

What recently blew me away was learning the amount my 89 yr. old mother in Florida was paying for car insurance on a leased vehicle - almost $3,000 a year! I'll be taking care of THAT when I go down for a visit soon, that is highway robbery. She naively thought that since she got the insurance through an AARP recommended insurer she got a better rate. HA!
Millions fall for the AARP thing and don't shop for better rates.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Here's a little article for you. Credit rating affects many things in our lives, including our rates for insurance.

How credit scores affect insurance rates
Someone making $250K a year can have a credit score in the toilet and someone making $18K a year can have a stellar score.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:

If you know you're not going to be using your car for 45 days, why wouldn't you let it lapse? I try to save money wherever I can.

And I actually had a low income discount with State Farm when I had a car, so I've never considered their policies egregious.
Talk to your insurance agency before dropping insurance to determine if the gap will come back and bite you. Then you can decide if the premium saved during that 45 day period is worth it.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM

78,324 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Going through Geico's online quote,

As far as the 45 days without insurance that's a red flag for any insurance company especially if the coverage lapsed.
Ding ding ding...it seems we have found our first poster with a functioning BS detector.

The guy that did the "study" has been caught repeatedly over the years torturing data with utterly unacceptable techniques and then rushing off press releases that papers are all too happy to print without fact check or even chance at rebuttal.

In the missouri study on medical malpractice (Oh, btw he was paid by the trial lawyers) he claimed the rates were fine by comparing claims paid today against premiums collected today.

For example $100 collected this year to pay future claims. Let's say that the current years claims were $90 but on average the policies written today will generate claims occurring 4 years from now. Claim inflation is 8%, interest rates are 3%.

So, the policies you collected $100 for today will generate discounted claims of 90 x 1.08^4 / 1.03 ^4 = 108.8

Basically, you won't make money.

Hunter compared the $90 to the $100 and claimed they were making tons of money.

Hope this helps explain his "techniques"

Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
I think it is funny... they say they look at 60 people... SIXTY... and we have six pages of nonsense after that... and by the way, I pay way too much for car insurance... I must be the outlier...

Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post

Virtually NONE of the insurance rates are reasonable any more.
Reasonable is a releative term. It's reasonable versus the exposure of the claim and the need to be profitable to achieve a higher rating and be able to pay out a claim. Auto insurance is the most profitable line of insurance. Profits help offset the lines that lose money.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where can I get some Personal Responsibility gear? I'm looking for a hat and maybe a foam finger.
Trust me, the credit ratings companies will be happy to give you the finger free of charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies