Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times

Advertisements

Nope i would never change who i am, for no one. I am white strong female of Italian and a wee bit of spanish ancestory. I think we each are born and are very special.

What then happens in life i beleive depends on the individual, but certain advantages i believe are given out of race. Is it fair hek no, but when you got the salp on the butt, when you were born, no one said life would not be without challenges. Or a bowl of cherries.

And no not all white people i know are privledged in any way. I come from a background of hard dedicated workers no matter what you put your mind out to do, you can achieve with hard work. No one can do for me, what i can do for myself.

There are people i am sure who would change who they are in a hearbeat, understandable. But i believe in hitting challenges in your life head on.

I was not always in the position i am in today, there were many hard times when first married many, even had our prized Boss 302 Mustang repossessed.

What did i do, got off my skinny butt, and worked 3 jobs even nights. Threw the damn credit cards away that got us into trouble, and yes i am white. And started a plan with hubby for our future. Yes i can understand why some people would change who they are in a heartbeat.

But i still believe in facing your obstacles head on, it is more rewarding doing for youself, then someone doing it for you.

What would be interesting would be to see what percentage of people would change who they are.

I have good dear black friends today, that are in much better positions then my white friends, and good for them, they earned where they are, and worked hard.

I love people who don't make excuses for who they are, and accept with pride, where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
I'm an attractive Black woman so I wouldn't change a thing

Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
No, Would remain a male of mixed race.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1234 View Post
A friend of mine posed an interesting question. Imagine if a machine existed which allowed you to change your racial makeup and/or gender. I am guessing that over 90 percent of black people would chane their race, while probably less than 2 percent of whites would.

This speaks volumes, because one can clearly see that there are substantial benefits attributed to being white. Despite so called affirmative action programs which supposively benefit minorities, most would still prefer to just be white. I'm a black woman, and if given the opportunity, I'd want to become a white man, for obvious reasons (I.e., being viewed as an individual, white privilege, and to garner the ultimate respect that white men are given throughout the world). LoL I'm however willing to bet that no white man would want to become a black woman.
I have known a lot of people of different races and lots of different men and women (when it comes to gender, I still recognize only the two basic born sexes, male and female). I would not want to be another race or gender and I am guessing that your over 90 percent of black people wanting to be white is way off base and, frankly, it shows that you live in a very white world and probably could never appreciate cultural differences and just being who you are. The question is complicated because you change not just race or gender in doing this but an entire life. I don't think when it comes right down to it that most people are that dissatisfied with who they are and if they are, it is highly unlikely that changing race or gender would make them happy.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
How interesting that through 44 posts--men, women, black, white, Asian, mixed race--not one would opt to change. We all appreciate the world from our own unique perspective. And as post number 45, I will concur--I'm very happy being a white woman, and wouldn't change, either.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Unequivocally, no, from this white woman.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
How interesting that through 44 posts--men, women, black, white, Asian, mixed race--not one would opt to change. We all appreciate the world from our own unique perspective. And as post number 45, I will concur--I'm very happy being a white woman, and wouldn't change, either.
What i don't get is why the OP thought that 90% of blacks would wanna be white. That's just preposterous on its face.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
Heck NO. I love being white

Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What i don't get is why the OP thought that 90% of blacks would wanna be white. That's just preposterous on its face.
I know...I am patiently waiting for an actual source for those statistics (which I highly doubt even exist)

Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Default Silly Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1234 View Post
A friend of mine posed an interesting question. Imagine if a machine existed which allowed you to change your racial makeup and/or gender. I am guessing that over 90 percent of black people would chane their race, while probably less than 2 percent of whites would.

This speaks volumes, because ........
You are speculating what people would do in this imaginary machine and then go on to somehow assume your speculation speaks volumes about anyone other than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies