Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM

385 posts, read 615,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm aware that shipping charges are subject to sales tax, but what's the justification? Because We Can? If I order something from a local store and they charge $10 for delivery, is that subject to sales tax?
That varies widely by state. They all have different laws regarding what sales/transactions are subject to sales and use taxes, and which are not. For instance, my state (WV) charges sales tax on labor if I were to take my car to a mechanic or have an appliance repaired. Neighboring VA does not. My state does not charge sales tax on shipping (to me, anyway, though the shipper may pay it) while CA does. Blame the legislators, not the merchants who have to follow the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
That varies widely by state. They all have different laws regarding what sales/transactions are subject to sales and use taxes, and which are not. For instance, my state (WV) charges sales tax on labor if I were to take my car to a mechanic or have an appliance repaired. Neighboring VA does not. My state does not charge sales tax on shipping (to me, anyway, though the shipper may pay it) while CA does. Blame the legislators, not the merchants who have to follow the laws.
Blame the state/county/municipal legislators if one is going to blame.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I'm all for increased transparency. I welcome this change.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The cost of credit card processing is the cost of doing business and like all costs they built into the prices charged by most retailers.

Most retailers are not going to impose an incremental fee, just because they can.

Cash and checks impose greater burdens on most retailers, including but not limited to, counterfit money, check fraud, errors, employee theft, higher risk of robbery, money counting, making change and deposit risks.
Maybe not at first, but they will over time....

Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
I don't understand how this can be when it's part of the Visa/MasterCard merchant rules that Merchants cannot charge extra fees for credit card usage?

Keep in mind that just because most merchants won't be charging the fee now doesn't mean they never will. The banks are always working hard to figure out more insidious ways to steal money directly from you without you knowing or caring about it. That's why they want so badly to move to a "cashless society". It keeps your money in THEIR control instead of vice versa.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Starting today 40 States including NJ can charge up to 4% on all Credit card purchases. So $100 in Shoprite now became $104.
Credit card users could get socked with 4% “checkout fee”
Not here in CO though.
Not in CA either. In most cities competition will help keep the price down.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
In that case, I want a 4% discount for paying CASH.
Most gun stores I've been in already give a cash discount.

So go buy a Glock!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Look for airlines to charge the fees ASAP. It's a slippery slope. First one here and there will, then more, and finally all of them will be in our pockets for an additional 4% (and of course prices will not drop).

Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
People..this is not something new. CC's have always charged the merchants and most just included it in their product price. You just never knew it.

Gas stations charge 2 prices....cash or CC so you'd recognize that.
But retail just included that cost into their product. And we've been paying that for years whether we used cash or CC.
This new ruling last July is to let them charge separate because the increase brings it up to near or over 4%.
It's been 2% and that 2% was part of the price you paid for a product.

Now with that said, nothing was mentioned about retailers removing that built in cost we've been paying for years.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
In that case, I want a 4% discount for paying CASH.

That is my position but it seems most places want to collect the cash dividend and not share it with me so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies