Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I see this as being less against traditional families and more againt public assistance. Divorce itself doesn't mess kids up, it's the relationship betwee the two parents that does. Divorced, married...doesn't matter. A bad relationship isn't going to produce well adjusted children no matter how you slice it. Even if you put an end to divorce you can't put an end to a bad relationship.
Divorce isn't good for kids though. I realize sometimes it happens but too many take divorce lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Divorce itself doesn't mess kids up, it's the relationship betwee the two parents that does. Divorced, married...doesn't matter. A bad relationship isn't going to produce well adjusted children no matter how you slice it.
I think it does mess kids up, on average; sometimes it's the lesser evil, but not nearly as often as it's an easy way out for the parents (or one of them.)

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Where you live does not dictate your ideology or beliefs.
No, but it can be reflective of your ideology and beliefs.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
This is not at all what you said. Medicaid and other state and federal medical assistance programs are not the same as "welfare".

Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
The OP's is an opinion, one he is welcome to, but it doesn't make it the only right answer, or even a right answer, just an answer. If you like it, I love it...but don't agree. ah well. I also thought Johnson was a poor choice and as such did not vote for him.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Divorce isn't good for kids though. I realize sometimes it happens but too many take divorce lightly.
Nobody takes divorce lightly.

Quote:
I think it does mess kids up, on average; sometimes it's the lesser evil, but not nearly as often as it's an easy way out for the parents (or one of them.)
Nothing is easy about divorce.

Want to know whats even worse for kids? Two parents who can't get along, who don't respect each other, who don't love or even like each other, who treat each other poorly, and who fight. There is nothing special about living under the same roof if what goes on under it sucks. In a perfect world nothing would go wrong, everything would be great, and ever kid would have two perfect parents. But..

Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I agree. This is one of the reasons why the young these days are less willing to commit to marriage. Grumping about immorality won't change this at all, and wishing that all marriages would last a lifetime will not ever come true. We are no longer the same society that we once were, and blaming the causes on liberalism is not going to change the situation. As many conservatives as liberals get divorced.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM

99,577 posts, read 4,492,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since when were you appointed arbiter of what's moral and what's not?

And what's this 'Liberal immorality' BULLS**T?

Who told you it was exclusive to one side of the aisle?

Newt Gingrich?

Mark Sanford?

Ted Haggard?

Etc., etc., etc., etc............................................... .................................................. .........

Perhaps Sarah Palin? No out of wedlock kids in that family of bedrock conservative morality!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Let me preface this by stating that I despise both parties. I am an independent and did vote Obama in 2008 (voted Johnson this time). I don't care for most politicians.

However I am a strong believer in the ideas of a somewhat traditional family. I don't believe one should be having kids unless married and supporting the kids and I believe in staying together pretty much no matter what. I think illegitimacy and divorce is destroying too many families and I see a difference between kids raised by married parents versus kids from divorced parents versus kids born out of wedlock.

Recently I gave an interview to a local paper about this and of course the claws come out, like how dare I attack non traditional families? That I should accept the new family life. That how dare I attack illegals going on welfare. So much more but you get the idea.

Since when has terrible ideas become the correct way?
Times change. The winds of change are in the air. Get on board. The old ways don't fly anymore and marriage is an old institution that probably should die or be changed. I know many couples that have lived together in love, peace and harmony for years without the legal blessings of the government.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio;
The old ways don't fly anymore and marriage is an old institution that probably should die or be changed.
I don't even know how to begin to respond to this remark. I'll just say many people disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies