Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,748,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Disgusting bias.

Did anyone else notice this last week on the anniversary of Roe V Wade? In a way I wasn't surprised (since NPR is so leftist), but it still shocks me to hear it. It is her "bullying" attitude and general disgust over having to speak to anyone with a view that differs from her own extreme one. You will notice a big difference in tone between the way the two guests are treated. There is absolutely zero journalistic integrity.

The first link is an interview with a pro-choice guest. The second one is a pro-life guest. They were played back to back and you can hear a big difference in both the tone and treatment of the issues.

NPR Media Player

NPR Media Player
Your faux outrage trolling is getting ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,612,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't listen to the news to find the opinion of the interviewer, which should be neutral if they are professional. It seems to be very hard to find any professional reporters in this country anymore--and I am talking about every news station on the air.

When did we begin with the idea that the news person was on the air to give their opinion?
She didn't give her opinions.

What she did do, which is entirely within the province of journalism, was to challenge questionable or unfounded assertions (like the bogus "post abortion syndrome" claim) and give the interviewee an opportunity to respond.

It is decidedly not the role of a journalist to sit back and uncritically accept whatever silly or mendacious claims their subjects might care to make.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM

6,606 posts, read 4,987,661 times
Quote:
She promotes and approves of infanticide. That, to me, is biased.
Terry Gross is hands down one of the best interviewers on the radio, she is always extremely prepared and insightful. The fact that you call abortion infanticide speaks volumes about why you think the interviewer is biased. I always hear the same line "if you don't know that NPR is biased then you have no hope" for once I would like to have the question answered, I honestly do not think NPR is biased, the only thing I can think of it is that they interview a lot of academia as subject matter experts which makes a lot of sense to me, often times conservative vs liberal lines are drawn along science vs religion, or science vs industry, in things like global warning, evolution, but even so when she interviews she often says "but so and so would claim x,y,z" which to me is what makes he interview balanced.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,569,421 times
The bias comes with the lack of hard questions for people with leftist views. When you ask the hard questions to a person with a conservative view and give the smile and nod to the liberal, then the idea that you are biased comes through.

I would really like to make a list of questions for the person for murdering babies. It would go something like, "What would you say to the people that say the baby is not getting the chance for life, liberty and the persuit of happiness?" Have you heard anyone ask that question?

When we get better reporting and interviewing, our ideas as to what is good and bad and right and wrong may some day become balanced. Right now there are few to none balanced stations.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM

41,886 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Rude????? It was an incredibly cordial interview. Another great example of why Terry Gross is the best interviewer in the US.
I found no bias or rudeness in her interviewing at all, either. She asked questions and challenged answers in order to clarify the subject's response for the listeners. That's what any good interviewer will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh, the poutrage.
"Poutrage"! I love it!

Quote:
You have to listen to both programs back to back. There is a big difference.
I'm beginning to think that you haven't listened to either interview at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You must be watching the wrong news because I have NEVER seen a reporter on any of the local networks that I watch state an opinion. Ever.
I can't figure out this "bias" business, either. Apparently some people think that reporting news they don't want to hear about or don't like is "bias".

Quote:
And if you don't know that NPR is leftist, I doubt there is any hope in anyone trying to explain to you what is leftist about them. Everybody knows they lean way to the left.
Pssst ... You and the OP are not "everybody".

Quote:
A reporter paid for with public funds needs to first be neutral on all reporting. Our government does not need to be spinning the news.
Do you know exactly where Terry Gross' salary comes from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It is decidedly not the role of a journalist to sit back and uncritically accept whatever silly or mendacious claims their subjects might care to make.
Thank you!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,558 times
Quote:
Then you either don't know when someone has stated an opinion or you haven't watched any news. Guess you didn't see the presidential debates. Or maybe you know nothing about body language and the raised eyebrow, etc. Opinions do not have to be verbal but on CNN and MSNBC some of the reporters seem to think their job is deciding whether the person talking said it right. That is not their job. All they need to do is ask the question. Whether the answer is a truth or lie should be left to the viewer.

As I said before, I don't care what the interviewer thinks. They are just a mouthpiece because most of the ones I see have no talents beyond that scale. And lately we are getting some that don't even know how to match up nouns and verbs. I find that so sad.

And if you don't know that NPR is leftist, I doubt there is any hope in anyone trying to explain to you what is leftist about them. Everybody knows they lean way to the left. And I agree with Romney. If they cannot get more to the center and stop being bias, we don't need to be funding them anymore. A reporter paid for with public funds needs to first be neutral on all reporting. Our government does not need to be spinning the news.
I believe that I did just state that I watch the news. I also said I have never seen a reporter state an opinion on a news story. That's not my opinion, that is my reality. Perhaps your view is a little skewed to BELIEVE you've heard an opinion when an opinion isn't actually there at all. Now, I find it interesting that you left out Fox News. Are you saying that network does not state opinions? And I'm really hoping that someone will finally answer this question: how is NPR leftist? Does anyone care to give actual examples? You know, fact?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,982,076 times
Liberal bigotry against Christians condoned by the media? Can't say I'm shocked but it's still disappointing that the so-called intellectual elitists practice bigotry on a daily basis because they can't defend their backwards ideology otherwise.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,802 times
Quote:
The bias comes with the lack of hard questions for people with leftist views. When you ask the hard questions to a person with a conservative view and give the smile and nod to the liberal, then the idea that you are biased comes through.
If that were true then I would agree with you but since your original contention is completely imaginary and you can provide not even one example of that for a single announcer much less the whole network I'm going to have reject your wild accusation as unfounded.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,592,494 times
Quote:
I actually feel a little pity at anyone who can't see the leftist bias in so much media these days. The president even goes after channels or commentators directly if they disagree with him. I've never seen or heard of such activity in recent history.

I pity you because I know that reality is eventually going to come down hard on you at some point.
That is why liberals and normal people think conservatives are bat **** crazy...

Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
Basically this is nothing but a complaint that someone was rude to someone who is anti-abortion. And it's an opportunity to say "You're picking on us! I don't like liberals! They are mean!"

Yeah, well so is morning traffic. Get a grip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies