Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

I watched a pretty amazing program last night that some of you all are familiar with, Bill Maher’s HBO program, Real Time. Well on this show he had Chris Matthews, Joel Stein, and Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee from Texas. During the show he had some “9-11 truthers” start a shouting match that led Bill to leap from his chair and put down this small rebellion, much to the entertainment of his audience.

However, I also watched one of the most amazing interviews with a political figure, but it wasn’t a US politician. Gary Kasparov, the famous grand chess master from Russia who is running for President. Now it may just be the fact that the man is a grand chess master and his level of intellect is a few notches higher than most politicians but I noticed something that Chris Matthews later commented on.

During the interview, Kasparov went on to say he would not eat at establishments he was unfamiliar with and that he kept his own personal body guards for protection, as well as keeping his family on the move. All this because he fears for his own life just because he is running for President of Russia. Now THAT takes courage. In addition to this, the man spoke at a level of competency that I am not used to seeing from many political figures in the United States. His grasp of geopolitics and the motivations of Putin were stark and vivid.

He went on to explain how Putin benefits from high oil prices and that it is in Putin’s best interest to keep the Middle East in chaos. One gets a feeling that when then US national security adviser under Jimmy Carter, Brzezinski laid the “Afghan Trap” in order to lure the Soviet Union into a wider war with Afghanistan, that the same was happening again, except the difference being the US was the one being trapped.

After this stunningly candid and concise interview, Chris Matthews made the statement, “you get the feeling they are playing chess and we are playing checkers”, and I could not agree more. After months of watching what various US Presidential candidates have been giving lip service to, I am deeply concerned that Americans are simply attracted to the cult of personality, the empty suit over any person of substance and this will eventually haunt us to the grave.

Here is one link to the exchange, and if anyone finds a transcript from the show, please post a link

ChessBase.com - Chess News - Kasparov on Maher – checkmate in two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
I can't add anything to your post. It was just an amazing interview. Why can't we have a candidate like Kasparov? I saw his Sixty Minute interview. Here's the link:
Garry Kasparov: The Match Of His Life, Steve Kroft Interviews The Chess Legend About His Political Ambitions - CBS News

The uproar in the audience was precipitated by Bill's remarks on New Rules a couple weeks ago. He asked that the nutcases that still believe Building 7 was destroyed by bush and company to please stop asking him to discuss it on the show. I hope they frisk the audience for guns. Where were the security people?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Thank you both for posting the info and links.

I'll try to catch up and watch.

Yes, Kasparov is smart, and yes, our guys (either side of the fence) are sadly lacking in the intellectual acumen some of the politicos outside of the States have in trumps.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:27 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
I saw it as well and while I enjoy his show which I feel even in its satire etc, still takes the depth to a level not demonstrated on most programs which are supposed. That interview in particular show we aren't even at the grown ups' table on these matters.

Please let's not discuss boring geo-politics, let's discuss flag pins, Britney and fake issues like the "war on Christmas"

Old 10-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Of course a few of us, no names mentioned, can form a smoking corner (figurative only) and talk geopolitics.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:13 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default For those how missed it.

YouTube - CHESS MASTER GARRY KASPAROV EXPLAINS POLITICAL NATURE OF OIL

Excellent interview. The argument of Putin want oil at high price made sense to me. I believe Oil is basically run by a state owned company in Russia. Not sure but I think this to be true.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:17 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default Oppps.

Opps look like TnHilltopper already had a link to video up. Sorry guys I'll keep my post up just in case someone misses it the first time around.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:43 PM

No problem for me...I enjoyed watching it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Opps look like TnHilltopper already had a link to video up. Sorry guys I'll keep my post up just in case someone misses it the first time around.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Of course a few of us, no names mentioned, can form a smoking corner (figurative only) and talk geopolitics.
Since you have watched those and looking back to a previous discussion we were having that related to the "Afghan trap", I think you can see why this struck me like a bolt of lightning when I heard it. It begs one to wonder, if we are not being played like a out of tune cello.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:27 PM

I always wanted to play a string instrument, but never wanted to be played.

Yes, I agree, we are being played in several directions. And I suffer so from a strong imagination and it goes in so many different and nerve-wracking directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Since you have watched those and looking back to a previous discussion we were having that related to the "Afghan trap", I think you can see why this struck me like a bolt of lightning when I heard it. It begs one to wonder, if we are not being played like a out of tune cello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies