Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

Well I am just shocked. I mean who would think the white house would blame anybody else for the economy??

White House press secretary Jay Carney laid the blame for a surprise economic contraction squarely at the feet of congressional Republicans Wednesday, saying economic threats during the "fiscal cliff" negotiations had prevented important defense spending.

"Our economy is facing a major headwinds, and that's Republicans in Congress," Carney said.[LEFT]
White House: GOP responsible for contracting economy - The Hill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM

Wait they blamed the hurricane too almost forgot.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Back up a moment. Didn't Carney also say months ago that there would be no layoffs or spending reductions due to the fiscal cliff talks because nothing was set in stone. They even went out of their way to tell their contractors NOT to put out WARN notices to the workers.

And then said even if they went over the fiscal cliff that it would be March-May before any real layoffs had to happen.

So which is it Mr. Carney ?

Got to have a good memory these days because the press if full of idiots that are too wimped out to question the "edicts from on high".

Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I am just shocked. I mean who would think the white house would blame anybody else for the economy??

White House press secretary Jay Carney laid the blame for a surprise economic contraction squarely at the feet of congressional Republicans Wednesday, saying economic threats during the "fiscal cliff" negotiations had prevented important defense spending.

"Our economy is facing a major headwinds, and that's Republicans in Congress," Carney said.[LEFT]
White House: GOP responsible for contracting economy - The Hill

I'm fine with that. The GOP is responsible for slashing government spending, but also 2.2% increase in consumer spending, and 8% increase in investment

Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Back up a moment. Didn't Carney also say months ago that there would be no layoffs or spending reductions due to the fiscal cliff talks because nothing was set in stone. They even went out of their way to tell their contractors NOT to put out WARN notices to the workers.

And then said even if they went over the fiscal cliff that it would be March-May before any real layoffs had to happen.

So which is it Mr. Carney ?

Got to have a good memory these days because the press if full of idiots that are too wimped out to question the "edicts from on high".
Well they had an election to win then.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Tell me how the "threat of sequestration" only affected one agency where they cut back.
Please, someone tell me how that is even remotely possible.

They didn't even start talking fiscal cliff woes in Congress until AFTER the elections.

Hogwash is what I say. Carney could have said the drop was due to the "movie" as just as good as an excuse.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM

Actually what Careny is trying to blame on republicans is the doing of dirty harry reid. The do nothing senate has their shelf so full of things they don't even know where to start.

Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), pointed the finger of blame for the still-looming sequester back at the White House.
"These arbitrary, automatic cuts were a creation and demand of the White House in 2011," said Buck. "Twice the House has passed legislation to replace them with common sense cuts and reforms. If there was any uncertainty late last year about the sequester, it was because the Democratic-controlled Senate, per usual, never lifted a finger to pass a plan to replace it.”

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM

420 posts, read 334,976 times
One party blaming the other? This is news. Yes, shocking. I'm so shocked the ground is shaking. Take cover everyone.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wait they blamed the hurricane too almost forgot.
Did they blame it on the flu epidemic too

Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM

With all those wars ending and troops coming home wouldn't it be logical that defense spending went down ?
We need wars now to keep the economy humming and the public happy ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies