Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,just last week, I read a letter by a black man on the internet stating he doesn't like thick dark skinned women,he only like light skinned thick women.

I just know it can't be in those girls's heads that dark skin is considered inferior.
When I'm not on cd,I her these things all the time.
My mom remembers her mixed sister telling her"white people look so clean when they dress up".
The above post truly begs the question, why is a non-Black woman so very highly invested in what Black people think/say/do?

Wow, jerseygal4u read the opinion of ONE "black man on the internet" who said that he doesn't like thick, dark skinned Black women...well I guess that one post on the internet settles it then, right?

BTW, the opinions of these men FAR outweighs the opinion of a random "black man on the internet": Barack Obama, George Lucas, Robert DeNiro, Prince Albert of Monaco, Roland Betts (billionaire), Peter Norton(billionaire), Vladamir Doronin (Russian billionaire), Prince Maximillian of Liechtenstein (the wealthiest of the European royal families), Wissam Al Mana (billionaire married to Janet Jackson), Patrice Motsepe (South African billionaire)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
You do realize most aren't married,in the pics you posted?
My other issue is lots have straight weaves or perms in their hair. Lastly,Janet is dark skinned.
You know,maybe I just spent too much time in the P and C forum.

Do you all remember the incident with the long time residents of Martha's vineyard and Michelle Obama?
I've read that many blacks didn't want her there because she wasn't one of them(code for being light skinned).
I'm surprised you didn't put Michelle up there.
But then,it might prove my point. She gets trashed about her looks daily,esp from black men and women.
Yes,black people have written very nasty things about her.
Most of the couples that I posted in the pictures are MARRIED or ENGAGED (George Lucas/Mellody Hobson) with the exception of Vladamir Doronin/ Naomi Campbell and Prince Albert (and the mother of his acknowledged son)

Wow, you certainly are highly invested in making sure that Black women "know their place" . Why are you so bothered by the idea of Black women being with wealthy men (particularly multi-millionaires and billionaires)?

And, you also don't seem concerned that White women like Paris Hilton, Kim Kartrashian, and most other White female celebs use hair extensions, bleach and Japanese hair straighteners. You do, however, seem to be quite FIXATED on Black women for some reason.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times
Quote:
Well,just last week, I read a letter by a black man on the internet stating he doesn't like thick dark skinned women,he only like light skinned thick women.

I just know it can't be in those girls's heads that dark skin is considered inferior.
When I'm not on cd,I her these things all the time.
My mom remembers her mixed sister telling her"white people look so clean when they dress up".
Lets see here. I have been surrounded by Black men my entire life who love dark skinned women, and you want to bring up what some lost dude on the internet has to say. Most of the men in my immediate and extended family are married to dark skinned women, so save it. My own boyfriend, a dark skinned man, loves my dark skin color. What you hear when your not on CD is meaningless because I never hear negative things about dark skinned women in my environment. Your mom's mixed sister seems mixed-up and confused, which would be typical.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM

247 posts, read 354,146 times
Quote:
You do realize most aren't married,in the pics you posted?
My other issue is lots have straight weaves or perms in their hair. Lastly,Janet is dark skinned.
You know,maybe I just spent too much time in the P and C forum.

Do you all remember the incident with the long time residents of Martha's vineyard and Michelle Obama?
I've read that many blacks didn't want her there because she wasn't one of them(code for being light skinned).
I'm surprised you didn't put Michelle up there.
But then,it might prove my point. She gets trashed about her looks daily,esp from black men and women.
Yes,black people have written very nasty things about her.
I straighten my hair. I prefer the way I look with my hair straighten opposed to it being in its natural state. I don't think every black woman has to wear her hair in its natural state

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1234 View Post
I've been thinking lately that it would be great to be an Asian American woman.
Over 98 percent of Asian American women have partners, I rarely see any Asian women alone. Also, Asian woman tend to get the best type of educated and professional men.

I'm black and I have a great education, also I'm thin and cute, but I'm alone, and I know it's due to my race. Professional high earning men tend to prefer Asian and white women. Please spare me the few examples, such as Obama, and others because this is simply not the norm.

I just wonder what a black young woman can do to garner the same respect as Asian women?
I am very shy and soft spoken, with a very good career. Also, I'm a size 2.

What am I doing wrong, how can I get quality guys to see past the fact that I'm black?
Your problem is you, not your race. You've managed to convince yourself that being black is the reason are without a partner.

You are without a partner because of any reason but race. Professional men with high incomes prefer women who don't have racial issues and you sure do.

Being a size 2 doesn't matter. Being cute doesn't matter. You don't respect yourself and that is what matters. When you figure that out and do something about it, you'll find a partner.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM

15 posts, read 25,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
I straighten my hair. I prefer the way I look with my hair straighten opposed to it being in its natural state. I don't think every black woman has to wear her hair in its natural state
I get annoyed when people make comments about black women who choose to straighten their hair. It's almost like asking, why do some white women choose to dye their hair blonde or red, or why do some white women choose to get curly perms? I think if we were to compare the various races of women, we would find that black women do the least to alter their appearances. I have a relaxer, but it's not like it is permanent. If I choose to forgo getting the relaxer, my hair will revert back to its natural state. Sometimes I do like to wear clip on extensions that blend very well with my own hair. The great thing about the extensions is, I can add them or take them out when I please, with minimum damage to my hair. So my question is, given all of the cosmetic procedures that so many non black women engage in, why do they feel the need to judge black women about such a small issue like hair straighteners and extensions? It's not like black women are getting eyelid surgery, lip injections, going to tanning salons, getting breast implants or botox procedures in huge numbers. If a person chooses to get these procedures, they shouldn't be judged because they have the right to do whatever they wish with their own body, but I'm tired of the double talk.

Far too many people hold black women to a standard that they don't hold other women to. According to these people, black women should be all natural and never dye or flat iron or relax our hair. The people that hold this opinion, seem to never have a problem with the bleached blondes, or women who wear curly perms. It's only bad if black women do it. They fail to realize that black women are just like any other women. We like experimenting with different looks and trying out new styles.

Now the topic of skin color really hits home, because to a degree I did allow my dark shade to get the best of me at times, when I felt like I wasn't valued. It was very agonizing because on the one hand you want to believe that if you just have great self esteem you will be fine, but then you are confronted with how many people perceive you.

In the dating world there is most certainly a hierarchy. I don't believe that all black women are on the bottom of the structure, but many will be placed there if they do not have an acceptable skin tone and Euro type facial features. I would describe myself as an attractive person. I don't have any pronounced features like a big nose, or even big lips. I have what is commonly referred to as "chinky eyes" because my eyes are small and I have high cheek bones. My nose is on the small side and I was always told by my mom and sister that I had a perfect nose, because it was pretty and delicate. My family said that skin color wasn't important, but those words didn't shield me from my cousins who often bragged about their lighter skin tones, and were made to feel, by family as though they had hit the jack pot.

I tried not to care about color, but I do recall many instances when it became a major factor. I had a biracial friend with very light skin and she was told by the various black guys in school that she was God's Gift. My friend wasn't trying to show off or be rude, but you could definitely tell that she knew that people placed her on a certain level and other girls, like me were "beneath her" in the looks department. Was she pretty? Definitely. But in reality, she was no more or less prettier than myself or my other friends who happened to be dark. The main difference was really just color. In fact, she had a big nose and a big forehead. But she was definitely very light, so I guess that made up for her features.

I still held myself in high esteem and it payed off because a really smart, popular and very handsome guy who happened to be half German and half Ethiopian asked me out. I didn't know that my friend liked him, but she later confided that she wanted to go to the prom with him. Long story short, she just could not believe that he asked me out. She had the attention of most of the black guys at the school, who were my complexion, but little to no attention from the guy who she really liked. Talk about ironic!

When I would walk to school, girls who were dark and light would ask me all types of questions like, when did I start going out with my boyfriend. I didn't think anything of those questions until a few girls, some of them I considered friends started saying that I wasn't pretty enough for him and that he could do much better. I didn't care about his light skin or green eyes or that he was very tall, I cared more about the fact that he was brilliant, in all AP classes and co captain of the basketball team. I was really hurt by the out right jealousy that I experienced. Many of the light girls felt that I shouldn't have someone like him, and this hurt me tremendously.

I remember having a discussion with my boyfriend about the girls who were constantly giving me a hard time, and he felt like the entire topic was trivial, because as he put it, "of all the things to talk about why something so foolish." Although he tried to act like he was above this issue, the first time we kissed, he asked me if I ever kissed a "white boy" before. Although he was definitely light enough to pass for white, I wondered why he hadn't thought of himself as biracial. I later learned that he had a very low opinion of most black boys at my school. Clearly he had his own color and identity issues that he was dealing with.

In a strange way, the black boys at my school seemed to have a love/hate relationship with girls that looked like me. On the one hand, we were called all types of horrible names and made fun of because we weren't light enough, but the moment that a non black guy showed interest, they became enraged. I didn't understand all of the dynamics at the time, but now when I analyze the situation, I know that many of the black guys at my school suffered from tremendous self hate.

My boyfriend was in all AP classes and very popular. He could have modeled for calvin klein, and many of the black guys were highly jealous of him. One time I was on the side of the court, while he was playing basketball and I recall one of the black players said to him (out of nowhere) that I was dark and his "girl" looked so much better than me. Even 'till this day, many years later I cry when I think about those words. I was always classy, and respectful to others and I just couldn't believe that this particular guy who was 3 shades darker than me, would have the nerve to make that comment for all to hear. It was kind of like saying to my boyfriend, you could do so much better, why do you want her, when you could have a light chick or a white one.

Most of the guys who were on the varsity basketball team were all black and barely passing their remedial classes. When my boyfriend called the guy who made the comment, retarded, he became enraged and started hurling more negative language at me, and I wasn't even on the court. I hated how I was always targeted. I never had to say a word, my boyfriend always defended me but after a while, I really started believing that I wasn't good enough for him. I would look in the mirror and just stare at myself because so many people had told me that I was pretty, so it just didn't make any sense to me why those group of black boys and many girls had decided to target me. Mind you, I didn't hear a peep out of those people until I started dating Mr. GQ.

The crazy part is, many of those guys loved making color comments, but couldn't really take it when it was hurled back at them. If anyone joked about their skin tone, they were always eager to fight them and call them racist. Somehow they didn't see that their comments were racist towards me as well!

My experiences as a teen definitely shaped my identity and I found myself very fixated on color. I know this sounds really crazy but I would never want my future children to have the same experiences. My boyfriend is biracial, he looks a lot like my boyfriend from my teen years, and if things didn't work out with us, I would definitely be searching for another biracial or Hispanic guy. I wonder if it's simply a matter of opposite skin shades attracting. I can't say for sure, I just know that I have never dated a black guy before due to my preferences.

I apologize for the very long posting, but once I began typing, I couldn't stop.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
why stop with asian? go straight for white... not only will you have privilege, you can avoid (racial) discrimination, and be on top of the totem pole

I love how everyone thinks that all white people are somehow "privileged" now...talk about stereotyping!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Hopefully this little cutie and all of the other beautiful little Black girls who look just like her will NEVER adopt your outlook on the perception of their attractiveness.

That little girl is beyond cute.

I love her hair.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Leanne,

I applaud what you've gone through. I'm pretty sure those guys who gave you hell back then are probably: a) prison, b) dead or, c) asking if you want fries with your order.

I think in life, no matter what you're doing or who you are, there are going to be people who won't like you for one reason or another.

I'm Asian and my GF is black. We haven't had any issues and I really couldn't care less what other people think; and those who don't have their own life in order really need to keep their mouths shut. I'm doing pretty well for myself and plan on continuing to do so in the future. Others opinion be damned!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I love how everyone thinks that all white people are somehow "privileged" now...talk about stereotyping!
talk about denial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies