Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Food, probably.
I wonder if they would down a Big Mac.

And survive!

Last edited by Statutory Ape; 01-31-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
I wonder if they would down a Big Mac.

And survive!
I would think not......
Probably a stroke of the worst kind.........

Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What you are experiencing is what it means to deal with liberals and liberalism. Its a mental disorder of the worst kind. You are now finding that out.

As someone with a supremely logical and rational mind, I appreciate you posting this awesome story!
Do you live entirely to hate liberals? Is that what keeps you going from day to day?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Next time I will post a long diatribe about how the purple telletubbie is going to take over the world with his gay agenda, that may captivate your attention better.
I already did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
5. On October 12, 2000, 17 U.S. sailors lost there lives on the USS Cole, and this was done by:

(a) The purple Teletubbie
(b) Gary Condit
(c) LA Crips
(d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rity-quiz.html

Quote:
(I am not the author of this quiz - the writer is unknown - I have transcribed the quiz from the book Flying Blind: How Political Correctness Continues to Compromise Airline Safety Post 9/11. - by Michael Smerconish.)

Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
The several hundred thousand people living in Alaska, myself included, beg to differ with your bull**** statement.
All one has to do is go to the Alaska forum and see how many inquire about moving/living in Alaska.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:14 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
So do guns according to the left.

Why didn't they ban Stalin?

In Soviet Russia, you don't ban Stalin, Stalin ban YOU!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It's not whatever. The communist ideology that the Bolsheviks had were slightly different than Stalin.
They were still atheists.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It is, but these people evidently had few survival skills suitable to the environment that they chose. For instance, they didn't hunt very effectively, using persistence hunting and some sort of traps, when making bows and arrows or even spears could have increased their meat supply. They were weaving cloth patches for their clothes, instead of tanning the hides that they could have used to supplement for shoes and cloaks/coats, at minimum. They complained of living without salt, but I wonder if they tried tracking any animals to their sources of salt (salt licks)? They did not figure out how to cook without their kettles, which rusted beyond use. Et cetera.
This is what surprised me. They survived but they weren't doing what I would call living and they certainly weren't thriving. In contrast I've watched a few pieces on life in Siberia where young men were dumped off in the fall without much of anything to survive (no warm weather gear and minimal skills) and they stayed and thrived over time. The things they did, learned and taught themselves is amazing whereas this family sounds like they were almost living in the middle ages as far as tools, gear and conditions go.

No offense to them but in 40 years, I'm going to put a real floor down and at the very least be using furs for insulation on the walls but maybe that's just me.

Still a very interesting story. I'm not quite sure why it's controversial though.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I don't know a lot about Russia but isn't America much more developed etc....Alaska yeah but I hate the freezing cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well they have many millions in Siberia. It's all relative.

Actually, timberline, it's NOT all relative. From the story:

"This forest is the last and greatest of Earth’s wildernesses. It stretches from the furthest tip of Russia’s arctic regions as far south as Mongolia, and east from the Urals to the Pacific: five million square miles of nothingness, with a population, outside a handful of towns, that amounts to only a few thousand people"

Alaska --- the entire state -- is 663,000 square miles. This Siberian forest was nearly 8 times as big, with a few thousand people living there.

THAT is desolate.

Great post, OP. I've read about the Japanese man that was still "fighting" WWII, but I had never read this story before. I'm not an extrovert by any means, but I definitely could not have lived like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies