Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,258,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I worked as a temp for a few years. There were pros and cons. I got a ton of experience in different industries, networked (and made some personal friends that I still talk to today) etc. But being a temp is financially difficult. Many times you cannot get healthcare through the agency nor are you paid what you are truly worth.
This is because the company that hires you as a temp must pay the agency your salary, and the agency must make a profit. It was the agency that issued your paycheck, right? But I'm sure the agency was charging the company at least what the position was worth.

Quote:
I agree with your assertion about the implications such a practice would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Let me also add I hope this is a lesson to people who believe companies will do the right thing towards the workers without unions. Companies will do anything they can get away with in order to cut costs and maximize profits. We need unions and we need workers' voices to push back on the companies.
I think most companies treat their employees fairly. With an attitude such as yours, you'd be the last person I would consider hiring. This is why you need a union.

A business owner realizes that good employees are like gold. If they don't treat them fairly, they will not be able to hire good employees. The market sets the pay scale for a position. There is a range, and the amount an employee gets paid within that range is dependent upon that employees developed skills and experience. When an employee reaches the top of that range, he/she must be advanced to a new position (if knowledge and skills have warranted it) or remain at that rate of pay. It's that simple.

Most people wish to advance in their position. Most people are not satisfied to do the same job for their entire life. They seek to 'get ahead.' Perhaps that isn't you.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-31-2013 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course staffing companies differ, but many of the better ones are now offering benefits packages in order to attract the best employees:

Express Employment Professionals

Manpower | Associates | Benefits

Working for Spherion - Benefit Plans and Training
You just said a mouthful!

Those who think employers are evil and trying to get off as cheap as possible do not understand the reality that there is a market for good employees, just as there is a market for the products they sell, and if they want the best in employees, they must offer good pay and benefits.

The union types do not understand this. They will always view a relationship with an employer as an adversarial one. They will be forever beholden to the union, and never in control of their own destiny.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,355,764 times
Quote:
Are there?

Are the temp employees part of that union? I'll bet a lobster dinner they are not.
How is the union protecting their workers when they allow temp employees? you can see the writing on the wall union workers is fired/retired and replaced with temp employee. You are right the temps are not union they do not have to be.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Sorry, but I thought this thread was referring to the current trend in employment. Am I wrong?
My point is temp workers faced the same issues long before Obama and his AHCA came about. It's silly and factually wrong to blame him or the act for the greediness of employers.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think most companies treat their employees fairly. With an attitude such as yours, you'd be the last person I would consider hiring. This is why you need a union.

A business owner realizes that good employees are like gold. If they don't treat them fairly, they will not be able to hire good employees. The market sets the pay scale for a position. There is a range, and the amount an employee gets paid within that range is dependent upon that employees developed skills and experience. When an employee reaches the top of that range, he/she must be advanced to a new position (if knowledge and skills have warranted it) or remain at that rate of pay. It's that simple.

Most people wish to advance in their position. Most people are not satisfied to do the same job for their entire life. They seek to 'get ahead.' Perhaps that isn't you.
Without workers' rights laws and unions, companies would not give employees anything and they'd overwork them as much as possible. If you know your history, you know this is true.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-31-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
How is the union protecting their workers when they allow temp employees? you can see the writing on the wall union workers is fired/retired and replaced with temp employee. You are right the temps are not union they do not have to be.
Huh?

The union protects the workers by stating what they will and will not do. What the union workers won't do, temp workers will. Proctor & Gamble does this.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,355,764 times
Quote:
Huh?

The union protects the workers by stating what they will and will not do. What the union workers won't do, temp workers will. Proctor & Gamble does this.
Oh I get it the workers can dictate to a employer what they will and will not do, another poster was right people like you need unions. In the real world a worker who refuses to do what his employer requested finds their sorry A$$es hitting the door.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It makes sense to just hire temps rather than long term employees. The various local, state and federal regulations don't encourage companies to hire long term employees. That is the new norm for millions of workers.
And I think we'll see more and more of that. We did it to ourselves.
Demand higher salaries, demand better benefits, demand certain coverage, financial demands on companies and mandated by the government.

Benefits of a company have turned into entitlements, expected and demanded if not provided.

And companies are reacting and adapting to the change. This is not the result people expected.
Did they think companies would just roll over and comply and start taking on losses ?

Sad to say the good days of working for a corporation and having benefits are over.
People wanted more and companies said no. Now you can get your own health insurance. Now you can save yourself for retirement. Now you can pay for that Masters Degree to further you in your job.

Soon enough you'll be an independent and then responsible to pay your own self employment taxes.
Companies are slowly washing their hands of employees and the demands that go with them.

And it's easy enough to just outsource your work (like bookkeeping or accounting) and pay just a fee rather than hire one on for your company. Small business is doing this as they cut to the bone in order to be able to make profits. And so many of the "tax the rich" group think a company should report no profits and that more company money go to the employees in either salary or company benefits.

People demanded and got government to pass laws to mandate and companies said NO by changing their practices.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Oh I get it the workers can dictate to a employer what they will and will not do, another poster was right people like you need unions. In the real world a worker who refuses to do what his employer requested finds their sorry A$$es hitting the door.
But unions prevent that from happening. It's "job security".

And some wonder why companies are relocating to Right to Work states and not going union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies