Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Current federal tax rates are among the lowest in modern history.

The United States is a democracy and in a democracy people may get elected who you do not like.

The word "democracy" is not mentioned anywhere in the US Constitution. We are a Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Really??? Does nobody give credit to the authors anymore? I'll not even bother reading any more of that post either.

As the Center for American Progress put it: “The economy most certainly would have grown at a faster rate were it not for the ongoing political brinksmanship over the debt ceiling and the risk of sharp fiscal contraction in the form of the pending automatic ‘sequestration’ budget cuts.”

From my previous post:

I agree with the article...so I put it up......I meant to copy the URL.......You'll just have to forgive me on that one if you can find it in your heart.

The deflection is interesting though...Most people argue the point instead of whining about it's source. Can we take this as you not having a rebuttal?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Can you believe Obama has an approval rating of 60%....Dumbing Down Of America!!!

President Obama’s popularity surges to three-year high
As others have said, federal income tax is the lowest it's been in our lifetimes and then some.

Back in the 50's the highest tax bracket was in excess of 90%, necessary to pay down the accumulated debt of the Great Depression and WW2. It seems that people then, understood and took care of business instead of blaming and kicking the can into the future.

That portion of one's earned income greater than $400/$450K is now subject a higher rate than it was prior to 2001/3. Those tax cuts were not offset with reduced spending and contributed to the debt that almost doubled during Bush's 2 terms. This does not mean, the cuts were soley responsible for the debt.

Loyal Republicans also were not concerned when Reagan substantially increased Payroll taxes and then use that incremental income for defitic spending -contributing to an accumulated doubling of the national debt over his two terms. They also did not seem concerned when Reagan, the advocate of a balanced budget, never not once, submitted a balanced budget.

Right now, is a bipartisan accumulation of lousy legislation, fiscal planning/kicking the can over the past 40 years. But heck, we all need a hobby so continue to keep your beak in the sand and play the "Blame the Obama" game.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As others have said, federal income tax is the lowest it's been in our lifetimes and then some.

Back in the 50's the highest tax bracket was in excess of 90%, necessary to pay down the accumulated debt of the Great Depression and WW2. It seems that people then, understood and took care of business instead of blaming and kicking the can into the future.

That portion of one's earned income greater than $400/$450K is now subject a higher rate than it was prior to 2001/3. Those tax cuts were not offset with reduced spending and contributed to the debt that almost doubled during Bush's 2 terms. This does not mean, the cuts were soley responsible for the debt.

Loyal Republicans also were not concerned when Reagan substantially increased Payroll taxes and then use that incremental income for defitic spending -contributing to an accumulated doubling of the national debt over his two terms. They also did not seem concerned when Reagan, the advocate of a balanced budget, never not once, submitted a balanced budget.

Right now, is a bipartisan accumulation of lousy legislation, fiscal planning/kicking the can over the past 40 years. But heck, we all need a hobby so continue to keep your beak in the sand and play the "Blame the Obama" game.
They'd rather b*tch about the source of the argument than defend their "beliefs."

Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
From my previous post:

I agree with the article...so I put it up......I meant to copy the URL.......You'll just have to forgive me on that one if you can find it in your heart.

The deflection is interesting though...Most people argue the point instead of whining about it's source. Can we take this as you not having a rebuttal?
We already had one plagiarist so you'll forgive me if I inferred you as well. BTW, you only made mention of the article after someone brought it to your attention, so get off your high horse.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
They'd rather b*tch about the source of the argument than defend their "beliefs."
We just like to know who we are debating, Mr. CutAndPaste or an actual person.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Can you cite these Republicans who "argue that our disappointing jobs performance has somehow been caused by excessive government spending, which crowds out private job creation."
Yes, Mitt Romney made it one of his campaign mottoes.

Quote:
I've not heard this case made, except by PAUL KRUGMAN who said exactly the same thing. Amazing how you and PAUL are so in tune on this very thought, very curious indeed.
It wasn't exact, it was similar but you don't have any idea how being accused of being in the same mindframe and intellectual company of Paul Krugman is indeed a compliment. Now, all I need is the Nobel.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Current federal tax rates are among the lowest in modern history.

kind of spinning there

federal INCOME taxes are at some of their lowest "rates"

but federal "all types" of taxes at at some of the highest

Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
obama clause + parasites who vote = the new america.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

1. many, many ''write-offs' back then
2. the rich (top bracket) in the 1950s was those households making more than 380k...over 3 million in todays dollars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies