Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
She should be thankful that God is giving her an opportunity to learn some humility, but somehow, by her "outrage" toward the waitress she stiffed, I doubt she will learn anything but to claim victimhood in the matter. In the meantime, the waitress is out of a job. God must be so proud of the good pastor.
Yup, and it's her own darned fault. Stupid should hurt. And sometimes stupid gets you fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Actually, he's probably a pretty good example of a modern-day hypocrisy-filled American Christian. First he and his party of twenty-something people take on the services, knowing the policies full well for such groups that exist in virtually all restaurants, then he decides to stiff the below-minimum wage server after he's full.

Probably votes Republican / Tea Party, too. Note the trend of the conservatives practically tripping over themselves in their rush to defend these kinds of disgraceful actions. That's hardly surprising.
Nope, it was a BLACK WOMAN pastor. She DID leave a tip. The automatic 18% plus cash was left by each person at the table.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
most times if the service is great I will leave 20%

but the facts remain...tips are not manditory

if the service sucks..they wont get a good tip
You are missing the point...the restaurant has a policy that groups over a certain number will be assessed an 18% gratuity up front. It's not "optional." That's the restaurants policy. What is so hard to grasp about that?

If someone really has a problem with this policy (again, stated up front on the menu), they should talk to the manager or owner, not take it out on the waitress who doesn't set the policy. Of course, it's always easiest to take out your anger on the person on the bottom of the ladder, right?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
most times if the service is great I will leave 20%

but the facts remain...tips are not manditory

if the service sucks..they wont get a good tip
Absolutely. I have even tipped as much as 50% when the service and food was rock solid. Mostly I leave in the 20% range, but have done 50% once or twice in my time eating out.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
You are missing the point...the restaurant has a policy that groups over a certain number will be assessed an 18% gratuity up front. It's not "optional." That's the restaurants policy. What is so hard to grasp about that?

If someone really has a problem with this policy (again, stated up front on the menu), they should talk to the manager or owner, not take it out on the waitress who doesn't set the policy. Of course, it's always easiest to take out your anger on the person on the bottom of the ladder, right?
It helps to actually know what happened. She tipped the required 18% plus everyone left some cash on the table.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:

no you are missing the point...

a tip (gratuity) may (for large groups) be RECOMMENDED to be up front and 18%...its still OPTIONAL

and the FACT is he/she tiped MORE than what was requested on the reciept...the reciepts 18% was $6.29...he have he a $34 tip

should you leave 18% if you get lousy service....I think not

Last edited by workingclasshero; 01-31-2013 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Pastor Refuses to Pay Restaurant's Auto-Gratuity, Asks Server Why She Deserves a Bigger Tip Than God

I know there was a similar thread on this a while ago, but this is interesting because it brings up a religious perspective.

FYI, I think this pastor is a poor example of a Christian.
Maybe the pastor was thinking of giving a different kind of tip.

[if you know what I mean...]

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Pastor Bell claims she left $6.29 on the table and her credit card was also charged the tip amount. She also says everyone in the party left cash tips.
‘I Give God 10%’ Tip Story Takes Interesting Twist: Pastor Revealed & the Waitress Has Allegedly Been Fired | TheBlaze.com

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
no you are missing the point...

a tip (gratuity) may (for large groups) be RECOMMENDED to be up front and 18%...its still OPTIONAL

should you leave 18% if you get lousy service....I think not
In many restaurants, it is NOT OPTIONAL. The gratuity/service charge will be added to your check whether you leave cash on the table or not. I've seen wording like "An 18% gratuity will be added ..." for parties over whatever number they set. Not recommended, but "will be added".

Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
In many restaurants, it is NOT OPTIONAL. The gratuity/service charge will be added to your check whether you leave cash on the table or not. I've seen wording like "An 18% gratuity will be added ..." for parties over whatever number they set. Not recommended, but "will be added".
I've seen that many times as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies