Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,489 times

Advertisements

I never waited tables but, I've delivered pizza and it worked the same....you get paid less than minimum when you leave the restaurant to make a delivery. To be exact it was $4.65/hour. I got a tip probably 90-95% of the time. It amazed me that some people felt that tipping was optional and not necessary. It's almost insulting when you're not tipped because we had to use our own cars and buy our own gas, plus 10% of your total sales for the gets reported to the IRS as tips (income) that they assume you received. So when some one doesn't tip not only did you end up wasting your time when you could have been on another delivery that tipped, you actually lose money because you paid for the gas it took to make the delivery and you still have to pay tax on 10% of what ever the bill was (even though you got stiffed). Some deliveries easily used a gallon of gas and 30-45 minutes of time. Of course you can't say anything but, you want to tell them to use their car and their gas to pick up the pizza themselves next time. Even though you're being paid $4.65/HR, if I didn't get tipped, it could easily be a net lose of $2-4 after gas and taxes. Luckily there are people that over tip to make up for that.

Last edited by Danno3314; 02-01-2013 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,169,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I never waited tables but, I've delivered pizza and it worked the same....you get paid less than minimum when you leave the restaurant to make a delivery. To be exact it was $4.65/hour. I got a tip probably 90-95% of the time. It amazed me that some people felt that tipping was optional and not necessary. It's almost insulting when you're not tipped because we had to use our own cars and buy our own gas, plus 10% of your total sales for the gets reported to the IRS as tips (income) that they assume you received. So when some one doesn't tip not only did you end up wasting your time when you could have been on another delivery that tipped, you actually lose money because you paid for the gas it took to make the delivery and you still have to pay tax on 10% of what ever the bill was (even though you got stiffed). Some deliveries were easily used a gallon of gas and 30-45 minutes of time. Luckily there are people that over tip to make up for that.
From my perspective, why should I pay a delivery driver for doing his job? Isn't a tip for good service? What does a good driver do that a bad one can't? It just involves driving to someone's house and handing them a pizza.

Why is it my responsibility to subsidize your paycheck? Most of the pizza places in my area charge a couple bucks extra for a delivery charge....so on top of that I'm expected to give a couple of bucks to the driver?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,403,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The first image that popped into my mind was a balding, fat, white guy that preached from the King James Bible only, to be honest.
I was a server for 4 years. I'm very familiar with her type of attitude, it's usually associated with Blacks. Whites can be bad tippers but they wouldn't feel the need to be nasty about it.

For some reason many African-American, in particular the low class ones relish being nasty just to be nasty. That's what this pastor was doing and she furthered her nastiness by calling the restaurant and demanding everyone be fired.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,864,681 times
Quote:
From my perspective, why should I pay a delivery driver for doing his job? Isn't a tip for good service? What does a good driver do that a bad one can't? It just involves driving to someone's house and handing them a pizza.

Why is it my responsibility to subsidize your paycheck? Most of the pizza places in my area charge a couple bucks extra for a delivery charge....so on top of that I'm expected to give a couple of bucks to the driver?
Don't blame the delivery guy because he isn't getting the money from the pizza place. My son delivered pizzas for a well known pizza chain for about two months and quit because between paying for gas and people who were lousy tippers, he was actually losing money every day that he worked.

Now that you know this, you still want someone to come to your door with your pizza, right? If so, make sure you tip them so they will want to continue to do so.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,037,164 times
Quote:

How's that "booger" pie working out for you?

You do realize that the delivery guys in your area know that you don't tip, right?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,403,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Black people are known bad tippers. Any server will tell you that.
Yup this was a common theme throughout the restaurant community when I waited tables 15 years ago. Some servers would go so far as to bribe the hostesses not to seat Blacks in their sections. For me I operated on the law of averages so I never really cared. What would get me going was not the tip but running you around and stank attitudes. I got into several confrontations because of it looking back it's amazing I never got fired.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
And blacks wonder why waiters and cabbies don't want to wait on them.

I know many people who are professional waiters/waitstaff....they have a rotation for serving black customers.

I know a cabbie.....he said "two things can happen when picking up a black person.....you get robbed, or you get stiffed."

Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,114,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And blacks wonder why waiters and cabbies don't want to wait on them.

I know many people who are professional waiters/waitstaff....they have a rotation for serving black customers.

I know a cabbie.....he said "two things can happen when picking up a black person.....you get robbed, or you get stiffed."
If they were smarter, they'd be more concerned about waiting on Christians. But we shouldn't expect too much from wait staff.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If they were smarter, they'd be more concerned about waiting on Christians. But we shouldn't expect too much from wait staff.
Noted.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,443,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why do you say that? Is it because you are also ignorant of what actually transpired here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies