Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If the service was not up to par, then the server did not earn 18%. Nothing to do with being a good or bad person.
Bingo.... It took eight posts before someone mentions quality of service. I tell you the sense of entitlement peope have these days. Yes, this guy may have been a jerk in this case, but if the service is bad then a tip should not be given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I bet the owner of the resturant did not feel that way and enjoyed selling food to 20 people. I disagree with the automatic 18% TAX on tables of 6 or more.
I bet you're wrong. The owner of the restaurant is well aware that he isn't paying his staff a living wage, and knows if they can't make enough in tips to survive working in his establishment, he will find himself without staff. The automatic gratuity is almost always listed on the menu. If you don't want to pay it, then go someplace else.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Ah, all the wittle wiberals are all upset over the pastors tipping habits! Awwwww....too bad!

Liberals are an embarrassment to America. They need to pack their bags and leave since they
aren't happy with how this country is running.

Thanks for the chuckle, sheeple!
How about you head over the pond? No tipping there. However, you would have to leave your guns behind, bummer.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Bingo.... It took eight posts before someone mentions quality of service. I tell you the sense of entitlement peope have these days. Yes, this guy may have been a jerk in this case, but if the service is bad then a tip should not be given.
Many restaurants clearly list this as "a service charge will be added" on the menu, you have the option of accepting it or eating somewhere else but nowhere is quality of service mentioned.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I bet you're wrong. The owner of the restaurant is well aware that he isn't paying his staff a living wage, and knows if they can't make enough in tips to survive working in his establishment, he will find himself without staff. The automatic gratuity is almost always listed on the menu. If you don't want to pay it, then go someplace else.

This is a one time incident. The server made up their tips on the other tables. It all averages out over the course of a shift. Some groups might not notice the automatic 18% and then tip on top of that! That is a windfall for the server so I am not losing sleep over them.

What about the geezers in Florida that go to resturants and order a few rounds top shelf liquor drinks and then leave a pre-printed business card that reads "I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to tip.". Granpa should have chosen one less round and left something for the server.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
No server is entitled to a tip for DOING THEIR JOB. Tips are OPTIONAL.
Until we change the laws that let restaurants pay their servers $2 and something an hour, tips aren't "optional." The only time I wouldn't leave a decent tip is if the service is really horrible and the server is rude--if it's that bad I'm going to talk to the restaurant owner too. That's happened once in my life.

Try telling the electric company that you don't want to pay all of your bill because you want to spend the money someplace else.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
How about you head over the pond? No tipping there. However, you would have to leave your guns behind, bummer.
No thanks, me and my plentiful firearms aren't going anywhere.

On the other hand I'm not 100% sure the same can be said for the liberal crowd.
The fear is astounding from that side! Fun for me but it's gotta suck to be you.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
This is a one time incident. The server made up their tips on the other tables. It all averages out over the course of a shift. Some groups might not notice the automatic 18% and then tip on top of that! That is a windfall for the server so I am not losing sleep over them.
A windfall for the server? Really? Have you ever tried living on tips? I have, and I can tell you, there are a lot of guys like this pastor out there. People who wait tables for a living get stiffed more than you would imagine.

Quote:
What about the geezers in Florida that go to resturants and order a few rounds top shelf liquor drinks and then leave a pre-printed business card that reads "I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to tip.". Granpa should have chosen one less round and left something for the server.
In a word, yes. If Grandpa can't afford the price of drinking in a restaurant, then Grandpa should stay home and drink.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Until we change the laws that let restaurants pay their servers $2 and something an hour, tips aren't "optional." The only time I wouldn't leave a decent tip is if the service is really horrible and the server is rude--if it's that bad I'm going to talk to the restaurant owner too. That's happened once in my life.

Try telling the electric company that you don't want to pay all of your bill because you want to spend the money someplace else.
Can you pitiful liberals do anything without government intervention?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Me, too, and I wouldn't give 18% on principle. That's way too much.

That it's a pastor is irrelevant, but typical of Godless lefties. Talk about making a story out of nothing!
That it's a pastor is not only relevant, I would be ashamed if I were a Christian.

One thing I have learned over the years is that many Christians are Christian only when it is convenient for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies