Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It was supposedly posted to an atheist blog where it was picked up from there. Just because you scratch out the 18% on the receipt doesn't mean that you aren't still paying it when it comes out AUTOMATICALLY!

St. Louis Pastor Under Fire After Leaving Nasty Note for Waiter
She said she left cash on the table but they said no. Of course she said that after every one knew she was a cheap skate.

She crossed it out and changed the figure to EXCLUDE the tip but didn't know that it was to be automatically charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
At home and not in a restaurant. He will have a nasty reckoning when he comes to realize God is in that server he stiffed.
"He" is a "she"...right there in the article and all over this thread.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I dined at a restaurant once while on vacation where signs posted on the wall stated, "Our servers are paid a living wage, please, no tipping."

The servers were pleasant and efficient. There was another "no tipping" reminder on the menu.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
When I was a waitress summers when in college, I made far less than an average of 15%, even though I got lots of complements for efficient service and no complaints. The tip you get unfortunately has almost nothing to do with performance, and everything to do with the customer (old people and young women being notoriously cheap) and time of day (breakfast and lunch generate almost no money but take an enormous amount of work, but are required in order to get the dinner shift).
I agree with all of this. We have restuarants as clients and waitresses often don't make a whole lot and the breakfast and lunch crowd are not big tippers.

And I just want to say that not all women are bad tippers. I happen to be a good tipper but I don't try and over tip. I most always leave anywhere from 15 to 20 % for decent to good service. Even if the service is not so good, I usually leave something more than a nominal sum. I even give tips to my drive through fast food (DQ) if they get my sandwich order right. We do a lot of restuarant take out for lunch. We always give tips, the same as if we were dining in. A lot of people don't.

I think the pastor was just cheap and tried to weasel out of the extra on the bill and then got all indignant and defensive when they were caught out. Really sad but, I see a lot of that nowadays.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
The IS no story. It got posted on an atheist blog to come down on religious people and here you are spreading that narrative.
Do you really think such an event would have been posted on the mainstream media, who would NEVER do anything to invoke the ire of the religious for fear of losing advertising revenue, and are terrified of defamation lawsuits if they did?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
how does a compulsory tip work anyway?

surely this service charge is in the bill for the food etc..

Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
You are just looking for something to mad about because this person is religious. The 18% is automatic. They all left cash also according to the pastor herself. She only wrote her opinion on the receipt which we are all entitled to.
I realize that tone is frequently difficult to assess on the internet, but I'm confused as to how you think a question of logic is angry? It doesn't make sens that she'd be angry at 18% but then pay 36%. Or even, if she thought she was reducing her bill by crossing out the $6.29, why would she leave 18% on the table if it was so offensive to her? She's the one that brought religion into it, in the first place. I have a family full of religious people, and I can tell you that none of them treat waitstaff that way. They can also add.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
No server is entitled to a tip for DOING THEIR JOB. Tips are OPTIONAL.
A server is doing their job by giving you service.

If they are attentive, refilling drinks, and are clearly working hard, then yes, they deserve AT LEAST 18%.

If a server gives you good service and you tip badly you are basically TAKING money away from the server.

The ignorance of some people.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Wow. I cannot believe how many of you are defending this piece of ****, a pastor, no less. She served $200 worth of food to 20 people, hardly an expensive restaurant, and they can't tip her a measly 2 bucks a person? Shame on all of you, who have obviously never worked as a server. I tip well because it all comes back to me, it's called Karma. I promise all of you cheapos out there earn your Karma...
not really sure of your religion but most people dont believe in karma or atleast they shouldnt considering it is part of an indian religion and not Christianity or any one of the other Abrahamic religions.

that being said, yes, the group was cheap.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Where does it say anywhere in the actual article that there was no tip left? There was a generous tip left. 18% plus cash.
I don't believe that is the issue, really, I think it is the fact that the Paster was so bold to write such an insulting message on the receipt....after she was probably given very good service, yanno?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies