Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
not really sure of your religion but most people dont believe in karma or atleast they shouldnt considering it is part of an indian religion and not Christianity or any one of the other Abrahamic religions.

that being said, yes, the group was cheap.
Doesn't matter what religion any of us are....

I suspect there are many unstated premises here that can lead to erroneous conception of creation within Hinduism. In general, there are three types of "creation" in Hinduism.

(1)Nyaya Vaiseshika [NV] view - Arambhavada - this says that there is a new creation in each cycle of creation-preservation-dissolution. But the new does not mean creatio ex nihilo. Per NV, the ultimate material cause of the universe are the atoms. The atoms are beginningless. In each cycle of creation, they are rearranged to form a new universe. This is also called asatkaryavada.

(2)Samkhya view - Parinamavada - here, there is no new creation. Per Samkhya, the effect pre-exists in the cause. The difference between cause and effect is merely one of manifestation of the unmanifest. The analogy for this is that in creation, a light shines. This light helps manifest previously existing entities that were covered in darkness and hence unknown. This dawn of knowledge and light is "creation". This is also called satkaryavada.

(3)Advaita view - Vivartavada - both NV and Samkhya are realist schools (although there are idealistic interpretations of Samkhya). Per Vivartavada, creation is an appearance. Brahman is immutable, unchanging and pure consciousness. But how to account for the world of names and forms? The only rational way is to posit that the universe of names and forms are not transcendentally valid. This is why Advaita posits (at least) two levels of reality - Vyavahara and Paramartha.

Keep in mind that in all schools of Hindu philosophy, there was never a "first" creation. The universe/souls/God have an eternal past. Karma is beginningless.

I am American, born and baptized Reformed, then we changed to Luthern, then Catholic, and a whole bunch of other non-denominational churches....

Fact is, I'm not at all into organized religion, but I do believe in a Supreme being....i.e. God/Jesus. So, in the Bible, it clearly states, "do unto others" which is the same as Karma....and I SO believe in Karma, which is also connected to God.

Americans have actually lost the concept, and one of the reasons why our country is going to the dogs, is because we no longer realize, any decission we make, any act we partake in, our actions effect the lives of so many other people, either in a positive way or a negative way....it's our choice, however, if we effect lives in a negative way, it's going to come back and bite you right in the ars....and a perfect example is, THIS PASTOR writing such an indignant message on the receipt...What she accomplished by doing so, hurt a lot of people, physically, and emotionally....so, now, she suffers the consequences of humbleness and embarrassment.

If the leaders of our country do not get a grip, and stop living by the concept of immediate gratification, instead of thinking about the long term effects of their decissions, the U.S. is going to be a horrible place to live for our children and grandchildren. It has been lost in Accountablity and Responsiblity and realizing how our thoughts, words and deeds so effect the lives of others...that can be deemed Karma for certain...or any other defination, like awareness, humbleness, and responsiblity to see that all other souls that come in contact with us, are protected by our deeds, not hurt by them.

I SO BELIEVE IN KARMA which is what God has taught us thru the Bible....so, it doesn't matter what religion you are, the fact is, Karma is The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny. Doesn't the Bible say, we are going to be accountable for our sins? Same thing as Karma....Positive thoughts, yeild positive actions and spread out throughout the family circle, negative actions, stagnates, hurts and changes peoples lives.

Take for instance the spouce that cheats. He/she doesn't take into account, how many people their actions hurt....husband, wife, children, inlaws, etc. Cheating destorys people's lives....many people, and cheating, is a life changing event....a negative life changing action, which will only come back to haunt the person who cheats....divorce is a life changing event....do unto others....Karma.

So so many people actually fear other religions....but in all actuality, all religions, except what terrorists believe...have a whole lot in common...so, be open to reading and learning...if we don't I fear, our country is in for a grave awakening....how do your thoughts, words and deeds effect others/Karma

Believe it or not, we are all connected, by a very very thin, and fragile invisible thread....with nature and all things...and one effects the other...sadly, we have lost that awareness and knowledge, and have become individualists, we cannot work together, we insult each other and fight...and what that Paster did, bottom line, was wrong, wrong, wrong....she actually used her religion to hurt someone, and effect all Christains in a negative way....meaning, she has given the non-believers more ammunition to not believe.

Live life by example....which is also taught by the Bible....it is a ripple effect...which will either bless your family/freinds/aquaintences or hurt them...

Do you even realize, you could possibly go to NY City, a place where you may have never been before, and you decide to patronize a coffee shop. The only seat left, in one between two other people at the counter. You sit down at that seat, order your coffee and donut, and start talking to one of the men beside you...one of those men. You don't know what any of those people have just gone thru, maybe one of the men, just lost a wife, mother, father or child. So, your words to that person, in that second/moment in time, can effect a strangers life even for the rest of they're lives....it would be wise if we all remembered that and smiled more and taught our children self control and how to not react to situations in a negative way.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-07-2013 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I SO BELIEVE IN KARMA which is what God has taught us thru the Bible....so, it doesn't matter what religion you are, the fact is, Karma is The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny. Doesn't the Bible say, we are going to be accountable for our sins? Same thing as Karma....Positive thoughts, yeild positive actions and spread out throughout the family circle, negative actions, stagnates, hurts and changes peoples lives.

Take for instance the spouce that cheats. He/she doesn't take into account, how many people their actions hurt....husband, wife, children, inlaws, etc. Cheating destorys people's lives....many people, and cheating, is a life changing event....a negative life changing action, which will only come back to haunt the person who cheats....divorce is a life changing event....do unto others....Karma.

I was wondering why this post was still here. . .about some jackass pastor and his tipping habits.

I read this and I understand it has gone far afield. Btw. Karma is Krap seriously, if there was Karma then 1/2 the CEOs today would be homeless. I suspect that most cheaters aren't stupid enough to get caught.

Karma is for movies. Reality is about independent unrelated events and your ability to handle social/ethical/guilt.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Pastor Refuses to Pay Restaurant's Auto-Gratuity, Asks Server Why She Deserves a Bigger Tip Than God

I know there was a similar thread on this a while ago, but this is interesting because it brings up a religious perspective.

FYI, I think this pastor is a poor example of a Christian.

Maybe it was poor service? I think mandating gratuity is silly. And 18%? I tip 15% for excellent service 10 for standard, and far less when I'm waiting for my drink, my check, or have to wave someone down to ask for something.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I was wondering why this post was still here. . .about some jackass pastor and his tipping habits.

I read this and I understand it has gone far afield. Btw. Karma is Krap seriously, if there was Karma then 1/2 the CEOs today would be homeless. I suspect that most cheaters aren't stupid enough to get caught.

Karma is for movies. Reality is about independent unrelated events and your ability to handle social/ethical/guilt.
well, it is all in what one believes, isn't it....
and this thread is still here, b/c some people enjoy discussing what is going on here...it is a perfect example of kindness towards others...so, regardless of what you believe, or if you think or don't think this thread should still be going, others think it should, and it is our right to discussion, to put down our thoughts and be involved in a totally intellectual conversation about how badly this Pastor's actions were...

Karma guides us all...and is reality and all events shape or unshape people....and if money over rides a decision you make, a whole lot of people end up getting hurt...we're supposed to do what is best for the people, for the whole body and/or community...CEO's do not even talk to their employees any more...they make decissions without even knowing what they're employees do or without getting involved in every single aspect of their companies, and how they work...that is also Karma, they are effecting the lives of so many others in a negative way. CEO's have forgotten that without all the hundreds of workers under them, they would not be....CEO's have no concept of what fibers actually hold they're companies together anymore...they make decissions for money, rather than everyone involved...that would be a win, win situation and no one gets hurt. CEO's have lost the ability to even want to know everything and anything about what runs their companies....they don't even know who is working for them.

So, your missing the whole point of the topic, yes, some jack arse paster did what she did, which is a great opportunity to discuss the issue, and the complexity of her action....and why it hurt someone...even herself, her congregation, her family, a waitress lost her job...she hurt and embarrassed a whole lot of people....

We should be teaching our kids, how one slight slip of the tongue could hurt someone for the rest of their lives.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Maybe it was poor service? I think mandating gratuity is silly. And 18%? I tip 15% for excellent service 10 for standard, and far less when I'm waiting for my drink, my check, or have to wave someone down to ask for something.
well, that is what you do, and that's ok...however, times have changed...prices have gone up...everything has gone up, so the common practice is now 18%. When I waitressed, it was 10% and that was 40 years ago....

Tipping is a kind gesture to say thank you for helping me, and my guests have a nice dinner, away from home, with good friends, food and conversation.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
well, that is what you do, and that's ok...however, times have changed...prices have gone up...everything has gone up, so the common practice is now 18%. When I waitressed, it was 10% and that was 40 years ago....

Tipping is a kind gesture to say thank you for helping me, and my guests have a nice dinner, away from home, with good friends, food and conversation.
No, tipping should never be required. I don't do it out of kindness, I do it because the level of service I received was that good.

Prices have gone up, for me also. That 5 dollar plate is now 15 dollars. So instead of my tip being .50 cents, its a dollar and a half.

Now you want more?

Get better at providing service, or find other employment. Walmart hires, and we don't tip their workers.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM

172 posts, read 151,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Pastor Refuses to Pay Restaurant's Auto-Gratuity, Asks Server Why She Deserves a Bigger Tip Than God

I know there was a similar thread on this a while ago, but this is interesting because it brings up a religious perspective.

FYI, I think this pastor is a poor example of a Christian.
Very low class

Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
No, tipping should never be required. I don't do it out of kindness, I do it because the level of service I received was that good.

Prices have gone up, for me also. That 5 dollar plate is now 15 dollars. So instead of my tip being .50 cents, its a dollar and a half.

Now you want more?

Get better at providing service, or find other employment. Walmart hires, and we don't tip their workers.
whatever your heart desires.....

I feel differently, and actually stopped going out to eat with a friend that feels like you do, b/c it embarrasses me...and that is my perogative...she's cheap, and very disrespectful...

You don't want to tip, but 10% that is your choice.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
whatever your heart desires.....

I feel differently, and actually stopped going out to eat with a friend that feels like you do, b/c it embarrasses me...and that is my perogative...she's cheap, and very disrespectful...

You don't want to tip, but 10% that is your choice.
Its not my choice. There are no signs on the door, they don't tell you before you order, you order, and bam, there is an 18% addition.

I usually don't go back, but I didn't have a choice the first time, that's the point.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Its not my choice. There are no signs on the door, they don't tell you before you order, you order, and bam, there is an 18% addition.

I usually don't go back, but I didn't have a choice the first time, that's the point.
you honestly do not have to defend what you do....honestly...that is simply your choice...
and yes, it is your choice, signs at the door or not, it is common knowledge...what you choose to tip is up to you...

I tip my hairdresser, my groomer, the man who helped me put air in my tires, the man who pumps gas into my car...the mailman, etc....that is my choice, doesn't make me right or wrong...or better then you...or you better then me, it is however, simply how we feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies