Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you honestly do not have to defend what you do....honestly...that is simply your choice...
and yes, it is your choice, signs at the door or not, it is common knowledge...what you choose to tip is up to you...

I tip my hairdresser, my groomer, the man who helped me put air in my tires, the man who pumps gas into my car...the mailman, etc....that is my choice, doesn't make me right or wrong...or better then you...or you better then me, it is however, simply how we feel.
I'm not defending it, but I agree with pastor, I think its ridiculous that I can go and eat somewhere, then get slapped with an extra 18% no questions asked. No sign, you didn't tell me that, nothing. Its like going to the pump, and you pay 3.50 a gallon, you buy 20 dollars worth of gas, and suddenly there is an extra 3 bucks on top, non advertised. Now the bill is 23.

Tell your customers up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not defending it, but I agree with pastor, I think its ridiculous that I can go and eat somewhere, then get slapped with an extra 18% no questions asked. No sign, you didn't tell me that, nothing. Its like going to the pump, and you pay 3.50 a gallon, you buy 20 dollars worth of gas, and suddenly there is an extra 3 bucks on top, non advertised. Now the bill is 23.

Tell your customers up front.
Memphis, it is on most menus....generally places tap on 18% to big parties and reservations. Reason being is b/c the servers are tied up for most of that time, and cannot wait other tables, in order to give these servers a good tip. Then the waitress, shares her tip with the bus people, giving them a certain percentage....

and when you reserve for a luncheon or dinner, they generally tell you an 18% gratuity will be added to the tip. They do that for bus drivers who are busing special parties around....on bus trips, at the end of the trip they pass a hat for the driver....when someone delievers furniture to my home, I tip them....
these people work hard, and I mean work very hard for their money.

I can remember my feet burning so badly I wanted to cry when I got home....or remember the women who came in who were very bad tippers and ran your butt off, so much so, that I couldn't give my other tables the attention I needed to...."I want this, and I want that". The friend that I chose to stop going to dinner with, she is so self absorbed and spoiled, she didn't say, "may I please have this or that", no, she always says, in a very snoby way, "I want this, don't forget to bring me this, I want that" Sheeeeshhhhhh, and she hates to tip....well fine...that is how I guess she was raised, and that is ok, but I prefer to do things differently.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, tipping should never be required. I don't do it out of kindness, I do it because the level of service I received was that good.

Prices have gone up, for me also. That 5 dollar plate is now 15 dollars. So instead of my tip being .50 cents, its a dollar and a half.

Now you want more?

Get better at providing service, or find other employment. Walmart hires, and we don't tip their workers.
The typical attitude of a cheapskate.

If the service is truly bad fine, you tip based on how you feel.

But if its good and you don't "feel" like tipping... cook your own food. It's not that difficult.

Especially a person complaining about worldwide human rights violations (your postage history is viewable).

You seem to be violating a lot of others rights by tipping badly on good service.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
The typical attitude of a cheapskate.

If the service is truly bad fine, you tip based on how you feel.

But if its good and you don't "feel" like tipping... cook your own food. It's not that difficult.

Especially a person complaining about worldwide human rights violations (your postage history is viewable).

You seem to be violating a lot of others rights by tipping badly on good service.
I'd have been embarrassed to have eaten out with that minister. He certainly isn't practicing the Golden Rule that was one of Jesus' key teachings. People like that make me hope for reincarnation; then in his next life, he can be a waiter.

When I eat out, I rate the service with my tip.

20% = A+ -- Prompt and attentive, kept my drink filled without having to be asked.
15% = B -- Good service, fairly attentive, but I probably had to ask for refills on my sodas
10% = C- -- Not particularly good, but not totally awful either
A penny = F -- Attitude problems, lousy or practically nonexistent service

If the food is totally perfect, you add a nickel to the tip for the chef; at least that's what my mother, who used to cook in a restaurant, tells me.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,272 times
tipping should just be abolished.

the whole thing is a joke, a throwback to the feudal era!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,176 times
The fat ass pastor needs to step down. She aint no lady no sir.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I bet the owner of the resturant did not feel that way and enjoyed selling food to 20 people. I disagree with the automatic 18% TAX on tables of 6 or more.
I am sure the restaurant owner doesn't feel that way. I'm sure the restaurant owner loves getting the subsidy and being able to pay a substantially lower wage. It is the waitstaff that gets screwed. I also never mind the automatic gratuity since I always tip higher anyway.

In my opinion tipping is a reflection on a person's character. In my experience bad tippers tend to be short-sighted and greedy. The fact is life tends to work in such a way that generosity tends to get rewarded in kind.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 02-10-2013 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am sure the restaurant owner doesn't feel that way. I'm sure the restaurant owner loves getting the subsidy and being able to pay a substantially lower wage. It is the waitstaff that gets screwed. I also never mind the automatic gratuity since I always tip higher anyway.

In my opinion tipping is a reflection on a person's character. In my experience bad tippers tend to be short-sighted and greedy. The fact is life tends to work in such a way that generosity tends to get rewarded in kind.
The wait-staff doesn't get screwed. They just don't make out as well as they would have. Wait-staff go into the job knowing that the worst-case scenario is that they make minimum wage (currently $7.35/hr). That's the risk they take and is frankly a reasonable wage for a worst-case scenario.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
They have to add the gratuity (not tax, nice try) because of you and all of your cheap friends only throwing down 5 bucks on a 200 bill. How are y'all not embarrassed???
Sorry, gratuity implies it is based on gratitude. Once it becomes mandatory it ceases to be gratitude based and becomse a defacto tax.

Tips are based on service quality and can and should vary according to situation. I have been in a group of more than 10 that received abysmal service and we left leaving zero for the tip. I have also been in groups where we left additional money on the table above and beyond the automatically charged 18% because the server made the dining experience exceptional.

I don't know the circumstances of the preacher's meal experience, but the number of people at the table did not automatically make it worth 18% vs 10%. That had to be the server's effort. If the preacher had a higher standard than the server, then the server should learn and step up the next time. I know people who have bosses that feel they should work harder to win a raise. They don't get anywhere complaining the boss is cheap or has no compassion. They just have to work harder or get another job. Same applies to waitstaff. The fact that the industry often abuses this practise should not be passed onto the patron to rectify. If you think people have the obligation to right the wrongs of others, then take it upon yourself to start tipping more to offset the cheap folk who wont. If you wont blame the restaurants for paying too low a wage, then stop blaming the customer for tipping what they feel is adequate because you dont feel the aggregate is a substandard wage.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
tipping should just be abolished.

the whole thing is a joke, a throwback to the feudal era!
When I was young I was taught tipping was a way to complement good service provided by an employee. Owners did not get tipped because good will and increased business due to good service was rewarded by increased profits. The employees do not see this benefit, so the tip is their incentive/reward.

I think tipping is a fine idea when the ettiquite is clear and understood. It breaks down when it becomes an obligation and is separated from the service standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies