Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Part time workers at McD's are paying $350/month for company insurance ?
They better have cadillac plans there and would have nothing left in their weekly paychecks..that's $88/week.

Walmart has plans for $70/month (actually $17.40/paycheck) . Those people need to get jobs at Walmart where healthcare is AFFORDABLE !!!
If so it must not cover much of anything. I work in a company larger than Wal-Mart and insurance costs are far higher than $70 a month and even then I have to put money out of pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,175 times
Insurance is a lucrative business.

So stop buying it and invest your money elsewhere and use that for a rainy day.

Oh wait you can't.

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Now the floodgates open for all starting Jan 1. No pre-existing and a $6K cap on out of pocket expenses.
Do you really think this is going to "pay for itself" ?
I always love the "pay for itself" insinuation by our government. Does our federal government make money? Does our government "pay for itself?" Heck no.. the tax payer's do. Nothing "pays for itself", unless its a human being out their toiling for a living.

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If so it must not cover much of anything. I work in a company larger than Wal-Mart and insurance costs are far higher than $70 a month and even then I have to put money out of pocket.
I worked for a multi-national and only paid $90/month with excellent coverage.
Well of course there's out of pocket expenses.
That's was Walmart's lowest cost insurance for individuals. They offer menu type coverage and one can always get more.

What do you want 100% fully covered nuts and bolts everything under the sun with no out of pocket ?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Short of doing my own audit, it's not about what I think. I have to go by the information I see. I've looked at the budget from the Congressional Budget Office and Obamacare is supposed to trim 1.2 trillion off of the deficit over the next 20 years.

For the record, I think insurance is the problem, and I don't think I should be compelled to invest in a private company against my will. I think insurance should be done away with altogether. I think people should pay for their own basic health-care and have the option of purchasing low-cost government-run catastrophic insurance, not connected to your employer in any way. And any profit made by this government insurance should be refunded each year.

I also want a date with Scarlett Johanssen, but neither of these scenarios is likely so I'll take what I can get in the meantime.

Heathcare is not a federal responsibility. It should not even be part of any deficit. Healthcare is a personal responsibility that whose cost should be paid by individuals. The US Constitution does not enumerate any power for the government to pay for or provide healthcare.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM

571 posts, read 790,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Heathcare is not a federal responsibility. It should not even be part of any deficit. Healthcare is a personal responsibility that whose cost should be paid by individuals. The US Constitution does not enumerate any power for the government to pay for or provide healthcare.
I don't really feel like arguing this because I think in some weird way, we actually agree but the Constitution doesn't enumerate power for a lot of things.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Insurance is a lucrative business.

So stop buying it and invest your money elsewhere and use that for a rainy day.

Oh wait you can't.
sure you can. Cheaper to not have insurance and get it when you need it and then drop it when you don't. They can only get the fine via IRS tax refunds so set yourself up to not get refunds anymore.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:

The future is MORE government involvement, not less. I think a lot of disgruntled old coots had better get used to it. Especially as they enter the years where they happily take Medicare because private insurance at that age would leave them broke or dead in a matter of years.

If it takes a Constitutional Amendment in the future to get something like single-payer, so be it. Those afraid of queues can buy supplemental insurance and use private facilities.

BUT, our crappy healthcare regime already makes our country competitively disadvantaged compared to every other civilized nation on earth. It also traps employees in jobs for "benefits" for themselves and their families where their talents and energy would be better spent elsewhere - at a startup or fledgling company, or starting their own business.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
But we do. It's called medicaid.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times
My (employee) insurance premium is about $100 a month, HOWEVER, the employer pays about $1,000 a month (for 2 adults). Just got my W2 and it shows (box 12a) = $12,149.38. That's rivaling the amount of my monthly RENT!

BTW - when my employer pays $1000 a month for my medical, guess what is less available for wage increases too. And they just re-designed the future employees' retirement plan (slightly downward) to address these costs long-range into retirement - to help make it 'sustainable'.

My large employer does also have a catastrophic plan for free to the employee (company pays about $80 a month for it) - however, it has a $5000 annual deductible - and it covers major medical after that.

Mind you, this is a LARGE employer getting 'cut rates' as a result of having THOUSANDS of employees!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies