Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

I think since so many people will kill for drugs and also so many people on drugs are pretty messed up, if they want to control something to reduce violence, it's better to to look at what is motivating killers and what is messing up so many peoples' minds -- we are a heavily drugged society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 AM

389 posts, read 616,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think since so many people will kill for drugs and also so many people on drugs are pretty messed up, if they want to control something to reduce violence, it's better to to look at what is motivating killers and what is messing up so many peoples' minds -- we are a heavily drugged society.
We are talking opiates here. Our brain has a specific receptor for these drugs. Perhaps we should all be required to take long acting opiate antagonists because natural endorphins might make a healthy person get addicted to exercise. NO OTHER pain medication provides the same kind of relief a trauma victim naturally gets, i.e. a flood of endorphins. Doctors prescribe to aid in healing. A wisdom tooth surgery patient needs to eat and carry on while healing occurs (and perhaps sell their controversial procedure ). Try an adult tonsillectomy without pain meds. I used the internet to look up how to take the aspirin out of the pills so I wouldn't kill an otherwise healthy liver. Because of pain meds, I ate heartily and healed in one week.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
My question is, why does America lead the globe in chronic pain sufferers?
We're the most obese nation in the developed world, which leads to chronic pain, Type 2 diabetes, and all the other health problems which go with it.
The problem is addiction...narcotics aren't addictive when used for acute pain in limited time frames, but they become addictive for chronically ill people who may or may not need them. You get people who may have needed it at some point get addicted, or those who get high off everything else and know they can claim to have chest pain and automatically get Dilaudid or morphine in the ER. Either way it's a major problem, and I do agree there should be tighter controls with verifiable diagnoses as to why it's being prescribed.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 AM

389 posts, read 616,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You get people who may have needed it at some point get addicted
And what is so bad about being addicted to opiates? Lowered testosterone in men is one long term reversible side effect. AND DONT say overdose. That same idiot or irresponsible kid would land themselves into trouble one way or another. There are currently known methods of reversing tolerance for long term opiate users, so essentially, opiates for life is a realistic possibility. And control-this/ban-that folks want to make them drive to a doctor every refill? Cruel and unusual punishment!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
And what is so bad about being addicted to opiates? Lowered testosterone in men is one long term reversible side effect. AND DONT say overdose. That same idiot or irresponsible kid would land themselves into trouble one way or another. There are currently known methods of reversing tolerance for long term opiate users, so essentially, opiates for life is a realistic possibility. And control-this/ban-that folks want to make them drive to a doctor every refill? Cruel and unusual punishment!
Well for one, having a life which revolves around taking opiates, every waking moment thinking about opiates, and scheming to obtain opiates by any means possible, is pretty bad. I see it every day I show up to work.
I agree the in-person refill thing is excessive, but something has to be done to curb doctors from prescribing them so freely to patients who don't really need them...the dialysis patients, the COPDers, the CHFers, etc who become long-term addicts after a few hospital visits when severe acute & chronic pain was never an issue to begin with.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
The war on drugs needs to end now. Period.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
I hope to heaven that this doesn't go through. As someone who's intimately aware of hydrocodone's benefits this would make it significantly harder,more expensive and most likely impossible for some to lead as pain free a life as possible.
Is it addictive? Sure it can be just as Alcohol and Tobacco are.
I do know one thing, I'd not be able to stand up and walk every day without it and do NOT want to switch to something stronger even though that's been shoved at me many times over the years.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
and other pain killing opioids.
I don't take any of these, and don't like Vicodin, but I imagine many will disagree with this recommendation.
My question is, why does America lead the globe in chronic pain sufferers?

FDA panel votes to place tighter controls on narcotics like Vicodin

I think hydrocodone should be a schedule II. I have no idea why it was made a schedule III in the first place, while oxycodone, which is simply 50% stronger than hydrocodone, is a schedule II.

Oddly, Nucynta, which has an addiction rate similar to Tramadol (although having roughly the therapeutic benefit of oxycodone, it works primarily through seratonergic and noradrenergic actions), is a schedule II.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's ridiculous that doctors will so quickly prescribe this highly addictive drug and for pain that is not all that great. I know dentists will prescribe it for 18 year olds getting wisdom teeth removed -- or for a slice wound after stitches are put in.

Yes, there might be some soreness after wisdom teeth are removed but no one would need such a strong drug for something that minor -- no one.

Actually pain is your friend in most cases, it warns you that something is wrong and to go easy on it.
Well, I had two of my wisdom teeth removed, along with 3 molars. It was done by an oral surgeon, and two of the teeth were impacted, necessitating a more invasive and painful surgery. I went home with something narcotic and heavy-duty, but he only gave me something like ten pills, to cover the acute phase. This is normal for minor procedures; they expect that you'll be in a lot of pain for a few days, and then regular OTC meds can take over.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I take prescription Ibuprofen (800mg) twice a day. Over the counter Ibuprofen is 200mg. For 60 prescription pills it costs me 83 cents...no kidding - I don't even whip out my debit card, I put coins on the counter. Do you know how much 100 (200 mg) caplets of over the counter Advil (Ibuprofen) costs in the same store? $15.99 and how many I'd have to take for the same dose?

Let's hope the FDA keeps some of this in mind when they regulate pain medicine.

I thought the Obamacare death panels were going to prescribe a pain pill instead of surgery for grandma and grandpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies