Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Do you read? I said that some Latinos are white. I also said that not all Latinos are white. I have family members who look like West Africans, and they are as Latino as anyone else.

Again....do you read?
The "white or other" are incorrect categories and the U.S. Government is already addressing this because the categories are BS.

Latino is fine. However, "white" as a category for all American anglos of light skin is an INCORRECT CATEGORY and needs to be changed, and asap. How, I don't know, but they are working on changing it, since it's inaccurate. They need to narrow it down:

"Light complexion American citizen or resident"
"Medium complexion American citizen or resident"
"Darker complexion American citizen or resident"

Those sound great to me. The "White" "Black" "Latino" bs needs to go. All of it is incorrect.

Further, A LOT OF WHITE CITIZENS AND RESIDENTS HAVE BLACK DNA. Time to change this. Hell, I'd have everyone have their DNA checked, and whites with black DNA should have to check a special category: "Light complexion with dark-complexion DNA American citizen and resident." That would light a nice warm fire under every light skinned racist this side of the Atlantic, now wouldn't it?

I think it's time to be accurate about race and affiliation, rather than have people filling out bullsh_t categories every damned time.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
The "white or other" are incorrect categories and the U.S. Government is already addressing this because the categories are BS.

Latino is fine. However, "white" as a category for all American anglos of light skin is an INCORRECT CATEGORY and needs to be changed, and asap. How, I don't know, but they are working on changing it, since it's inaccurate. They need to narrow it down:

"Light complexion American citizen or resident"
"Medium complexion American citizen or resident"
"Darker complexion American citizen or resident"

Those sound great to me. The "White" "Black" "Latino" bs needs to go. All of it is incorrect.

Further, A LOT OF WHITE CITIZENS AND RESIDENTS HAVE BLACK DNA. Time to change this. Hell, I'd have everyone have their DNA checked, and whites with black DNA should have to check a special category: "Light complexion with dark-complexion DNA American citizen and resident." That would light a nice warm fire under every light skinned racist this side of the Atlantic, now wouldn't it?

I think it's time to be accurate about race and affiliation, rather than have people filling out bullsh_t categories every damned time.
Wow........just wow.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,206 times
It will be all screwed up like the rest of the world.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Wow........just wow.
What's confusing is attempting to fit everyone into 3 neat categories, when people's DNA, looks, affiliations, and "racial" categories are so complex.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What's confusing is attempting to fit everyone into 3 neat categories, when people's DNA, looks, affiliations, and "racial" categories are so complex.
Nobody is putting anyone into three categories. All I said was all Latinos are not white, and you took it to.....well, I have no idea where you took it.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Nobody is putting anyone into three categories. All I said was all Latinos are not white, and you took it to.....well, I have no idea where you took it.
And all I said is that white is an incorrect category because it actually means:

"Citizens or residents of the U.S. that appear to be anglos because they have a light complexion (whether or not they have dark African DNA), weren't born in a Latin country, and have no parents that were born in a Latin country."

What about dark-complected American citizens and residents who have light complexion DNA? Why are they automatically "black?"

My mom looks like a Norwegian, my sister and brother look like blond Norwegians, my aunts and uncles, most of my cousins, and all my nephews look like blond Norwegians. All are Latinos of Spanish roots.

The categories need to be made more specific, rather than broad, ridiculously large categories that are completely inaccurate and serve no purpose. It's one frikkin' confusing mess.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
No....Latinos are not considered white. Latinos do not have a racial category; it is a cultural and ethnic category that includes people of all races and/or combined races. Some - a few -Latinos are white. Others are black, Asian, Native, and other.

I always question your motives when you challenge Latino self identification.

There are more Latinos in the US who are "white" than are "black." About 3-4% of Latinos in the US identify as black Latino.

37% identify as mestizo (there's your Mexicans and Guatemalans right there). 6% identify as two or more races. 53% identify as white.

Because self-identification is what matters most - and what WILL matter, in the future politically and socially, I'm not sure where or how you believe "a few" Latinos are white while never using that designation to describe black Latinos... who truly are "a few" in Latin America as a percentage of the whole outside of, say, Brazil and Panama, etc.

In a world where George frickin' Zimmerman (who is actually a truly mixed race Latino) can be painted by the media as "white Latino," I think we're entering into unchartered territory.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
And all I said is that white is an incorrect category because it actually means:

"Citizens or residents of the U.S. that appear to be anglos because they have a light complexion (whether or not they have dark African DNA), weren't born in a Latin country, and have no parents that were born in a Latin country."

What about dark-complected American citizens and residents who have light complexion DNA? Why are they automatically "black?"
Because they are of African origin. I have family, including my children, who range from blond hair and blue eyes to darkest black African. They come from the Caribbean and North America, some are Latino and some are African American. Some of my people have Russian Jewish and German ancestors, others have Spanish, French and Chinese origins. All have African roots.

Quote:
My mom looks like a Norwegian, my sister and brother look like blond Norwegians, my aunts and uncles, most of my cousins, and all my nephews look like blond Norwegians. All are Latinos of Spanish roots.

The categories need to be made more specific, rather than broad, ridiculously large categories that are completely inaccurate and serve no purpose. It's one frikkin' confusing mess.
Race and ethnicity in America is a mess. But that's the system we have, because long ago whites invested inordinate amounts of effort into making sure that their society was stratified into "white" (full citizens and "nonwhite" (less than full citizens).

Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You certainly have a right to do that......but my motives have always been transparent. I do not like the white supremacist orientation of Latin American culture, and I challenge it.

Quote:
There are more Latinos in the US who are "white" than are "black." About 3-4% of Latinos in the US identify as black Latino.
While it is true that there may be more White than Black Latinos, the "white" population is a lot less numerous and the "black" population is a lot more numerous. We all know that a lot more than 3-4% of, say, the Cuban, Dominican and Puerto Rican populations, just to name three, are black.

Quote:

37% identify as mestizo (there's your Mexicans and Guatemalans right there). 6% identify as two or more races. 53% identify as white.
Where would all of these whites be coming from? We already know that the majority of Mexicans in America are not white, and we know that Mexican Americans are still the majority of Latinos in this country. So where would these whites be coming from? Argentina? Uruguay? I don't think so.

Quote:
Because self-identification is what matters most - and what WILL matter, in the future politically and socially, I'm not sure where or how you believe "a few" Latinos are white while never using that designation to describe black Latinos... who truly are "a few" in Latin America as a percentage of the whole outside of, say, Brazil and Panama, etc.
The Dominican Republic is 85% Afro-Latino, but if you agree that "self-identification" was important, that would nullify reality. Many if not most Dominicans tend to self-identify as "whiter" than they actually are. Other Latin societies are that way as well.

Quote:
In a world where George frickin' Zimmerman (who is actually a truly mixed race Latino) can be painted by the media as "white Latino," I think we're entering into unchartered territory.
I do not consider Zimmerman white; he is mestizo. It would make just as much sense for him to identify as black (he claims an Afro-Peruvian great grandfather) as it would for me to identify as a Russian Jew. But many who look like him or are of similar ethnicity do indeed self-identify as white.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Latino is only a geographical term. In otherwords, anyone living in Central and South America would be a Latino. As you said, many are white. For example the Argentinians. Most Latinos who are Mexican are Mestizos (a racial mix of mostly white and native indian). They get their white half from their Spanish ancestors. One can't self-identify by whatever they feel like because one cannot change their genetics. They are what they are whether they want to admit it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.