Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There are a lot of gross misconceptions here.

That's what happens when government interferes and subsidizes something....none of you has ever borne the true cost of health care.

You people seem to have a tremendous amount of difficulty distinguishing between...

1] the annual cost of an health plan; and
2] the amount the employer contributes; and
3] the amount the employee contributes

It is very possible, even extremely likely, that an family plan will cost $20,000 per year.

But even if that were true, that is not what the employee pays.

As I have explained ad nauseum, the employee's contribution to their own health plan coverage is limited to 9.5% of household income.

So, which part of "9.5% of household income" do you people not understand?

As I have pointed out ad nauseum, the IRS is granting Safe Harbor to employers by allowing them to use the employee's 2013 W-2 Wage as a guide to determine the employee's costs for health plan coverage.

If you obtain health plan coverage through your employer, then your cost for the health plan is limited to 9.5% of your household income.....

Section 36B(c)(2)(C)(i). Household income for this purpose is defined as the modified adjusted gross income of the employee and any members of the employee’s family (which would include any spouse and dependents) who are required to file an income tax return.

There are conflicts because here you see the IRS using "modified adjusted gross income" and then Treasury and other agencies are using "disposable household income" or just "household income."

The definition of disposable income in Economics is not the same as the federal definition, specifically the IRS definition. The IRS definition of "disposable income" is your Adjusted Gross Income on your Form 1040/A/EZ

Again, I stress, this limitation of 9.5% is only for those people who obtain health plan coverage through their employer....not people who obtain coverage on their own.

So your cost for health care through your employer will be 9.5% of your income, plus your spouse, plus dependents who also file tax returns --- for many that will include your child age 16-26 who works and files a tax return.

So let's your spouse earns $48,000/year and you earn $42,000/year, then your child works a part-time job earning $6,000/year. That's $106,000 total, and then let's say you have income from rental property, interest income or any other income and and that brings your Adjusted Gross Income to $140,000.

Your cost for insurance through your employer will be 9.5% of $140,000 ($13,300) or $1,108 per month or $511 bi-weekly.

If you are already paying more than $511 bi-weekly, then your cost will drop and the difference paid by your employer. If you are paying less than $511 bi-weekly, then your employer will shift the cost to you so that you do pay $511 bi-weekly.

Now, depending on which regulations are actually finalized, it could be that your modified household income ends up being your Adjusted Gross Income, or your Adjusted Gross Income minus deductions (or whatever silliness they come up with).

The Safe Harbor for 2014 is to allow employers to use the employee's W-2 from 2013 in lieu of "modified household income" until the idiots extraordinaire figure out a way to collect information on household income and report it to your employer.

If you didn't want your employer to know that you get $1,800/month in rental income, too bad.

So either learn how to distinguish between the annual cost of your health plan, the amount your employer pays, and the amount you pay, or continue to look foolish.

Cheaply...

Mircea
I have no problem with admitting I don't understand something. But hey, thanks for being so gregarious in your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Amazing that so many people feel so strongly about their right not to protect themselves from catastrophic health-care expenses.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I just went to the Kaiser ACA calculator. They only have a family of 4 not 5 so I put in a family of 4 making $120K per year and it came out to $14K with no government subsidy. I did one individual that came out to $5600 with no subsidy.
Add the two together and you get close to $20K with no subsidy.
That comes out to about $1700 per month.

Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Amazing that so many people feel so strongly about their right not to protect themselves from catastrophic health-care expenses.
At this point it's the premiums that many are looking at.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
That's right....the mandates that did that started in mid 98 with HIPAA going into effect. I'm an insurance broker up until then I could a husband and wife and two or more children for $300-400/month. Everyone in the industry knew it was going to happen when HIPAA was put into law and ObamaCare is more of the same but worse.

I truly believe that is the idea.....worse and worse until the system topples. Then Mr Hussein and the
Demor*** can carry out his/their true goals.....which will include Single Payer via Big Brother.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,473 times
Obamabots should have to pay more, since they helped shove this down the throat of everyone else's. Fair is fair.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
(duplicate post)

Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Still waiting for some liberal to explain where families paying the average cost are supposed to get the $20,000 to pay the costs the liberals have imposed on them.

And since dodgers and con artists such as HisterianDude keep pointing out that some are EXEMPT and trying to pretend that's a GOOD thing, I suppose I should also ask where other families are going to get the **MORE THAN $20,000** they are being forced to pay (for their own coverage plus the EXEMPT families' coverage).

Still no one dares to explain that.

Still waiting....

Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
On top of all that, the average number of hours worked per retail employee fell to an average of 30.1 hours per week, as opposed to 30.4 hours in December 2013, in spite of an uptick in the number of new retail hires (32,600) according to IBD?

Those reductions applied in several industries, including hospitality, restaurants, general retail and lots of others.

But then what else would you expect from a certified job-killing and income-reducing pile of stupidity such as ObamaCare, a 2,700 page bill with 13,500+ pages of regulations attached to it so far????

Thank you President Job Killer!!!!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
These are PROPOSED regulations and I don't think it says what the OP's link. This is the real thing:
http://www.irs.gov/PUP/newsroom/REG-148500-12%20FR.pdf
I may have scanned your link too fast but I failed to see anything about actual dollar figures. How many pages does one need to read about 5000(a)(A)(d) or something like that before he sees anything about dollars? A lot of legislative gobbledygook is all I found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies