Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3783 View Post
The people who say tipping should be done away with have never worked in a restaurant before.
Wrong!!
Both worked in and owned several.
Throw in also a customer and I've been on all sides of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Should the entire TIPPING system be overturned?
Of course it should.

Is their any other industry where the customer can decide not to pay for services rendered an a whim?

Totally senseless.

Pay the minimum wage, allow customers to tip for service that goes above and beyond.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Because the owner of a business can set the rate anywhere he/she pleases.
Prices should be set like any other business......enough to pay overhead plus profit.
She probably pays herself??? Since you say 'probably' that means you have no idea whether she does or not.
I would say she 'probably, or if not should be, setting prices so she makes a decent return.
If not, she shouldn't be running a business
Come to think of it...if others are hired on as sub or independent contractors ,as many of the shops do, means she is also taking a cut of theirs.
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. If you tip your stylist, it really shouldn't matter if she's the owner or not. As a stylist, she's an employee of that business just like any other stylist. Just because she's more vested in the business doesn't mean that she should be treated any differently as a stylist. There's no logic in that.

Yes, as the owner (which is a separate role), she takes a cut of the other's work. That's pretty standard in the industry as an owner.

If she had a stylist on contract and that stylist owned another unrelated business (say, avon sales business), would you stiff her on tips because of that? It makes no sense.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't understand this mindset. You don't have to tip the business owner for managing the business. But she probably pays herself the same or even less for the time she spends cutting hair as she pays other stylists in the salon. Why wouldn't she deserve a tip?
I don't know why she wouldn't "deserve a tip." That's why I'm asking about this. As I said, I've always read that the OWNER of the shop is not to be tipped. In the case I mentioned ALL 4 of the stylists were equal co-owners. There were not any non-owner stylists at this particular salon. I did tip whenever I had my hair done there, by any of them, but according to the "rules" the owner (in this case, all of them) is not to be tipped.

None of the "who gets tipped and who doesn't" makes any sense to me.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
OK, I was googling about tipping the owner of a salon. It actually used to be considered an insult to do so! But according to the Emily Post Institute of Etiquette, the tradition of NOT tipping the owners is a tradition that is dying out. In other words....now it's acceptable (probably expected) to tip the owner.

I also read that the custom of tipping originated in 16th-century England when household servants were given a monetary token of appreciation by visiting guests. Having additional people in the house created additional work for the household servants, so the guests were basically paying the servants a little extra for their extra work. Makes sense to me.

Now, how it evolved into tipping nearly every hourly worker for doing their basic job, from the furniture delivery to auto body shop, is still baffling.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Well yes, the service is considered in my case. If we had a bad server, we wouldn't tip our usual 20-25%. But any server can be having a bad day, and knowing that the tips are generally shared with other workers at the restaurant, we still tip at least 15%.

The car service department??? Really? There's another one I didn't know. Maybe I should tip everyone I encounter all day long to make sure I'm not missing anyone! LOL!
That's one part of the restaurant and bar service I really dislike, servers SHARING what's in the tip kitty.
But, I guess it had to come to that because of the lowly wages all of the people earn, I hope it evens out in the end though.

The car service department, yes. At my local dealership, when you have a oil change or other service done, they even wash your vehicle for you, and vacuum the interior. A car porter brings your vehicle to the ready line, and we tip.

Our local car wash here is the same. It is a common tip kitty, a wooden locked box, to place your tips into for the people who clean inside and out, the hand wiping and vacuuming.

Let it be known that porters working in dealerships are probably entry level personnel, someone who might be working their way through college or trade school, and these people are normally minimum wagers. We're glad to help.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
I don't mind tipping at all because first of all, customer service is one of the worst jobs on the planet & customers are generally a bunch of jerks. I've had a few crap servers where I had nothing to do w/their bad service, they're just not liking their jobs or whatever. Those people don't get tips or get very low ones from me. In fact, it just happened last summer. I was at a restaurant, our waitress was flirting w/a table of guys next to us, ignoring us or only half listening to our order. She then had shots w/those guys. I put a big fat zero on the tip line. Did I feel bad? No way, she did not deserve a tip at all. In fact, I should've talked to the manager. Anyway, the majority of the time I am a pretty generous tipper, I feel their pain.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
With the recent Applebee's brouhaha (Pastor didn't want to pay waitress 18% gratuity because she pays God only 10%. Waitress ends up being fired), I am interested to know your thoughts on the whole system of tipping in the United States.
I've never eaten in a country that didn't tip (35+ countries).

The waitress got fired? I'd suspect they were looking for any excuse to fire the waitress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would rather see a system where a restaurant charges the same as it does for food and places a required service charge on the bill for the service. Keep it transparent.
Then why should I dine out?

The whole point of dining out is the experience.

When the waitstaff attends to your every need without you having to say anything at all, makes the experience extremely pleasurable. Experienced waitstaff know people, know diners, and they attend to your needs without interrupting you every 2 minutes. That kind of experience commands respect and is valuable, and should be rewarded.

When the service is mediocre or less, it isn't worth tipping or it's worth tipping appropriately, like 5%.

Dining...

Mircea

Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
To me it's the food. I honestly couldn't care less if I had to get up and grab it. The service matters very little to me. I like to eat, I don't care to own a servant. I guess everyone is different but more expensive restaurants will obviously pay their waitstaff a little bit more to ensure better service. That's how it works in 90% of the world except the USA. The only difference is that the prices will be truly reflected in the food instead of this hidden tax on the customer.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I've never eaten in a country that didn't tip (35+ countries).

The waitress got fired? I'd suspect they were looking for any excuse to fire the waitress.

Then why should I dine out?

When the waitstaff attends to your every need without you having to say anything at all, makes the experience extremely pleasurable. Experienced waitstaff know people, know diners, and they attend to your needs without interrupting you every 2 minutes. That kind of experience commands respect and is valuable, and should be rewarded.

When the service is mediocre or less, it isn't worth tipping or it's worth tipping appropriately, like 5%.

Dining...

Mircea
Good help is so hard fo find nowadays, took me weeks to replace my butler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies