Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
No, you are free to interpret me anyway you like.
That's BS. You said it - explain yourself. If you can't or won't communicate clearly and effectively, then what the hell are you doing on a discussion forum??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Oh stop it, please. I hardly think the Chicago political thugs of the 1970's were worried about "ex-slaves" owning a gun!

Gun Control

Gun control laws started in the south after the civil war. NYC's Sullivan law (1911) was focused in immigrants.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Despite the arguments otherwise here in the thread, and not to burst anyones bubble, but most people don't carry guns, it's not a "woman" thing.

Why? The day to day carrying of a gun (or having one in your "apron pocket"..lol) doesn't make sense to most people and statistically speaking they will never use one in self defense anyway.

Froth away.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is some truth to his comment. Minorities disproportionatly live in areas where firearms possession has been most heavily restricted (DC and Chicago come to mind). No surprise...gun control laws came about over the fear of black ex-slaves and other minorities owning a means of defense.
No.

He said that minorities do not have equal access to firearms. That is false, and it doesn't matter where you live. If I lived in DC, I'd have exactly the same access to firearms as a black person living in DC. Likewise, black people in Las Vegas have the same access to firearms that I do.

Access to firearms is equal for everyone within any given jurisdiction. Nobody forces anyone to live anywhere. If you don't like the gun policies of your city/county/state, you have the freedom to live elsewhere. The gun laws were a factor in my decision to leave California, for instance. Not a huge factor, but it was one more reason to go. I now live in a state that's much more in line with my personal and political beliefs.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No.

He said that minorities do not have equal access to firearms. That is false, and it doesn't matter where you live. If I lived in DC, I'd have exactly the same access to firearms as a black person living in DC. Likewise, black people in Las Vegas have the same access to firearms that I do.

Access to firearms is equal for everyone within any given jurisdiction. Nobody forces anyone to live anywhere. If you don't like the gun policies of your city/county/state, you have the freedom to live elsewhere. The gun laws were a factor in my decision to leave California, for instance. Not a huge factor, but it was one more reason to go. I now live in a state that's much more in line with my personal and political beliefs.
OK, good point.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
cuz the colors don't match their shoes! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HA!

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM....BLAM

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Leisestrum, I see your living in Oregon, I'm wondering, when are you planning on moving, ie your quote: I'll flee this country ASAP if they ever bring in a "stand your ground" legislation in my city."

The Oregon "stand your ground law" applies to the whole state. That is unless Beaverton has succeeded from the state.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Why the hell does everything in this country have to be either liberal or conservative? No wonder we are suffering polarization and gridlock. Most divisive post of the month.
Because most people can't count past two, and don't see shades of grey. EVERYTHING is either left or right.

Personally, I lean left on taxes percentages (those who earn more should pay according to their ability) and the environment (no one should have the right to dump sh** in the air I breath and water I drink), but lean right on things like gun control. I'm more centrist on things like unions vs. management, abortion, etc.

Back to the OP concerning women and guns, my mom carries a .32 Magnum (she's a bookkeeper who often makes money runs to the bank) and my wife has a .38 Special with her right now.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Leisestrum, I see your living in Oregon, I'm wondering, when are you planning on moving, ie your quote: I'll flee this country ASAP if they ever bring in a "stand your ground" legislation in my city."

The Oregon "stand your ground law" applies to the whole state. That is unless Beaverton has succeeded from the state.
There will be no such thing. The "stand your groung law" is denfied by statutory law. Those that would "Stand their ground" better be sure of their gound; lest they forfeit their security to these ass holes!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I sincerely hope you never have to find out whether you really CAN or not. There is a story going around about a man who was able to complete a rape despite being mortally wounded by his armed victim. Talk about winning the battle but losing the war! Even in 2012 there are areas where rapes never occur. Women that are that worried about it might be advised to move to one of those places. As a pre-emptive strategy it rates higher than putting a kill shot into any strange male who asks you what time it is. It blow my mind... even after all that is known about guns and the mountain of evidence that is growing to show their limitations in defensive scenario's, it does little to curb the rising sales. What can I really say. Is there any collected data on the serum lead levels of frequent visitors of shooting ranges?

H
You know, we all don't fall into your obvious "mold" of being weak-minded little woman who are afraid of something, and wondering if we actually CAN do what we say we can. I can put on coveralls, crawl under my house and fix the plumbing. I can and have painted a house by myself. I can and WILL fire if I feel my life or that of a family member is in danger. And I guarantee that wounding isn't all that will happen. I would never fire my gun with the only intention of wounding. If I was that certain that it was going to be me or him/her.. It'll be them. All of the above things I hoped I never had to do by myself but there are a lot of us out here who aren't sitting around being "afraid" of things that might happen. And telling women to move to a low-rape place is about as chauvinistic as it gets. I hope you never are a victim of crime, because what would happen when you call 911 and a female police officer shows up after you've already been hurt? Blame it on her hormones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies