Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why the name calling insults? can't you have a discussion without being juvinile.

I'll respond to you just once.

The title asked, "Why don't women want guns", and some expressed that in fact the women they know D want guns and have them.

If THAT is not directly relevant to the thread, maybe it is YOU who isn't relevant.
You're intentionally misreading the thread.

The title is "Why don't most women want guns?"

"Most" means a majority. Consequently, providing evidence that some women want and own guns does not contradict or disprove the premise of the thread. It would be exactly equivalent to responding to the question "Why don't most men play major league baseball?" by saying, "You're wrong. Look at Derek Jeter--he plays major league baseball." Still doesn't disprove the claim that most men don't play major league baseball.

The fact is that most women don't own guns, most men don't own guns, and most people don't own guns. The fact that many of them own more than one gun, or that those who do own guns are very enthusiastic about owning guns, or that new people are still buying guns has no bearing on the factual assertion that most women don't own guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My CCW class consisted of about 20 percent women. In the past few weeks, I have had many conversations with other women about guns.

I think the OP is a little uninformed.

20yrsinBranson
Can you tell that 20% is not "most"?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,152,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Ok, once again.

NRA-ILA | Mother of two protects children from home invader, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta, Ga. 01/04/13

NRA-ILA | 12-year-old girl defends herself from home invader, The Oklahoman, Oklahoma City, Okla. 10/19/12

NRA-ILA | 22-year-old woman defends herself against armed home invaders, NBC DFW, Dallas, Texas 10/18/12

NRA-ILA | 70-year-old woman scares off home invader, The Register-Herald, Beckley, W.V. 10/12/12

NRA-ILA | Young woman scares off home invader, The Connecticut Post, Bridgeport, Conn. 10/3/12

NRA-ILA | Grandmother wounds home invader, WTSP, Tampa Bay, Fla. 07/10/12, The Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Sarasota, Fla. 07/10/12

NRA-ILA | Mother protects sons from home invader, WINK, Fort Myers, Fla. 06/05/12

NRA-ILA | The Telegraph, Macon, Ga. 04/23/12, WMAZ, Macon, Ga. 04/24/12

NRA-ILA | WTVT, Tampa Bay, Fla. 03/26/12, WTSP, Tampa Bay, Fla. 03/27/12

NRA-ILA | The Daily Herald, Roanoke Rapids, N.C. 03/13/12

NRA-ILA | KFOR, Oklahoma City, Okla. 03/01/12

NRA-ILA | KPHO, Phoenix, Ariz. 02/06/12

NRA-ILA | The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Fort Worth, Texas 01/27/12

NRA-ILA | The Nashua Telegraph, Nashua, N.H. Dece
The statement is that "most women" do not like guns. In Hogfamily's mind, the proper counterpoint is not to seek data that reflects the attitudes of the 100+ million females in America. No, instead, let's see if we can put together 20 individuals cases in which women have used firearms for self-defense. That would be a brilliant way of disproving the original assertion. Well done.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You're intentionally misreading the thread.

The title is "Why don't most women want guns?"

"Most" means a majority. Consequently, providing evidence that some women want and own guns does not contradict or disprove the premise of the thread. It would be exactly equivalent to responding to the question "Why don't most men play major league baseball?" by saying, "You're wrong. Look at Derek Jeter--he plays major league baseball." Still doesn't disprove the claim that most men don't play major league baseball.

The fact is that most women don't own guns, most men don't own guns, and most people don't own guns. The fact that many of them own more than one gun, or that those who do own guns are very enthusiastic about owning guns, or that new people are still buying guns has no bearing on the factual assertion that most women don't own guns.
Am I the only person who has experienced all his/her life? It gets so tiresome. Why is this so difficult for so many people to comprehend? Is it so difficult to comprehend that the people that surround us may not be representative of most people? Jesus.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,064,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
The statement is that "most women" do not like guns. In Hogfamily's mind, the proper counterpoint is not to seek data that reflects the attitudes of the 100+ million females in America. No, instead, let's see if we can put together 20 individuals cases in which women have used firearms for self-defense. That would be a brilliant way of disproving the original assertion. Well done.
What, hate when a Pro gun person does the exact same thing right back in the anti gun peoples face?

I mean, just look at all these single shooting threads that continue to come up....

All Hog did was show that women use guns....that's it and it makes the anti gun people pissy....just look at your post.....

Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What, hate when a Pro gun person does the exact same thing right back in the anti gun peoples face?

I mean, just look at all these single shooting threads that continue to come up....

All Hog did was show that women use guns....that's it and it makes the anti gun people pissy....just look at your post.....
Yes, because there are people out there denying that some women use guns. Can you point towards the person who was making that argument? Then, can you explain how finding individual instances of women using guns contradicts the OP's point that most women don't like guns?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,514,481 times
Quote:
cometclear, have you asked most women recently? Not to mention your data might be old or a poll taken by a liberal with a slant towards banning guns.

All the women I know would love to own a gun now that has become more socially acceptable - and I'm a city gal. Why, I think there is an Annie Oakley in a lot of women just itching to be liberated. Sure, you'll have the pacifist women who will not ever want to touch a gun but there are men who share those feelings too. I think hogfamily would just prefer if you'd quite generalizing in regard to the desires of women - 'nough said.

As to the poster who teased hogfamily for her winged rifle handling, honey, my father still teases me about my first attempt at holding a rifle. I don't think he'll ever let me forget my winging it.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Generally speaking:

1. They aren't really into protecting themselves. Socially they rely on males to protect them yet those males often harm them more than strangers.
2. They have trouble being aggressive when aggression is required in self-defense.
3. They have a fantasy that without guns, they wouldn't be subject to harm and abuse.
bull crap

Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,163,504 times
Quote:
The vast majority of women do not need guns. The vast majority of men do not need guns.

Women are safer because the types of crimes to which you refer have never been less frequent. Please consult national and state crime statistics. Beyond that, the chances that you would be able to draw your handgun and stop an attacker are minimal. Statistically, it's more likely that the attacker would gain control of you and either use your handgun against you or simply have a new toy after he kills you.

I have never said that we should control what you own or operate on your private property beyond the types of weapons that are already banned. I have argued that once you leave your own property, it should be more limited.

I do not need to be a particular gender to make these pronouncements. Can you explain how being a particular gender makes one better able to judge the dangers of owning and not owning firearms and the risk of crime victimization?
As the mother of a daughter who was attacked in Brooklyn along with her fiance', I wish either she or her fiance' had a gun on them to permanently remove the slimeballs that jumped her, ripped out her hair, stole her cell phone and beat her poor fiance' into having a seizure. Screw statistics! Shoot one of them and the rest will scatter like cockroaches!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
cometclear, have you asked most women recently? Not to mention your data might be old or a poll taken by a liberal with a slant towards banning guns.

All the women I know would love to own a gun now that has become more socially acceptable - and I'm a city gal. Why, I think there is an Annie Oakley in a lot of women just itching to be liberated. Sure, you'll have the pacifist women who will not ever want to touch a gun but there are men who share those feelings too. I think hogfamily would just prefer if you'd quite generalizing in regard to the desires of women - 'nough said.
The original post in this thread is about a generalization. Do you understand what "generalization" means? It refers to an overall view of a group of people. In this case, women and guns. There are over 100 million women in this country. I don't need to speak to women about this. I live in an area that is not reflective of general attitudes towards guns. Instead, if you would like to approach this intelligently, find data that gives us a general understanding of where women stand.

Yes, I am absolutely certain that within your circle of friends and acquaintances, guns are quite popular with women. Trying to get you to understand that this does not provide us with an accurate representation of women in general, I'm afraid, will be too great a mountain to scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies