Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Thomas Jefferson was not a framer of the Constitution, which was a repudiation of his ideas on democracy and natural rights. Get over it.
I guess you don't like what Madison said either!

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson was not a framer of the Constitution, which was a repudiation of his ideas on democracy and natural rights. Get over it.
Who said he was?

You stated your opinion. I countered it with the opinion of someone who's much more highly respected than you are, and then I told you who I agree with more. You then told me to "get over it."

Seems to me that you're the person here that has something to "get over."

Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
You need to get over yourself. You are a WIMP - a weak, incompetent, malingering, *****!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Can you explain what plausible threats you face on a day-to-day basis and how you think you will be able to make a gun protect you from those threats?
I don't believe that I face threats everyday. I don't carry my gun every day. 95% of the time I'm gunless. But, as a middle-age woman, who has to get in my car, drive 3000 miles to get home by myself. I carry. I don't wish to be stranded along the side of the road, and have trouble. And before you ask, yes.. I had a friend who had this happen. Her and her husband were pulling their travel trailer having just come off a construction job. Break-down. Long story short.. They were attacked, her husband was shot, and they were literally robbed blind right on the side of the road. So don't tell me it can't happen. It did. I spend a tremendous amount of time living by myself. Once again, not in a particularly dangerous area, but my home has been broken into. So once again.. it's not a matter of wanting a gun... but it's a matter of preparation for the what if's in life.

I would think most gun owners are like me. Normal everyday people who go about their normal everyday lives. We don't "think" about guns 24/7. We're not the fringe you all think we are. We don't get out our guns, salivate while caressing them, and name them. As a matter of fact.. most of us (other than when we go out shooting) don't think about them much at all unless we have to fight to keep them from people who are not happy until we convert to their way of thinking. And you know what.. that won't happen. That is my FREEDOM!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
You have no data to back up your delineation of cops from the organizations they choose to represent themselves.
First of all, they don't make that choice. Geez, at least think about thing a little, comet!

Second, yes, I do have data. You could have easily found it - if you wanted to.

"The following survey questions were posed by mail to Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs in the United States. It represents a broad cross section of professional command officers involving every state and every size department."

16. Should any law-abiding citizen be able to purchase a firearm for sport or self defense, provided they are not former felons, drug addicts, adjudicated mentaly defective, etc? 98% YES

18. Would general recognition throughout the nation of CCW permits issued by a state, in the way drivers’ licenses are recognized throughout the country, facilitate the violent crime-fighting potential of the professional law enforcement community? 79% YES

19. Do you think qualified, law-abiding armed citizens can be of assistance to the professional law enforcement community in promoting justice and reducing violent criminal activity? 74% YES

So you see, comet, that the closer you get to the actual cops on the street, the more support you have for civilian gun ownership. Cops - the ones that are out there every day, doing the job on the street - know that they can't protect you. Their job is to take notes and try to track down the perpetrator of a crime AFTER it's taken place.

Have you ever even TALKED TO A POLICE OFFICER about it? I'd bet a LOT of money that you haven't. I have. Several times. You're wrong. Sorry, but you just are.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, the Eric Holder-created para-military force that has been financed through Planned Parenthood slush fund, will easily track down the tipi-dweller in New Hampshire. And with 12 New Black Panther zombies at our disposal, we will have you in custody within the month. No doubt about it. We awake every morning to tapes of Wagner and exhortations from Bobby Seale and Saul Alinsky and the words of Che Guevara plastered all over the walls of our secret headquarters as we incrementally steal your freedoms, guns and white women from you.

I think what you fail to realize is that this joint Justice Department/UN venture to seize all these things has long been under way in New Hampshire. UN operatives and New Black Panther zombies were placed, incognito, as far back as three years ago. Actually, your tipi was the source of much investigation for a time, though it has an inherently hippyish quality to it that threw some off at first. They chose not to close in at that time, but my information is that Holder has been receiving personal briefings on your movements and posts on this forum. I would immediately try some new disguises. Start with the tried-and-true: An old Groucho glasses with moustache. If that is unsuccessful, pretend to be Amish. It would seem like you have some practice living without modern amenities. Finally, if nothing else works, grow you hair long, strike up a new-found interest in the Grateful Dead, move to the city and start working at Whole Foods. Buy a pre-2000 Volvo and place a "Thinking Globally, Acting Locally" bumper sticker on it. That just might shake them for good.

Thank you for that concession, and for you that bit of writing was fairly creative. I would like to extend a invite out to Holder but i won't since he hasn't hair enough to qualify. Basically his scalp is worthless.

I fear you have long hair country boys and mountain men mixed up with citified hippys. I used to know some, but they are either all dead now or have totally fooled themselves into thinking they are Democratic Party leaders. And out for that quick green back dollar..... Having become what they in fact dreaded most.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Having a gun in the home can prove to be dangerous for a woman.

Statistics show that of females killed with a firearm, about two-thirds were killed by their intimate partners, more than three times the number murdered by male strangers using a weapon of any type.

from: The Violence Pol'y Ctr., When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 2002 Homicide Data: Females Murdered by Males in Single Victim/Single Offender Incidents, at 7 (2004), available at http://www.vpc.org/studies/wmmw2004.pdf
I know democratic women who are dangerous to themselves with any tools in hand.. And what's worse men of the same ilk. Useless slobs...

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I could post a whole host of quotes from Jefferson that will offend modern right-wingers. Will you still defer to him in those situations?
Who cares? I'm not a "right winger," and this topic is specifically about guns. If you want to quote him in some other thread, go for it.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You need to get over yourself. You are a WIMP - a weak, incompetent, malingering, *****!
Another profound proclamation from Wendell.

When all else fails, insult your opponent. Good job, W.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The vast majority of women do not need guns. The vast majority of men do not need guns.

Women are safer because the types of crimes to which you refer have never been less frequent. Please consult national and state crime statistics. Beyond that, the chances that you would be able to draw your handgun and stop an attacker are minimal. Statistically, it's more likely that the attacker would gain control of you and either use your handgun against you or simply have a new toy after he kills you.

I have never said that we should control what you own or operate on your private property beyond the types of weapons that are already banned. I have argued that once you leave your own property, it should be more limited.

I do not need to be a particular gender to make these pronouncements. Can you explain how being a particular gender makes one better able to judge the dangers of owning and not owning firearms and the risk of crime victimization?

It's sad you are so dependent on a failed system and a failed PC experiment. What if anything can you do for yourself? I'ld put money on you are a obese blob that can't wipe up your own ass. One of those 'You Just Can't Do It On Your Own' Idiots.

Well lunch time is over.... time to go sight in another rifle.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies