Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
There isn't a police department that will say 'To Serve and Protect' means they are anyone's personal body guards either.

They have no obligation what so ever to come save you before any crime has been committed. With out any crime taking place or in a past moment in time they have no obligation what so ever to do more than munch on donuts..

During the attack on my home i was told by the police no one was coming period.... Where I had called was more than 40 miles away... Out here in the woods after 8:00 the cop shop is closed up tight.....

These towns are lucky if they have 3 cops... Some have none......
I hit a deer last winter, when I called the local police I got an answering machine. The office closes at 4:30 PM. Had to call 911 (tell them it wasn't an emergency) but what the heck? They in turn called the Sheriff's department, who called me on my cell phone and told me to go on home, they'd come out to my house later to file the report and retrieve the deer. They showed up an hour and 1/2 later. (Granted they may have been on another call..but honestly.. it didn't give me a lot of confidence in how an emergency situation would be handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post

What is indeed unjustified and downright irrational for the vast majority of you is the estimation that you live in high levels of danger of being victimized by violent criminals. If you folks devoted a bit more of the time and money you waste on your guns for preventing the things in your lives that actually pose threats, both you and your families would benefit immensely.
No, just being aware there exists some possibility of danger. Anti gun types like to over dramatize that as paranoia as well as thinking we are all going to shoot ourselves.

Then they use exaggeration as to how we do nothing but think about bad things happening because we like guns. Now who is being negative? You know for some, shooting is a fun hobby. Carrying is not a big deal if you are comfortable with guns, and there is not all this drama surrounding it as the anti gun people like to spew.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell phillips View Post
Sweet!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I hit a deer last winter, when I called the local police I got an answering machine. The office closes at 4:30 PM. Had to call 911 (tell them it wasn't an emergency) but what the heck? They in turn called the Sheriff's department, who called me on my cell phone and told me to go on home, they'd come out to my house later to file the report and retrieve the deer. They showed up an hour and 1/2 later. (Granted they may have been on another call..but honestly.. it didn't give me a lot of confidence in how an emergency situation would be handled.
Used to live dead center in a ancient volcano in NH. it's called the Ossipee's If volcanoes float yer stick run 03886 zip code and back out some moving to the due south a little til you see a circle shape mountains...

It is a real ringdike.

One evening a car went by fast to the gated road 1/2 mile by ...... The car had no place to go but back the way it came, and went by faster. I was out doing yard chores (fire wood) and heard the crash.

I went in and called the cops saying i heard the crash and was calling because at the rate of speed I suspected injuries. I mentioned I would go see and try to call back one way or another. I had no cell phone but they existed.

I went and sure enough the car had gone over a bride with no railings and was in the brook below. 2 guys were standing on the shore all wet but looked kinda stupified...

It's safe to say chit faced. I went back and called the cop shop again, and they said a cruiser was on the way and should arrive in around 30 minutes. The reality was a little longer than that in the end and the guy who admitted to being the driver got a ticket for failing to use his turn signals LOL

I would have never thought of that and besides it not being a good idea to turn right on that bridge it was 30 feet down, and I have never once seen any up or down turn signals in my life yet!

Those 2 guys were lucky as it's hours to a hospital from there.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,316 times
Cuz they want sausage?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No, just being aware there exists some possibility of danger. Anti gun types like to over dramatize that as paranoia as well as thinking we are all going to shoot ourselves.

Then they use exaggeration as to how we do nothing but think about bad things happening because we like guns. Now who is being negative? You know for some, shooting is a fun hobby. Carrying is not a big deal if you are comfortable with guns, and there is not all this drama surrounding it as the anti gun people like to spew.
I carry 24/7. My wife does when she goes out alone..... NH is a pretty safe place to be, more so in rural areas and smaller towns, but we must food shop like everyone else, and in N Conway we tend to get a lot of Mass riff raff.

That can be anyone from common trailer trash low life robbing a store which happened a few years ago where the store manager and 1 customer were murdered to a Boston Chief of Police drunk out of his mind dragging a local officer trapped in the vehicle window for a DUI.

We just never know anymore... A acquaintance hut master i knew was robbed and shot at Carter Notch AMC Hut, and you just don't get more remote than that..... it is several miles hike in, to just get there, and at the time fee's were around 3 dollars a night to stay there. The bank roll probably never exceeded 100 dollars...

After having the system fail me where it ended up with me shooting the bad guy and again the system failed my father in law and his 2nd wife, I just have no more room for any system fail for a 3rd time..

So I carry all the time.... On the other hand not many days go by where i don't shoot a gun anyway.

I buy and trade guns all the time, and set up or clean guns for other people. I run thru a brick on .22's a month easy, that's 500 rounds. I shot today just 5 .22's after installing a scope for a guy...

I shot 5 rnds and made 4 holes in the bull's eye I know i didn't miss.... I just got lucky that the scope went on straight by chance...

Oh well that's a lie! I took 2 shots with this gun before the scope was on.... I have no idea where the iron sights are lined up... But I don't like red squirrels here as they do so much damage to the buildings.. I feed them to the ravens so nothing is wasted. This one got away today....

Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
.......If 3/4ers of your postings don't get deleted here by the mods your doing well......
Already happened on a couple other threads “discussing†firearms. Suspect that an anti-gun poster complained about my posts because he was “losing the argument†and could not respond with facts only emotion.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Already happened on a couple other threads “discussing†firearms. Suspect that an anti-gun poster complained about my posts because he was “losing the argument†and could not respond with facts only emotion.
That can be the way of it.... Some of the grabbers are just full of themselves, and will bait us into OT chat..

Anything to info deleted. You only see what has been deleted if you wrote it, so no way will anyone else know. It's as if you never wrote it.. Jus' saying since your kinda new.

Just about the time i feel discouraged and wonder why i do this, someone will have a good word to say and so I find the strength to go on..

This thread like others are all based on knee jerk recations as if the grabbers know something no one else does. Like that most women don't want guns and the truth is no one knows what most women want...

So far as i know all women want what ever it is they want and when they want it...... Who knows what that will be?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 PM

198 posts, read 167,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Having a gun for self-protection - like having sex for pleasure - is highly overrated. Unless you are a qualified expert, or police-trained in handling small arms, it is a mistake to think you will be safe in you home with a loaded pistol. (You are more likely to shoot yourself than ward-off anyone intent on doing you harm.) If you must have a gun for protection, then get a 12 gauge, double-barrel shotgun, load it with medium bird-shot and keep it ready to hand. For most people, you are probably better protected with a cell phone with one-touch dialing for emergency calls.
Regardless of this advice coming from VP Biden, I suggest that it is bad advice. Last week there was an incident of home invasion where a shotgun would have been rendered useless. I will paraphrase as follows;

Late one evening the homeowner and his wife were getting ready for bed when they heard someone beating and kicking on their back door. The Wife went to see who it was when a man kicked the door open, rushed in and grabbed the woman in a choke hold to shield himself from the male homeowner who ran upstairs to grab his hunting rifle. The Homeowner demanded the intruder release his wife and leave. When the intruder failed to comply the homeowner took a well aimed shot hitting the intruder in the leg allowing his wife opportunity to escape the intruders grasp. The homeowner again demanded the intruder leave and when the intruder lunged at the homeowners wife yet again in an attempt to grab her the homeowner again took a well aimed shot hitting the intruder square in the chest killing him instantly.

This was a justifiable shooting on the part of the homeowner in protecting his wife from who knows what.

Now if this homeowner had been armed with a shotgun there would have been no way he could have protected his wife from harm as a shotgun with #9 bird shot has over 200 pellets that would spread out over a wide area which would not only wound the intruder but would have wounded the homeowners wife as well. So in cases like the one above it is more practical to possess a rifle or pistol that shoots only 1 projectile at a time and learn how to shoot it so you can be sure to hit what you are aiming at. Shotguns are for people that can't shoot or are too afraid or lazy to take time to practice shooting.

Also if shotguns were so much better for defense then why don't the police and private body guards carry them as duty weapons?

I will agree that in certain situations a shotgun might be a better choice, such as if you live alone or can ensure all family members are behind you when you need to arm yourself with such a weapon. In a case like this they are best used when you are holed up in a bedroom and there is a long hallway between you and the intruder. When the intruder enters the hallway you can basically stick the gun out in the hallway (w/o exposing yourself) and skate the shot down the wall, filling the hallway with shot to take out the intruder. In most home defense situations this scenario rarely applies. Every person must assess their security situation and run various scenarios throughout their homes and determine the best tools to use for home defense.

I personally prefer a handgun with lower velocity frangible ammunition that isn't likely to penetrate beyond my homes walls. If any piece of a bullet does travel beyond my walls they are not likely to harm any innocent bystanders or neighbors. But if I must shoot an intruder I can still inflict maximum damage.

And while you may take Biden's advice to use a double barrel shotgun, keep in mind that you only have 2 shots. If you panic and pull both triggers at the same time and miss, you are left with an empty shotgun that you are trying to reload in a panicked and fumbled rush to insert 2 fresh shells into the chamber so can take another shot. That is if the intruder doesn't rush you and beat you to death with the barrel of your own gun before you have a chance to reload and point it at them. I'll take my 14 shot pistol over a 2 shot shotgun any day of the week.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
Regardless of this advice coming from VP Biden, I suggest that it is bad advice. Last week there was an incident of home invasion where a shotgun would have been rendered useless. I will paraphrase as follows;

Late one evening the homeowner and his wife were getting ready for bed when they heard someone beating and kicking on their back door. The Wife went to see who it was when a man kicked the door open, rushed in and grabbed the woman in a choke hold to shield himself from the male homeowner who ran upstairs to grab his hunting rifle. The Homeowner demanded the intruder release his wife and leave. When the intruder failed to comply the homeowner took a well aimed shot hitting the intruder in the leg allowing his wife opportunity to escape the intruders grasp. The homeowner again demanded the intruder leave and when the intruder lunged at the homeowners wife yet again in an attempt to grab her the homeowner again took a well aimed shot hitting the intruder square in the chest killing him instantly.

This was a justifiable shooting on the part of the homeowner in protecting his wife from who knows what.

Now if this homeowner had been armed with a shotgun there would have been no way he could have protected his wife from harm as a shotgun with #9 bird shot has over 200 pellets that would spread out over a wide area which would not only wound the intruder but would have wounded the homeowners wife as well. So in cases like the one above it is more practical to possess a rifle or pistol that shoots only 1 projectile at a time and learn how to shoot it so you can be sure to hit what you are aiming at. Shotguns are for people that can't shoot or are too afraid or lazy to take time to practice shooting.

Also if shotguns were so much better for defense then why don't the police and private body guards carry them as duty weapons?

I will agree that in certain situations a shotgun might be a better choice, such as if you live alone or can ensure all family members are behind you when you need to arm yourself with such a weapon. In a case like this they are best used when you are holed up in a bedroom and there is a long hallway between you and the intruder. When the intruder enters the hallway you can basically stick the gun out in the hallway (w/o exposing yourself) and skate the shot down the wall, filling the hallway with shot to take out the intruder. In most home defense situations this scenario rarely applies. Every person must assess their security situation and run various scenarios throughout their homes and determine the best tools to use for home defense.

I personally prefer a handgun with lower velocity frangible ammunition that isn't likely to penetrate beyond my homes walls. If any piece of a bullet does travel beyond my walls they are not likely to harm any innocent bystanders or neighbors. But if I must shoot an intruder I can still inflict maximum damage.

And while you may take Biden's advice to use a double barrel shotgun, keep in mind that you only have 2 shots. If you panic and pull both triggers at the same time and miss, you are left with an empty shotgun that you are trying to reload in a panicked and fumbled rush to insert 2 fresh shells into the chamber so can take another shot. That is if the intruder doesn't rush you and beat you to death with the barrel of your own gun before you have a chance to reload and point it at them. I'll take my 14 shot pistol over a 2 shot shotgun any day of the week.
We had a friend of ours who didn't like firearms and objected to the fact that I had a loaded handgun in my house when she was supposed to stay with us for a weekend. I asked her "What do you consider an unloaded handgun?" She answered "A safe one." My response was "Interesting, I call it a club." The handgun stayed loaded and she got a hotel room for the weekend. Everyone was happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies