Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They are the exception who worked hard, took risks, and were lucky.

For every one of them, there are literally millions of others who worked hard, but were afraid to take a risk, and hundreds of thousands of others who worked hard, took risks, and weren't lucky.

EXCEPTIONS means they aren't the norm.

Don't forget those who work hard, take risks, and fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Don't forget those who work hard, take risks, and fail.
I think "weren't lucky" implies that they failed.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then don't make the responsible achievers pay for it.
I'm not making anyone do anything, but society will pay in one form or another.

We can pay to help her improve her skill set so that she no longer needs public aid.
We can pay for public aid until the child is grown.
We can pay to incarcerate her kid if it becomes a criminal.
We can pay for public aid if the cycle repeats itself.

Abortion would have been the best option, but that option is off the table.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post

I'm looking for a third career now because the first two became obsolete (due to technology and legislation). One was a skilled trade (craftsman) and the second was professional. I made over $100,000/annually in both but, that's the past and now I have to find something else by no fault of my own and it's going to be difficult at my age.
Absolutely no snark here...would you mind sharing the skilled trade and profession that became obsolete due to technology and legislation.

BTW, I admire your motivation and perserverance.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think you are oversimplifing the situation. When a master's degree will get you a job paying $12-15 and you have to compete with H1B visa people that went to school for less you might be singing a different tune.

Now there' something this country needs. School for Less.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
WHO refuses to increase/upgrade their skill-set?

Reiterate and reiterate.

The FACT remains, the choices available to the impoverished are not the same choices available to those of means.
Read the statistics. WHAT means?
Quote:
* Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth.
* More than half never received as much as $1 in inheritance.
* Fewer than 25 percent ever received "an act of kindness" of $10,000 or more from their parents, grandparents, or other relatives.
* Ninety-one percent never received, as a gift, as much as $1 of the ownership of a family business.
* Nearly half never received any college tuition from their parents or other relatives.
The Millionaire Next Door

You DO realize that you and the other liberals in this thread are in effect arguing that self-determination is impossible. How tyrannical, totalitarian, and fascist is that?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The average hourly non-farm wage in the United States is $23.78. That equals to $49,462 per individual OR $98,924 per two worker household ANNUALLY!

There is absolutely NO REASON why the average worker in the United States cannot live off of these wages.

In fact, with these wages, and when personal responsibility is factored into the equation, there's absolutely no reason for single-parent families, children born out of wedlock, Medicaid, WIC, Welfare, or Food Stamps.

The AVERAGE worker makes $49,462 per year and yet we have liberals belly-aching over minimum wage and people barely able to make ends meet???? Who's fault is that?!

Get off your lazy asses and DO SOMETHING with your unproductive lives! There's money to be made out there!

Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National) Home Page
clearly you don't understand what "average" means. If you take 100 people and 10 of them are making 300,000 a year and thus earning about $145 as an hourly wage, and 90 of them are making 18,000 and thus earning about $9 an hour, that means that the average wage of those 100 people is $22 an hour.

So if you just looked at the average wage you could say that these 100 people shouldn't be crying about being poor! They're making $47,000 a year. That's a livable wage! But the truth is that the vast majority aren't making anywhere near $47,000 a year and the average is simply thrown off by the few people who are making far more than $47,000 a year.

Over simplified but the point is made. The average wage doesn't mean anything. Get an education and learn what average means, then post a topic.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You DO realize that you and the other liberals in this thread are in effect arguing that self-determination is impossible. How tyrannical, totalitarian, and fascist is that?
No one is doing that at all

It's the simple reality of the situation that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
The point that the majority of people miss is that:

If, starting today, everyone were to go to college, work their ass of, and graduate with a legitimate degree there certainly would not be enough high-paying jobs for everyone.

Everyone can't own their own business.

Our economic system is set up so that a certain (large) percentage of people will work at unskilled jobs (regardless of their actual skill level).

Anyone can work their way up and improve their life, but not everyone can.

So, it's absolutely senseless to demonize the poor, since, the majority of people have to be poor.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
EXCEPTIONS means they aren't the norm.
I get that. Unfortunately, most people DON'T want to work for what they have. They want it handed to them.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
All I know is that everyone of my friends make 50k+/yr. and NONE of use finished college, we went to trade school. Now, if that's possible, what's everyone's excuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies