Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroguydc View Post
that's the point.....half of the population should not be making that much less money when the average wage is $23 per hour. What are these people doing with their lives? Obviously not learning a trade skill and putting it to use, because that's where the money is. The only caveat i will offer is that jobs are more scarce right now, but lets be honest, $23 is pretty good money for the average person. So why aren't people seeking it by bettering themselves??
Quote:
do you realize how high some hourly wages have to be in order to have an average of $23????? Spanning millions of americans, that means that plenty of people are making way more than $23. So what's the excuse for those who are not making anywhere near the average?
Quote:
we are talking the mean. In other words, a boat load of american's would have to make far more than $23 per hour for the low wage earners to drag that mean down to $23. So why are the low wagers stuck in low wages? Why aren't they bettering themselves?
Quote:
simple minds aside, why aren't the low wagers bettering themselves? $23 per hour is not bad money for the majority of american's. You should ask around sometime.
Quote:
read the thread. You are not telling us anything we don't already know..... Including me who started the thread. The idea is to promote discussion. At 36 pages, it was a successful endeavor. You are not more intelligent, although you may be tempted to think so.
lmfao rotf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I know a lot of engineers that are the dumbest smart people in the world...

Engineers that couldn't problem solve their way out of a box when it came to real world issues. Education notwithstanding.
That doesn't seem to make much sense. A large part of earning an engineering degree is completing projects in which a LOT of problem solving skills are required, including just about everything from technical problems to cohesive team-building and working relationships problems.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
lmfao rotf.
There is nothing funny about people who don't understand statistics.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That doesn't seem to make much sense. A large part of earning an engineering degree is completing projects in which a LOT of problem solving skills are required, including just about everything from technical problems to cohesive team-building and working relationships problems.
Yup.

A lot fields require problem solving and critical thinking.

Doesn't mean that learning how to do so in specific circumstances means you can apply it outside of the field or in areas you have no experience.

While we were taught and expected to learn how to problem solve when I received my BSEE I've actually learned more critical thinking and problem solving skills related to real world issues in nursing practice.

Of course, in the DC area there is a large glut if engineers so the many I know may not be a significant number. I admit I know more that aren't stupid so to speak...

Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yup.

A lot fields require problem solving and critical thinking.

Doesn't mean that learning how to do so in specific circumstances means you can apply it outside of the field or in areas you have no experience.
Cohesive team-building and maintaining effectively working relationships (which engineers MUST do in order to accomplish anything) are universally applicable problem-solving skills.
Quote:
While we were taught and expected to learn how to problem solve when I received my BSEE I've actually learned more critical thinking and problem solving skills related to real world issues in nursing practice.
That must have been awhile ago, then, or it was an artifact of the engineering program you attended. Being taught and learning how to problem solve isn't enough to earn an engineering degree at all of the schools we looked at when my kids were going through the college application process. One must actually demonstrate that one can problem-solve in numerous different capacities or one does NOT earn the degree. One would fail too many classes. MANY individual and group projects are required to be completed and that simply cannot be done without demonstrating effective problem-solving skills.

I vividly remember one such project assigned by an engineering prof, the successful completion requirements of which were impossible to achieve. The prof did that on purpose and the actual point of the assignment was to grade problem-solving skills. The students had remarkably ingenious ways of getting as close to success as possible, even though every project submitted would by definition fail to meet the stipulated completion requirements.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Cohesive team-building and maintaining effectively working relationships (which engineers MUST do in order to accomplish anything) are universally applicable problem-solving skills.That must have been awhile ago, then, or it was an artifact of the engineering program you attended. Being taught and learning how to problem solve isn't enough to earn an engineering degree at all of the schools we looked at when my kids were going through the college application process. One must actually demonstrate that one can problem-solve in numerous different capacities or one does NOT earn the degree. One would fail too many classes. MANY individual and group projects are required to be completed and that simply cannot be done without demonstrating effective problem-solving skills.

I vividly remember one such project assigned by an engineering prof, the successful completion requirements of which were impossible to achieve. The prof did that on purpose and the actual point of the assignment was to grade problem-solving skills. The students had remarkably ingenious ways of getting as close to success as possible, even though every project submitted would by definition fail to meet the stipulated completion requirements.
Well I got my BSEE at VA Tech 2 years ago...

Honestly, while I did learn to think out of the box, I learned more problem solving skills in nursing and the army.

I know quite a few classmates that are pretty stupid (you would agree if you met them) but they had better GPAs than I did. I guess stupid may not be the right word. Naive maybe? Illogical at times?

I'm sorry, but aside from the initial math and work load combined with a full time job, my BSEE was not too hard. It was fun.

I had more problems with my nursing degree and there are stupid nurses as well lol...

Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Absolutely Aero! That's a good wage.
Join my union and I'll double that for you tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Well I got my BSEE at VA Tech 2 years ago...
Did you have to complete a project such as I described?
Quote:

Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Did you have to complete a project such as I described?
I had several capstone projects. I, however, never had group building projects. Nor did I have any unsolvable projects.

Well, not that I am aware of. I eschewed group activities in favor of solo work though.

If I remember correctly I did exactly one group project and that was not by choice or necessity. It was also in my intro to engineering class in freshman year.

Perhaps it was just my age though. The profs didn't subject us older students to the same activities that the younger students participated in. We had much more freedom and say in our activities and projects.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,470 times
Quote:
That's where making smart life decisions mentioned in The Millionaire Next Door come into play. It's no secret that liberal arts and teaching degrees usually don't yield high-paying jobs, and that those fields are already flooded with too many workers. So when one CHOOSES to prepare for a job in those fields, they are CHOOSING a relatively low income. It's a KNOWN factor. Therefore, it defies logic that any such person would then complain about a choice THEY made.
[rant on]
Please do not equate being a corporate money-maker as a smart decision. Some of us think that YOU made the unwise decision in life, but do we tell you about it as often as you tell us? Some of us don't want to be a millionaire, some people choose to make art and try to disrupt the status quo and not be a money-making cash cow living in excess and overflowing with our own greed and power. Yet we are mocked and treated as the lowest of the low, scum of the earth for the decisions we made. I thought every person had a place in society and everyone is valued? Some of you say one thing out of one side of your mouth and another thing out of the other side. Your kind constantly devalues the contributions of people who don't make very much money, yet we perform the basic hidden functions of modern life. Do you think the world would still exist as we know it if investment bankers and politicians and other millionaires were the only career paths out there? If you got rid of the low-paying jobs, your millionaire life would surely crumble very quickly. All we ask is for some respect.

The arts and humanities are very important to life and liberty. We artists express our free speech every day only to have it trampled upon by the same people that want to openly carry an AR-15 in a grocery store as a "wholesome" exercise of their 1st amendment rights. The Occupy movement is still excoriated even though you stomped on us until we were flattened. If somebody at an Occupy rally open-carried an AR-15 as a 1st and 2nd amendment right exercise, you can be sure we would be tazed, tackled, and beaten to a bloody pulp. Or would you laud that person as a good citizen?

Where would life be without music and art galleries? Didn't the Nazis expel all the artists? It sure made it easier to take over Germany with all those free-thinkers gone. Do you really want a world without art and color and beauty? Because we are surely headed there if the people who are so vocal on this board had their way about life.
[rant off]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies