Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
^

Don't park on grass, grass dont like that.
Ur exhaust system could light the grass on fire and ultimately light ur car on fire.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,625,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I just bought an f-350 turbo diesel dually ARR ARR ARR

12mpg and it's a fully loaded brute... It's AWESOME!
and in this corner, TIM THE TOOLMAN TAYLOR!!!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,094,074 times
Quote:
Cars are a part of our countries culture, if you are anti-car you are anti-american!
Wow.
For me this comment resides somewhere out there are on the idiot fringe.
And is a little worrisome when I see the confidence with which it is expressed.

How does Burning you way through limited resource wealth, because you like the feeling of piloting an expensive vehicle make you, or anyone else, a better "American"?

I would have thought that patriotism would have included some concern for the future of the country, and what you leave behind for your children and your grandchildren.

Is being "an American" for you, being someone who is unmindful of the long term consequences of one's actions?
(Do you really think you are invincible, Mr. iNviNciBL3 ? Maybe you should consider changing your screen name to : iMbeCil3 ?)

I know that that sort of grandeous attitude is common amongst a certain fringe within the country. And their behavior abroad has inspired foreigners to speak of "Ugly Americans." I imagine you do not care who others think, and you believe it is your god-given right to act rude, boorish, and an aggressive towards those who do not share your "true American" attitudes.

It's Sad really. Many genuine patriots who want something better in the long term for their country have to be associated (in the minds of foreigners) with such blatently irresponsible attitudes.

My advice: Try growing up, and seeing what you are doing to the planet, and how the rest of the world views that, before it is too late. Americans could get away with behavior like that when they were On Top, but the country is now sliding fast, mainly because too many are "living for today" with no thought of long term consequences.

Those who do not like American Boors should speak out here, and condemn that mindset. It might help some to wake up.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Wow.
For me this comment resides somewhere out there are on idiot fringe.
The reply was pretty much a throw away reply as it's not really worth giving much thought to a thread where someone thinks they know better how everyone else should live.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The reply was pretty much a throw away reply as it's not really worth giving much thought to a thread where someone thinks they know better how everyone else should live.
Actually, pkopp.
If you read the whole thread, you will find I do not think that I should tell everyone where to live, and whether they should own a car.

IN FACT, you have it backwards:
I want CHOICE, and a rebalancing of transport against the present favoring of the car.

I am happy if people live in Big Cities, Small Towns, or Rural areas. But I do not like living in a country, or a region of the country where Car Owners think they have the right to establish their favored living arrangement as the ONLY living arrangement for everyone else.

And I think that it is time that people were aware of the imbedded COSTS of a Car-dependent culture.

What's wrong in that?
The headline title was intentionally provocative as you will read in the Original Post. It has worked, making this thread one of the most read, most posted upon - in a very short time frame.

Now that "the gloves are off", we can either fight it out, or shake hands on those things where we find agreement.

Last edited by Geologic; 02-01-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times
Quote:
Wow.
For me this comment resides somewhere out there are on the idiot fringe.
And is a little worrisome when I see the confidence with which it is expressed.

How does Burning you way through limited resource wealth, because you like the feeling of piloting an expensive vehicle make you, or anyone else, a better "American"?

I would have thought that patriotism would have included some concern for the future of the country, and what you leave behind for your children and your grandchildren.

Is being "an American" for you, being someone who is unmindful of the long term consequences of one's actions?
(Do you really think you are invincible, Mr. iNviNciBL3 ? Maybe you should consider changing your screen name to : iMbeCil3 ?)

I know that that sort of grandeous attitude is common amongst a certain fringe within the country. And their behavior abroad has inspired foreigners to speak of "Ugly Americans." I imagine you do not care who others think, and you believe it is your god-given right to act rude, boorish, and an aggressive towards those who do not share your "true American" attitudes.

It's Sad really. Many genuine patriots who want something better in the long term for their country have to be associated (in the minds of foreigners) with such blatently irresponsible attitudes.

My advice: Try growing up, and seeing what you are doing to the planet, and how the rest of the world views that, before it is too late. Americans could get away with behavior like that when they were On Top, but the country is now sliding fast, mainly because too many are "living for today" with no thought of long term consequences.

Those who do not like American Boors should speak out here, and condemn that mindset. It might help some to wake up.
Hey don't worry about me, i just made a purchase on a Dodge Dart a couple months ago... its the perfect combination of Patriotic and Going green.

I bet the majority of the citizens in this country live in car centric suburbs, do you expect them all to put their mini-vans and suvs away?

Now i would like to make a suggestion

Seems like you don't like it here? study abroad in a biker, pedestrian friendly european country, marry someone and get citizenship. remember just a suggestion, i hate to see you in a place you dont like.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Hey don't worry about me, i just made a purchase on a Dodge Dart a couple months ago... its the perfect combination of Patriotic and Going green.

I bet the majority of the citizens in this country live in car centric suburbs, do you expect them all to put their mini-vans and suvs away?

Now i would like to make a suggestion

Seems like you don't like it here? study abroad in a biker, pedestrian friendly european country, marry someone and get citizenship. remember just a suggestion, i hate to see you in a place you dont like.
I won't have to do a single thing.

ECONOMICS are going to drive people to abandon the Suburbs. I would have thought this would be pretty clear to everyone by now. If you cannot see it, you may not have looked closely enough, or pondered the matter sufficiently.

Don't worry, I am not an aggressive person. Even if I disagree with you, I would not threaten you with violence. The only threat is that my arguments might get through to people, and make it harder for the happy motorists, such as yourself, to dominate the transport agenda. Gasoline taxes might rise, and roads might narrow with less parking, and you might see more bus-only lanes. Those are the sort of changes that would come in a CAL (Cars-Are-Last) world.

And also: more walkable neighborhoods, cleaner air, an improved balance of payments, and fewer Americans getting killed to foreign wars "to protect the interests of Big Oil."

Last edited by Geologic; 02-01-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
Actually, pkopp.
If you read the whole thread, you will find I do not think that I should tell everyone where to live, and whether they should own a car.
Get them out of your streets, and out of your lives.

I didn't read any further as what you say you didn't do, you did do.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,604,670 times
Quote:
I am happy if people live in Big Cities, Small Towns, or Rural areas. But I do not like living in a country, or a region of the country where Car Owners think they have the right to establish their favored living arrangement as the living arrangement for everyone else.
I'm pretty sure nobody I know is trying to convince you to live like we live or where we live. We want you to stay in the big city. We don't want to share our favored living arrangement with you.

Owning one car or ten cars has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times
Quote:
I won't have to do a single thing.

ECONOMICS are going to drive people to abandon the Suburbs.
I would have thought this would be pretty clear to everyone by now. If you cannot see it, you may not have looked closely enough, or pondered the matter sufficiently.

Don't worry, I am not an aggressive person. Even if I disagree with you, I would not threaten you with violence. The only threat is that my arguments might get through to people, and make it harder for the happy motorists, such as yourself, to dominate the transport agenda. Gasoline taxes might rise, and roads might narrow with less parking, and you might see more bus-only lanes. Those are the sort of changes that would come in a CAL (Cars-Are-Last) world.

And also: more walkable neighborhoods, cleaner air, an improved balance of payments, and fewer Americans getting killed to foreign wars "to protect the interests of Big Oil."
I don't like higher gasoline tax, i can handle narrow roads, less parking? kind of we should have less parking in the Downtown's and have commuter rails going out to the suburbs and the stations will have plenty of parking.

We currently seem to be more walkable friendly as a nation so i dont see the point in complaining. Many cities are improving their public transportation systems, Amtrak ridership is high, and dense/walkable apartment developments are popping up all over the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.