Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
LOL
Are you brainwashed by your media, that you believe that ??

Do you really not know what sort of immigrants are coming to the US?

Talk to successful Americans abroad, and you will learn how eager they are to give up their passports. The numbers of people FLEEING US citizenship is rising fast. My friends here who hear me talk about moving back to the US think I am nuts.

But I am a died-in-the-wool contrarian, and I am starting to see signs that Americans are starting to "get it" about the various challenges facing their country / our country - Despite what you may be reading on this thread !

I fled the country years ago, because it seemed hopeless then, and opportunities were better abroad. I now think that things can get better. But people need to shake off the programming they are getting from the media.

Maybe tomorrow, I will list some of the positive points that I see.
My media? How do you know what kind of media I get my info from?

I learn a lot of current events mostly from CNN, BBC, Al-Jazerra....

Btw I'm flattered we're still on your mind and you still worry about us even though you left years ago.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:08 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Right now, your money is draining away on your Truck: Your choice, as you say.
But what will you do if/when the dollar falls, and dollar oil prices rise?
At some point you may wish that you were less car/truck dependent.
By then, it may be too late to escape from the trap. You will be like a junkie
hooked on heroin, finding you have to pay the market price.

Thanks, but I prefer to avoid that dependency
Um, my truck is paid for. It adds $500 a year for insurance. It's not costing me anything but a few bucks for gas. Once a month I fill the tank.

Why would I want to live my life worrying about what could happen later on. The dollar isn't going any where any time soon so I am just going to enjoy my life. And if it did crash I'd have a hell of a lot more to worry about then my truck. So I think I'm just going to stay where I'm at and enjoy my life. I love my career chasing marlins in the deep burning 3 to 500 gallons a day doing that while at work and I'll enjoy DRIVING my truck to and from the boat.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
That article is an exaggeration, but people here are now pushing the government hard on this issue.

My real point was that the Pollution in China, is largely a consequence of its being "the workshop to the world", esepecially on heavy manufacturing that does generate much of the bad air.

That, and the need to burn coal for electricity.

You are lucky to live in a country which has less of that sort of pollution, but then all the driving in the US is certainly not helping air quality.
Thanks but I will take Professor Hedley's studied findings over your opinion. I found this part of it interesting also.

Quote:
His study also suggested that while everyone was exposed to pollution, the study found lower income groups in the city suffered from a higher death rate than other sectors.
It doesn't really matter what you point was because when it comes down to it, Hong Kong is so crowded you have people paying $1 million for a tiny apartment, you can't have any space to yourself since you are jam packed in, the air quality is so bad that it kills over 3000 people a year but yeah you can get a train to some other packed in #### hole neighborhood in under 7 minutes.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Sure - that can be fun.
But do you think about all the knock-on costs of your happy motoring experience?
Addictions usually come with some sort of hook, or not so many people would fall into it.
I do the same thing on my bicycle. But know no fake war is need to support my desire

Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
The US made a Bad Choice in building out the suburbs.
It seemed like the right choice when oil was cheap and abundant. But the US is now saddled with a very expensive and outmoded "living arrangement" (the Suburbs), that is driving the country towards bankruptcy (again.)

James Kunstler:

"The suburbs are the greatest mal-investment in the history of mankind"
(I paraphase. Watch the video to get it right.)
I guess he is your hero? Here is some pictures from when he put a garden in, at the house he just bought.

You know how I put my garden in? By hand

How does he travel to his speaking engagements? Horse drawn carriage? Sled dogs? It wouldn't be by car and plane would it?

Last edited by Mike1306; 02-02-2013 at 03:36 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
You cannot live that way in the City- unless you are a multi-millionaire
Do you have a very large family, to need such a large home?
Then how the hell can I save $8000-$10,000 a year if it is going to cost me so much more for my house and acreage? Your original statement about saving was based on nothing but a random number you plucked out of the air without taking into account a multitude of other factors.

And not that it is any of your business but I did have 3 children who are now off at school, I had family visiting often because they wanted to get out of the city, the 5th bedroom is my library. It is my choice to live in a large home out on a little bit of acreage rather than being crammed in a tiny apartment. Choice being the key word here.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
I know that that sort of grandeous attitude is common amongst a certain fringe within the country. And their behavior abroad has inspired foreigners to speak of "Ugly Americans."

Those who do not like American Boors should speak out here, and condemn that mindset. It might help some to wake up.
Yes, you are one of those that were born here and now are in some other country being their ***** and agreeing with them how bad America is, have fun with that.

You have yet to show how I am going to save $8000-$10000 a year by moving to some city where I have to live in a cramped apartment because living somewhere in that city with any room to myself would cost millions.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Actually, pkopp.
If you read the whole thread, you will find I do not think that I should tell everyone where to live, and whether they should own a car.

IN FACT, you have it backwards:
I want CHOICE, and a rebalancing of transport against the present favoring of the car.

I am happy if people live in Big Cities, Small Towns, or Rural areas. But I do not like living in a country, or a region of the country where Car Owners think they have the right to establish their favored living arrangement as the ONLY living arrangement for everyone else.

And I think that it is time that people were aware of the imbedded COSTS of a Car-dependent culture.

What's wrong in that?
The headline title was intentionally provocative as you will read in the Original Post. It has worked, making this thread one of the most read, most posted upon - in a very short time frame.

Now that "the gloves are off", we can either fight it out, or shake hands on those things where we find agreement.
You did not ask for a choice, you tried to tell everyone else how to live.
You gave nothing to show what the extra costs are even though asked repeatedly to show how I could save $8000-$10000 a year.

And great, you made a post, which many people didn't agree with because you were wanting to take away a fundamental right, so they posted in your thread. I predict this thread will close or fade away in a few days and you will return to your tiny cramped apartment in the polluted hole that is Hong Kong and no one will remember you in a few days.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
...Hong Kong is so crowded you have people paying $1 million for a tiny apartment, you can't have any space to yourself since you are jam packed in, the air quality is so bad that it kills over 3000 people a year but yeah you can get a train to some other packed in #### hole neighborhood in under 7 minutes.
You haven't lived here - so you do not understand the advantages.
I HAVE lived in several American cities, and understand the "advantages" of a suburban life with daily commuting.

I am seeking something different from that. A viable alternative may be starting to creep onto the "menu" in America, near Charlotte, a city which has some attractions from me.

I though Baxter might fit the bill, until I read that there were only Four bus trips a day - that's 4x inbound, and 4x outbound. When I read about that meagre commuting frequency, I started the Rant that produced this thread.

America is getting better for the Non-Car Owner, but it still has a Long, long way to go in that particular area. The responses on this thread have so far made me think that progress in people's attitude is still less dramatic than I had hoped it was.

The "fundamental right" that you seem to be arguing for is the right to deprive everyone of any viable alternative other than owning a car. I saw that ingrained attitude 20-30 years, and got the hell out. There really are a few signs that things are changing despite what some car addicts are posting here.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Got a nice home.
Got adequate money.
Got two nice vehicles.
Can afford $6 per gal. gas.
What else do I need?
Sex?

Drugs?

Rock 'N Roll?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies