Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,963,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
No. What I am saying is if you didn't tell me, I'd probably keep on eating it.

[horse meat in burgers...what if they've been doing this all along?]
When you read the article, you will see that one of the BK beed suppliers in the UK tested positive for traces of horsemeat. No actual BK burger tested positive. None the less, BK cut off this particular supplier. The end. Enjoy your Whopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,963,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People, can we please be logical about this?

First of all, there have been ZERO burgers from Burger King that have tested positive for the presence of horse meat - anywhere, in any of their locations worldwide.

Secondly, the meat bought from the supplier in question (from Poland) was NEVER sold or eaten in the US. The only BK restaurants even possibly affected were in the UK and Ireland. And I repeat, no traces of equine DNA were found in ANY Burger King locations anywhere in the world.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41867550,d.b2I

Burger King says it never sold horse meat despite supplier issues - latimes.com
People have a tendency to form opinions based on sensational headlines instead of looking at the facts.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,230,241 times
Default Would Be nice to fact check first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This is why I avoid chain fast food "restaurants" like the plague.

I am partial to Mexican food anyway, and when I want a good taco, there are limitless genuine taquerias to choose from here in Los Angeles County.

When I want a fast food hamburger - I find an In N Out.

There are penty of Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Korean joints around here as well.

Why would I ever want to go to Burger King?

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Think about it? Why would a national franchise adulterate its products?
What do you think it is, McDonalds?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 AM

117 posts, read 161,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People, can we please be logical about this?

First of all, there have been ZERO burgers from Burger King that have tested positive for the presence of horse meat - anywhere, in any of their locations worldwide.

Secondly, the meat bought from the supplier in question (from Poland) was NEVER sold or eaten in the US. The only BK restaurants even possibly affected were in the UK and Ireland. And I repeat, no traces of equine DNA were found in ANY Burger King locations anywhere in the world.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41867550,d.b2I

Look at this, someone actually reading the story and it only took 27 posts.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM

59,555 posts, read 27,740,275 times
Quote:

I am partial to Mexican food anyway, and when I want a good taco, there are limitless genuine taquerias to choose from here in Los Angeles County.

There are penty of Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Korean joints around here as well.

So?

If you don't like it, don't go there.

Orientals eat cat and dog. Beware!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,349,332 times
Dammit! I had a Whopper a few days ago, and the thought of me eating Seattle Slew isn't very frickin appealing.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM

23,821 posts, read 24,225,967 times
I prefer buffalo, although it's more expensive. When we can't get it, we buy grass fed and finished beef.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM

4,421 posts, read 6,294,963 times
Quote:

Most of us have known this for a long time.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,349,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I prefer buffalo, although it's more expensive. When we can't get it, we buy grass fed and finished beef.
Oh man...lean and tangy. Makes great hamburgers. Way better than beef.

Need to ask the boss if I can go TDY to Ft. Sill Oklahoma for a few days.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM

5,508 posts, read 5,260,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Horse meat is probably more expensive than beef because it's harder to find. Are you sure this is true?
Horse meat goes for between 10 cents and 80 cents a pound--just because it is "rare" and not found on your supermarket shelf doesn't mean it is expensive. It's probably not hard to find via the large meat brokers, who often import from places like Mexico where concern for animals is virtually non-existent. There's a good financial reason BK decided to use it.

That being said, I now have to boycott BK until they don't use it anymore--as all animal lovers like myself should (vocally). I've owned horses, slaughtering them for meat is simply wrong. Same for dogs and cats, and goats (which are quite like dogs when raised properly). Human beings need to have some standards for what we consider food: we don't eat other human beings, for example, even though there is no shortage of potential "meat" there as humans take up more and more of the biomass of the planet.

I must also condemn places like France (ironically, the highlight of liberal dogma), where apparently low price trumps ethics: "Horse meat is once again a big thing in France, increasingly considered an alternative to expensive beef as food costs rise and people look for cheaper substitutes." http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/op....13829773.html

As to Burger King's rebuttal that only England and Ireland got horsemeat in their burgers, I suspect that if it can happen there, it can happen here. There's no way our government is going to test all of Burger King's suppliers or products, and if they did the media would not report it--Big Business makes the rules here, controls our government, and supports the media with its advertising dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies