Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Well if you miss, you will be charged with some level of assault. Is a crime in most places to fire a 'warning shot'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Getting the hell out of where?
I assume that poster means your own house

In my case i would have at that time, but there was no other way out past him with my wife of the time my infant/ toddler son, the great dane and my horse .....

Shooting the SOB was far and away easier

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Wouldn't you really be better of just getting the hell out of there?
What if the next school/mall shooter decides to bring several 10 rd magazines and has been practicing reloading drills for months before he does the deed? What if he gets one of the millions of high capacity mags already out in the public realm?

What if banning them doesn't make bad things stop happening?! What if the politicians are lying about making the world safer by making yet more laws and just want to make themselves look good to ignorant people for the next election by "doing something" that is really quite easy compared to working on the real problem (dealing with crazy people who want to hurt others) and is actually completely ineffective in reality!?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
what if there are 11 home invaders?

And honestly.....does it matter? If we want a gun with 15 shots....we should be able to have a gun with 15 shots.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What if the next school/mall shooter decides to bring several 10 rd magazines and has been practicing reloading drills for months before he does the deed? What if he gets one of the millions of high capacity mags already out in the public realm?

What if banning them doesn't make bad things stop happening?! What if the politicians are lying about making the world safer by making yet more laws and just want to make themselves look good to ignorant people for the next election by "doing something" that is really quite easy compared to working on the real problem (dealing with crazy people who want to hurt others) and is actually completely ineffective in reality!?
We have already heard from all the reloading experts, common sense should tell you it's better to take your chances with someone reloading 10 round magazines rather than someone with a 30 round clip. If I am in danger of a madman my preference would be surely not be 30 rounds.

Ignorance is to do nothing and acceptance of things the way they exist today.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,034 times
Quote:
Um, your OP is flawed. How do you get out of there or advance your position? I'll help since you never have been trained or in a gunfight before. It's called "fortifying" or "pucker factor". People tend to keep their heads down or stay behind cover when being fired upon. They sure won't be running full tilt at you like the Japs did. There's brave and there's flat out stupid.

No one said you only have one attacker either. Good luck with that Smith J-Frame with no extra ammo or speedloader as well. I hope you can put three men on meth or PCP down when they are p*ssed with five .38s.................

Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I assume, since you call it a "musket", it's smoothbore rather than rifled? But even a rifled musket ball isn't going to penetrate "3+ men easy at a few feet" - it doesn't have the velocity or penetrating power to drive through three bodies, it'll just take a big hole out of the first target.

I hate it when historical fiction gets the details wrong.
Kinda like the Police using a 12 gauge slug to go through a fender/door....maybe the firewall too and not only crack a cast iron engine block, pierce it all in the same.

Ever heard of a roadblock before?

It's not that far fetched.....maybe for the guys who hang out at the library instead of out in the field.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We have already heard from all the reloading experts, common sense should tell you it's better to take your chances with someone reloading 10 round magazines rather than someone with a 30 round clip. If I am in danger of a madman my preference would be surely not be 30 rounds.

Ignorance is to do nothing and acceptance of things the way they exist today.
Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease and REAL ignorance is to believe bad things can be easily prevented with the stroke of a politician's pen.

As if a deranged gunman will change his mind about shooting up a room full of innocents because he can only buy a 10 round clip at the store instead of a 30... or that tens of millions of high capacity clips in circulation will magically disappear if they are banned!

BTW, I can reload my Sig pistol (the same kind the S.H. shooter had) in less that 2 seconds... with 10 rd magazines because I didn't want to pay more for high-cap mags. Feel safer yet?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
It would be better if people like you educated yourself on the topic before voicing ignorant opinions.

What if you're not alone? Are YOU going to run out and leave your children behind for the invaders because you ran out of liberal approve ammunition? What if they're between you and the door?

The police only have a 25% hit rate, assuming the average homeowner shoots as well that means 10 bullets might be enough if there are 2 home invaders - a more and more common occurance. What if there are 3 invaders, which also happens more than some would admit? Now you very possibly don't have enough rounds, but would with a common 15 round magazine.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Well if you miss, you will be charged with some level of assault. Is a crime in most places to fire a 'warning shot'.
More ignorance. A miss is not a warning shot. You would only be charged if you weren't justified in shooting in the first place. If someone is attacking and you shoot at them, but miss and they run away that doesn't equate to firing a warning shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies