Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time some professor mangled the English language to invent a new pretentious term like "advisement" to sound sophisticated.
Damn those posing 14th-century professors!

Quote:
advisement (n.): early 14c., avisement "examination, inspection, observation," from Old French avisement "consideration, reflection," from aviser (see advise). Meaning "advice, counsel" is from c.1400, as is that of "consultation, conference."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
College has become a scam for many, just sinking students in debt and inculcating them with pretentious terminology. Try getting a practical mathematics or engineering degree liberals instead of "cultural studies."

I have a degree in practical mathematics.

[addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division]

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
'NOW, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!'
- Charles Dickens, Hard Times (1854)
. . .

Much of what passes for education is a waste of time, albeit that now a college education has come to be the ticket to middle-class society. Beyond that, what good is the pursuit of useless studies and advanced academic degrees that only certify learning beyond one’s capacity to think? It seems a tiresome venture with but little prospect for any substantial reward; and yet one sees such masters of arcane knowledge that are no good for anything but pretentious pedantry. Their heads are filled with useless facts. (I am reminded of a noted ichthyologist who prided himself with knowing the Latin names for the entire class Osteichthyes, and whose students joked that the professor was so full of fish that every time he learned of a newly-discovered species another would pop out his backside in an expression of unpardonable French!) One cannot help but think that more useful things might well be learned outside the halls of academe at the local tavern.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
College has become a scam for many, just sinking students in debt and inculcating them with pretentious terminology. Try getting a practical mathematics or engineering degree liberals instead of "cultural studies." I actually had someone in a college class tell me it was offensive to talk about some people being unintelligent. I thought, "Why the hell are we here, if we can't agree that some people have worked to become intelligent and others have not?" This lady insisted I use the word "ignorant" instead, because apparently that is PC and we don't want to label intelligence. I explained to her that ignorance is different than stupidity, because you can be quite knowledgable about facts and trivia and still be stupid. If I had a dollar for every time some professor mangled the English language to invent a new pretentious term like "advisement" to sound sophisticated. And people wondered why our president talked that way; its because the emperors with no clothes in our universities have been doing it for decades. Schools and money thrown at issues kill creativity, so why do liberals claim they are more intelligent than others, when they keep trying the same things time and time again that don't work.
Ummm... Free advice for the next complaint: run it past a liberal who studied English grammar and composition.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
What's are "practical mathematics liberals"?

If you think about it, a comma following 'mathematics' fixes it.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
Iatrogeneticidal anthropoantihumanosis, man.
HEY! Watch your language, man! There's kids here!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ummm... Free advice for the next complaint: run it past a liberal who studied English grammar and composition.

I used to have this attitude when I was young, but after thinking about it, I decided that an underemployed liberal arts major really had no standing to complain about the grammatical errors of a person who has earned affluence.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Social Science = Oxymoron

Old 02-02-2013, 06:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I'm in engineering, and most of what I learn and do at my place of employment has nothing to do with what I learned in college.

A degree simply means you have the ability to learn, much as a pilots license means you have the ability to learn to fly.

After you get your degree/license, then you learn how to do whatever it is you've set your mind to do.

College and university educations aren't what makes you smart, but they sure as hell don't mean you're stupid either.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Stupidity is a lack of intelligence. When it gets really hairy is when the two are combined. For instance, when it comes to car mechanics, I am both stupid and ignorant. When it comes to most sports I am blissfully ignorant. I can't really think of an example where one could be stupid about something but not ignorant. The closet I can think of is spelling, I can't naturally spell well but I have been educated on the art of looking up words and using spellcheck.

You can get educated to get rid of ignorance but stupid is forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies