Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times

Advertisements

As a new critically acclaimed documentary 'Nostalgia For The Light' brings the subject of Chile's dictatorship under Pinochet in focus again perhaps now is an opportune moment to re-examine some of America's controversial interventions in South America that have disrupted the rule of law and distorted the balance of democracy.:-
Nostalgia for the Light - Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Britain and America's support for Pinochet was nothing short of a disgrace and now with hindsight looking back I just wondered how much compassion there was in the US for the lives that were lost as a result of a coup-de-tat in Chile and the thousands of disappearances and murders that were heavily influenced by American policy specifically Nixon's declaration to inflict pain on the Chilean economy.
The Other 9/11 - Chile - Coup d'état - September 11, 1973 - YouTube

As recently as 2002 America was embroiled in another attempted coup (with alleged involvement of the CIA) and as this clip clearly shows sniper fire (3:18 approx in the clip below) into a crowd of innocent civilians was used by those who attempted the coup as a catalyst for regime change within the Venezuelan Government. Many in the crowd were convinced that this 'dirty war' was instigated with complicit support of the CIA. If America sanctioned these rebels (and there is very strong evidence to believe they did) how can America claim moral superiority on the terrorists it is waging war against in Afghanistan and Pakistan right now?

The fabrications and lies by the opposition were exposed by Irish journalists who happened to be in the country at the time. Of course South American policy had long been cloaked in controversy for some time but do Americans believe that their political interventions in South America have benefited the continent overall or have they de-stabilised democracy in the South? Should America be ashamed of its military interventions that have been an affront to democracy in the region?

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Part 4 - YouTube

Chavez appeared to prefer an Obama victory at the last election (be it marginally) but I would hope we have seen the end of these kinds of military ventures that have had severe repurcussions for the rule of law and democracy in South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I'm ashamed we had Nixon as POTUS, this was only one of his failings.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Absolutely. Very ashamed and embarrassed.

Kissinger should've been in prison a long time ago.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Ashamed? Is that even the right word for having anything to do with this sort of thing:

La Venda Sexy:

Quote:
The torture methods here were differentiated from those of the other centers in that they were more sexual in nature. Rape and sexual abuse of the women prisoners by agents and guards was common. Male prisoners were often victims of sexual abuse as well. The "grill" and electric shock treatments were also frequently used in the center. Torture sessions were alternated with periods of rest and better treatment by the guards as a method of obtaining the desired information.

Further information about La Venda Sexy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%BAl_Iturriaga

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Secret.....-a0134381844

Quote:
Sexual violence was used indiscriminately on pregnant women who were separated from their children, on fourteen-year-old girls who bore the children of their rapists, and on 68year-old women raped in front of their sons.

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/rhr/v079/79.1meade.html

Quote:
As Matta explains, although he spent several weeks in Villa Grimaldi, he came there after having been held for five days at an even more notorious place, Venda Sexy, so named for the inhumanly bizarre sex games a guard orchestrated there with her dogs and the prisoners

Old 02-02-2013, 12:05 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
This thread should be in the history forum.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
My mom lived in Chile during the Pinochet regime. It was pretty ****ing terrible according to her. She lost a few friends.

This is probably gonna get me put on a list somewhere, but I think the CIA is one of the most criminal and awful organizations in human history.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
This thread should be in the history forum.
Not until we learn what a fool's errand it is trying to make the world the way we want, we're not even close.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
My mom lived in Chile during the Pinochet regime. It was pretty ****ing terrible according to her. She lost a few friends.

This is probably gonna get me put on a list somewhere, but I think the CIA is one of the most criminal and awful organizations in human history.
I'd be happy to join you on that list. It's time the CIA was restricted to gathering intelligence, nothing else.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd be happy to join you on that list. It's time the CIA was restricted to gathering intelligence, nothing else.
I agree, but good luck. They've been doing shady things since the 60s at least.

Their LSD experiments alone put them up there with Unit 731, at least in my book.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I agree, but good luck. They've been doing shady things since the 60s at least.

Their LSD experiments alone put them up there with Unit 731, at least in my book.

Hell, if we ever knew the entire story their doingd would probably make Dr Mengele green with envy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies