Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
As a Person who sees the dems as a lesser of the 2 evils any Dem that would be able to take a red district would not commit political suicide in supporting anything more than the background checks.
Perhaps. OTOH, Obama seems to want an 'assault weapon' ban pretty badly as part of his legacy, and right now he is the alpha dog of the D pack.

Regardless, if the D's were to take the house in 2014, there will be a buying frenzy. In fact even if it looks like they might, there will be a frenzy in summer/fall 2014. I think the early prognosticators are saying that it is an uphill climb for the D's in 2014, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Perhaps. OTOH, Obama seems to want an 'assault weapon' ban pretty badly as part of his legacy, and right now he is the alpha dog of the D pack.

Regardless, if the D's were to take the house in 2014, there will be a buying frenzy. In fact even if it looks like they might, there will be a frenzy in summer/fall 2014. I think the early prognosticators are saying that it is an uphill climb for the D's in 2014, though.
The current paraniod gun buying frenzy has everything to do with the perception of the president and nothing to do with congress. The democrats had full control of the executive branch, house and senate with nothing close to the current level of gun purchases.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The current paraniod gun buying frenzy has everything to do with the perception of the president and nothing to do with congress. The democrats had full control of the executive branch, house and senate with nothing close to the current level of gun purchases.
I agree wholeheartedly. For the average and uneducated voter, they think the policies of the POTUS are the end all be all.

Clearly demonstrated by the "phone lady" who thought that her free cell phone service, probly Safelink, was only available because Obama was in office. Thats why she voted for him this go round. These types are dangerous for our country. They say we ought to have to pass a test and get a permit to buy a gun? I say the same logic ought to be applied to voting.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 AM

198 posts, read 167,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Gun owners are just beginning to realize that the NRA sold them down the river. It's laughable.
After they sold the gun owners down the river in 1994 I decided I would never trust them. I was never a member to begin with but their compromise with the Brady bunch insured that I would never waste my money supporting the NRA. And after watching LaPierre's performance in the Senate hearing on Jan. 30th I believe it is time for him to retire and pass the baton to someone younger that can formulate a statement w/o making a serious blunder of it.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 AM

198 posts, read 167,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You haven't shopped for AR parts in a while. The cheapest I have seen lowers in stock (and they were gone within an hour) was $200 (Aero Precision), with a number of better brands running well over $300. For a part that was $100-125 a couple months ago. Uppers, LPKs, bolt carrier assys and barrels are nearly unobtainable. Bravo Company, Atomic Tactical, Rainier, PSA, Midway, all are in the same boat, with several closing down their web sites due to back orders.

Obama, through his ignorance and arrogance, has managed to sell more firearms than the 10 next best salesmen combined.
Actually I have been buying the latest issues of Shotgun News just to keep track of the AR market since the Sandy Hook shooting craze. While complete AR's are rather expensive you can still by parts to build them relatively cheap. I don't have to worry about lowers anymore as I bought a bunch of Forged Blanks to machine myself for $20 each a few years ago but when I recently checked the site I purchased them from they now list for $65 each and these aren't even 80% receivers. But while everyone else is running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, I can relax and take my time machining my own receivers

I saw one advertiser listing stripped lowers for as low as $65 each but the average price is around $125 and can go as high as $200 depending on the producer and their machining process. Complete uppers seem to be holding for now for standard configuration uppers.

But you are right about obummer selling more guns. but then again, perhaps that was the plan. he spent loads of money on his campaign so buy stock in gun and ammo suppliers and use scare tactics to impact the market share values. kinda like insider trading doncha think?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Went to my local gun store today and they are completely sold out! I walked in and saw all the shelves were empty.
I have been buying now for more than a decade, my supply is enough to keep my family and i supplied for at least a few years.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I have been buying now for more than a decade, my supply is enough to keep my family and i supplied for at least a few years.
The key now is not to let the government know what or who or where. NDAA changed everything.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM

504 posts, read 456,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
After they sold the gun owners down the river in 1994 I decided I would never trust them. I was never a member to begin with but their compromise with the Brady bunch insured that I would never waste my money supporting the NRA. And after watching LaPierre's performance in the Senate hearing on Jan. 30th I believe it is time for him to retire and pass the baton to someone younger that can formulate a statement w/o making a serious blunder of it.
I think his performance did damn near as much damage as Newtown. He makes gun owners look like stark raving ignorant lunatics. He is not very well spoken.

A smart NRA would be able to leverage this situation and parlay it into a national CCW licensing program which would take some of the guesswork out of things. Could care less about backgroound checks and loophole closures because there are some Idiots out there who should not have posession of firearms. It wont stop 'em all but if it stops just one Nutjob while not infringing on law abiding folks then I have no complaints.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
Actually I have been buying the latest issues of Shotgun News just to keep track of the AR market since the Sandy Hook shooting craze. While complete AR's are rather expensive you can still by parts to build them relatively cheap. I don't have to worry about lowers anymore as I bought a bunch of Forged Blanks to machine myself for $20 each a few years ago but when I recently checked the site I purchased them from they now list for $65 each and these aren't even 80% receivers. But while everyone else is running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, I can relax and take my time machining my own receivers

I saw one advertiser listing stripped lowers for as low as $65 each but the average price is around $125 and can go as high as $200 depending on the producer and their machining process. Complete uppers seem to be holding for now for standard configuration uppers.

But you are right about obummer selling more guns. but then again, perhaps that was the plan. he spent loads of money on his campaign so buy stock in gun and ammo suppliers and use scare tactics to impact the market share values. kinda like insider trading doncha think?
You might want to check with those lower manufacturers and see if they are actually in stock. What does come in (at anything approaching a fair price) is generally sold out within an hour or two, on the sites I'm watching. If you can actually get them for anywhere near $65, buy as many as you can for resale! Of course when Obama gets tired of babbling about a ban, the buying frenzy will die down and prices return to something approaching normal.

A friend of mine owns a company that manufacturers ARs. He's been doing high end billet lowers (spendy) but decided to get into forged ones. Last I saw he had 5000 forgings on his shop floor, and starting to run through the Matsuura.

I may need to try an "80%" receiver some time. I don't have a full blown knee mill, but a mill/drill machine might be adequate and a fun hobby. I'll be coating the one set of parts I have and doing an assembly this weekend, hope it's a shooter! I've got a couple more lowers and a few uppers waiting on finances to finish.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
...A smart NRA would be able to leverage this situation and parlay it into a national CCW licensing program which would take some of the guesswork out of things. Could care less about backgroound checks and loophole closures because there are some Idiots out there who should not have posession of firearms. It wont stop 'em all but if it stops just one Nutjob while not infringing on law abiding folks then I have no complaints.
I've been thinking along those lines as well. If anything goes through as far as universal background checks, tack on a couple of amendments, first as you say, national CCW reciprocity. Actually enforce the commerce clause. Second, tack on a repeal of the '86 ammendment to the FOPA that bans registration and transfer of newly made automatics to civilians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies