Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
That is where this country is at........run by the most corrupt folks on earth and hopelessly divided.

This county will totally fall apart within the next 20 years!
Agreed.

Complete scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The problem seems to me is endemic today: instead of civilized discussion and presentation of information, inevitably some people will reply with name-calling, scoffing and insults. And there is little criticism or censure for doing so; almost as if this were an acceptable adult response. We see it on TV whenever there is a political discussion or commentary, so it appears that even televised experts and intellectuals "debate" this way. I've never know true intellectuals to discuss issues with childish insults and name-calling, but then again true intellectuals tend to keep their own society--so many Americans nowadays would never experience a true discussion between intellectuals since such a thing would never be televised.
For anyone who is interested, there actually is a series of serious balanced debates called Intelligence Squared. Many of them are available on youtube.

I have watched many of them, and found one of the arguments in the debate on affirmative action particularly enlightening. That being that the brightest black students who take advantage of affirmative action to go to elite private schools have a lower graduation rate than more average black students who go to state schools. Affirmative action actually ends up hurting the exact people it was most intended to help. You get a lot further in life being a State University successful graduate than you do from being a Harvard dropout. In all the discussions I've seen around the web on affirmative action, I'd never seen that statistic before watching the Intelligence Squared debate.

Note I'm not trying to change the subject here to affirmative action. I'm just illustrating that the debates on Intelligence Squared have interesting and substantive arguments and are worth checking out for people interested in political debate without the insults.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
I think counting to 30 before immediately sending a response to someone you disagree with helps. Recently, I thanked someone who disagreed with me for sharing their views. The second exchange between us was more civil than the first. I had let the poster know that they were not providing any facts, but engaging in ridicule and mere mockery the first time and had no chance to change my mind with that approach. You can stand your ground and still be civil. Avoid name calling or simply agree to disagree and say it is great we can live in a country where we can do that. I am not perfect, but that list of ten things (at beginning of thread) is really amazing (amazingly disappointing). The maturity of adults these days is barely above that of children at times.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
When the fringe element can't back up their argument they resort to personal attacks and name calling. There seems to be a handful of very extreme people here who do nothing but post links to far left and far right web pages. Debate is one thing, wasting time with that nonsense is another. It's the same way in society now. If you disagree with one of these people, you're personally attacked. Calling the President "Obozo" I guess is supposed to be clever. It just shows me a total lack of respect for anyone, including the poster himself.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
2: The ease at which posters here are able to call another a fascist or Nazi. Again, is your argument so weak that you cannot at least listen to another's argument and consider that there may be something constructive to take away and add to your stance on an issue?
Godwin's Law.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Insulting people you disagree with like this is exactly part of the point the OP is trying to make about people not being civil.

Actually I thought it was pretty funny considering how many cranks here think that there is a vast conspiracy against them, as they post all their ideas from their home computers showing where they are located. The tin foil hatters seem to think that these conspiracies can discover secrets and eliminate wealthy public figures with impunity...but some how lonely crazy people on public forums (or street corners) escape their notice.
If you think you're helping the cause: FAIL!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Godwin's Law.
Godwin's Law is nothing more than a Liberal construct to avoid discussing tyrannical policies/methods by claiming anyone who mentions Hitler, automatically loses the argument.

I call BS.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 AM

Liberals have a lot of little catch phrases they learned on MSNBC.

Seriously, after being sick to death of the insults hurled at W for 8 years, then the impossibly hateful rhetoric aimed at Sarah by people too stupid to know she didn't say, "I can see Russia from my house", then when 0bama came along to hear nothing but RACIST if for any little reason you didn't want to vote for him, Republicans/conservatives just got sick to death of it and now are hurling it back. Is it the smart thing to do? No. Is it the mature thing to do? No. But sometimes shooting back is the only defense. And pitiful little whiney liberals and blacks can't take it.

Too bad.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Liberals have a lot of little catch phrases they learned on MSNBC.

Seriously, after being sick to death of the insults hurled at W for 8 years, then the impossibly hateful rhetoric aimed at Sarah by people too stupid to know she didn't say, "I can see Russia from my house", then when 0bama came along to hear nothing but RACIST if for any little reason you didn't want to vote for him, Republicans/conservatives just got sick to death of it and now are hurling it back. Is it the smart thing to do? No. Is it the mature thing to do? No. But sometimes shooting back is the only defense. And pitiful little whiney liberals and blacks can't take it.

Too bad.
Hello pot, meet kettle.

Quote:
If you think you're helping the cause: FAIL

Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Hello pot, meet kettle.
I don't have a cause. I didn't start the thread.

Damn, it must suck..............DOH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies