Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Ohhh, so Sarah was supposed to "infer" that she was being asked about a potential attack from Russia? Really? If a reporter wanted to know her position on existing or future U.S. defense positions in Alaska, he should have ASKED that!
She was asked about her foreign policy credentials. Being able to see Russia from her state is no more a foreign policy credential than being able to see Mexico from California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas; or Canada from Washington, Idaho, Montana, N. Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-23-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I've been posting on this forum for a few months now, and it still shocks me to see the lack of reasonable, civil debate around here. I'm a member of several other political forums, and none of them seem to reach the level of vile nastiness that I constantly encounter on city data. Of the mean spirited things I've heard:

1) Accusing gay people of being pedophiles
2) Obama supporters are communists
3) Minorities all want handouts
3) The tea party is like the taliban
4) Conservative posters should take their opinions to storm front
5) Republicans/Democrats are stupid
6) Obama should be impeached (for what???)
7) Republican/Democratic policies are akin to Nazism
8) Gabrielle Giffords is manipulating people into supporting gun control and should just go away
9) All conservatives are vehemently opposed to any kind of diversity
10) Hoping the country dissolves because of who is in office

It's all just vile sickening things on this forum. That's the problem with online communities. Chances are, none of us will ever meet in person so some of us feel like there's no need to be civil or decent to each other when we're all behind a computer screen. We forget that we're all people worthy of respect. I apologize for any harsh post I've made as well. I hope we can improve on this. It will make the forum a much better place.
What you see on this board is what you see in our government and country. Politicians know you win elections by attacking the opponent .Whether it is truthful or not does not matter.If you make the same attack over and over some people will believe you.Our government is no longer about civil debate it is about attacking whether its true or not .Exactly as you see on this board.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
She was asked about her foreign policy credentials. Being able to see Russia from her state is no more a foreign policy credential than being able to see Mexico from California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas; or Canada from Washington, Idaho, Montana, N. Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine.
Full relevant transcript from interview:

Quote:
CHARLES GIBSON (ABC NEWS)
(Off-camera) Let me ask you about specific national security situations. Let’s start, because we are near Russia. Let’s start with Russia and Georgia. The administration has said, we’ve got to maintain the territorial integrity of Georgia. Do you believe the United States should try to restore Georgian sovereignty over South Ossetia and Abkhazia?
GOVERNOR SARAH PALIN (REPUBLICAN VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE)
First off, we’re going to continue good relations with Saakashvili there. I was able to speak with him the other day and giving him my commitment, as John McCain’s running mate, that we will be committed to Georgia. And we’ve got to keep an eye on Russia. For Russia to have exerted such pressure in terms of invading a smaller democratic country, unprovoked, is unacceptable. And we have to keep…
(Off-camera) You believe unprovoked?
I do believe unprovoked. And we have got to keep our eyes on Russia. Under the leadership there.
(Off-camera) What insight into Russian actions particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of this state give you?
They’re our next door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska.
(Off-camera) You in favor of putting Georgia and Ukraine into NATO?
Ukraine, definitely, yes. Yes, and Georgia. Putin thinks otherwise. Obviously he thinks otherwise.
But pay no attention to the entire CONTEXT.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Full relevant transcript from interview:

But pay no attention to the entire CONTEXT.
The fact remains that the the topic of their interview was foreign affairs, it had nothing to do with geography.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As much as I don't care for the Palin, I have to tell you, she never said the "I can see Russia" thing.

It was Tina Fey on SNL.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As much as I don't care for the Palin, I have to tell you, she never said the "I can see Russia" thing.

It was Tina Fey on SNL.
True - but a lot of liberals believe every lie that they hear on MSNBC.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Oh, smack, smack yourself! There was another interview, this one with Katie Couric:

Sarah Palin interviews with Katie Couric - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

COURIC: You’ve cited Alaska’s proximity to Russia as part of your foreign-policy experience. What did you mean by that?

PALIN: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land — boundary that we have with — Canada. It, it’s funny that a comment like that was — kind of made to cari — I don’t know. You know. Reporters —

COURIC: Mocked?

PALIN: Yeah, mocked, I guess that’s the word, yeah.

COURIC: Explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials.

PALIN: Well, it certainly does because our— our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of. And there in Russia—

COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We— we do— it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where— where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is— from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to— to our state.

But pay no attention to her whole record, K? BTW, what you posted was an EXCERPT of the interview with Charlie Gibson, not the "full record".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-23-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
So a thread that started out as a plea for civility has predictably devolved into liberals bashing Sarah Palin.

I'm not surprised - that is how the left rolls.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

It was Tina Fey on SNL.
Sarah Palin most certainly did say you can see Russia from Alaska. I don't know how many times this has been posted on CD.

Palin on her insight into Russian Politics - YouTube

It's only 13 seconds. You can listen to it.

Here's a transcript, unedited:
EXCERPTS: Charlie Gibson Interviews Sarah Palin - ABC News
(Her comment is on p. 3, but I would suggest everyone who thinks she has her act together should read the whole thing.)

Tina Fey then did a take off from that.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
So a thread that started out as a plea for civility has predictably devolved into liberals bashing Sarah Palin.

I'm not surprised - that is how the left rolls.
Actually, Dale Cooper introduced this subject in post #38.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies