Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:15 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,094,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Rick Perry told a Boy Scouts of America convention that he hopes the organization will continue to ban membership of gay scouts and scout masters. Perry says he hopes the BSA will uphold its "traditional values", and that scouting is "no place to learn about sexuality"

Gov. Perry: Boy Scouts should keep no-gay policy

I hate to keep whacking you good people of Texas over the head with an inflatable mallet... But you elected this guy governor HOW MANY TIMES???
I agree completely with this statement. My bf was an eagle scout and I was a girl scout. We both work with and have gay friends. And we both are of the opinion that sex does not belong in the scouting groups. And by that, we think that there can be gay leaders and gay kids in the boy scouts, but that they need to keep their sexual orientations out of it completely. Also, there should be no straight sex talk either. Sure, one can't monitor what kids talk about amongst themselves, but in terms of the scouting agenda, there should be no sex talk or activity of any kind going on during scouting activities. The scout program was not designed to help with a child's sexual orientation or emergence into adulthood, it is about handling the outdoors and getting exercise and fresh air while doing it.

Otherwise, if there are those who feel that young teens of the LGBT persuasion need guidance and support, then let there be specialized outings led by gay and lesbian scout leaders. But again, I do believe that those groups have to be more about scouting activities and with little or no emphasis on anything sexual. It's a fine line to tread. And NO, I don't think that gay men are pedophiles.

And btw, I'd much rather have learned boy scouting skills than what was offered in the girl scout program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Rick Perry told a Boy Scouts of America convention that he hopes the organization will continue to ban membership of gay scouts and scout masters. Perry says he hopes the BSA will uphold its "traditional values", and that scouting is "no place to learn about sexuality"

Gov. Perry: Boy Scouts should keep no-gay policy

I hate to keep whacking you good people of Texas over the head with an inflatable mallet... But you elected this guy governor HOW MANY TIMES??? :smack:
Kind of how I feel about the idiots who voted for Obama.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,800,202 times
I don't understand how allowing a gay boy scout, eagle scout or girl scout into its ranks equates with teaching sex or sexuality in the scouts. The two are completely different! It just means that if someone is openly gay they can serve. The fact that others equate this with teaching anyone anything is completely beyond me. It is the same as don't ask don't tell where you have to deny who and what you are. Why? Shall we force all scouts to deny affinity to either being homosexual or heterosexual and just advocate for asexual members only? As far as i'm concerned, forcing someone to deny their sexuality whatever it is is discriminatory period and any veiled or unveiled attempts to force someone to deny the reality of their existence is bigotry period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree completely with this statement. My bf was an eagle scout and I was a girl scout. We both work with and have gay friends. And we both are of the opinion that sex does not belong in the scouting groups. And by that, we think that there can be gay leaders and gay kids in the boy scouts, but that they need to keep their sexual orientations out of it completely. Also, there should be no straight sex talk either. Sure, one can't monitor what kids talk about amongst themselves, but in terms of the scouting agenda, there should be no sex talk or activity of any kind going on during scouting activities. The scout program was not designed to help with a child's sexual orientation or emergence into adulthood, it is about handling the outdoors and getting exercise and fresh air while doing it.

Otherwise, if there are those who feel that young teens of the LGBT persuasion need guidance and support, then let there be specialized outings led by gay and lesbian scout leaders. But again, I do believe that those groups have to be more about scouting activities and with little or no emphasis on anything sexual. It's a fine line to tread. And NO, I don't think that gay men are pedophiles.

And btw, I'd much rather have learned boy scouting skills than what was offered in the girl scout program.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,965,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Personally, i think he can win that governors seat as many times as he wants. Why not? You think his act goes over poorly with Texans? LOL...i doubt it. He's been in that seat this long for a reason.
Try as we might to unseat him, the rural vote swamps out any majorities from the big cities.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Kind of how I feel about the idiots who voted for Obama.
Wow, you voted for Obama?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM

37,100 posts, read 42,103,316 times
So in other words, Rick Perry wants gays to keep it secret. Most kids JOIN before they even know that about themselves. It's not like they want to make GLBT subject a part of the BS agenda or anything, they just don't want to lie when they discover the truth.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,096,249 times
Kudos to Perry.

With that being said, I would rather have a true conservative in office, so I hope he loses his next election.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,950,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Kudos to Perry.

With that being said, I would rather have a true conservative in office...
So you'll be voting for a unicorn?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,014,538 times
Another Texas politician says something stupid. Not even surprised anymore.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,094,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't understand how allowing a gay boy scout, eagle scout or girl scout into its ranks equates with teaching sex or sexuality in the scouts. The two are completely different! It just means that if someone is openly gay they can serve. The fact that others equate this with teaching anyone anything is completely beyond me. It is the same as don't ask don't tell where you have to deny who and what you are. Why? Shall we force all scouts to deny affinity to either being homosexual or heterosexual and just advocate for asexual members only? As far as i'm concerned, forcing someone to deny their sexuality whatever it is is discriminatory period and any veiled or unveiled attempts to force someone to deny the reality of their existence is bigotry period.
First, the boy scout and girl scout programs are not coed, and this is to keep the kids focused on learning the scouting skills, making good (platonic) friends, and gaining self confidence. There is a good reason that these programs are not set up in a coed environment. Keeping it single sex was to make it easier to not have the boys and girls social and flirt with each other. And also that the less attractive children wouldn't be distracted or jealous of the better looking ones who would be naturally more popular with the opposite sex. And on the camping trips, there would be less worry about some of the boys and girls pairing up and disappearing. I was a kid once too, and at the coed day camps, there was a lot of flirting going on between the boys and the girls. And there was none of that doing a single sex activity at school and that was just fine with me.

And all scout leaders should be considered asexual by their kids, just like children also consider their own parents asexual. It would highly inappropriate for a "straight" scout leader to be talking with his kids about his wife or gf. So that is why, if there is a gay scout leader, he should not be making his sexual orientation known either.

Anyway, no sex talk or thoughts while involved during the scouting process... just hiking, getting fresh air, identifying wild life, putting up tents and tying fancy knots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies