Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,054,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
If my kids were of Scouting age, I would be far, far more concerned about them joining a group that is anti-atheist than I would be if there were openly gay leaders and members in the group.
That's why your kids would probably never join the Scouts. That's how freedom works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,324,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco55david View Post
after all the intellectual ass beatings you have given him, you could probably claim him as a tax deduction. :d
It's truly bizarre

Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,986,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
That's why your kids would probably never join the Scouts. That's how freedom works.
My son never did - although we did take him to a cub orientation meeting.
At the end, there was a prayer for Jesus Christ, their Saviour and - well
needless to say, we never returned...

I had mixed feelings on it, simply because when a child is little
you simply don't know what their religious following or lack of is
going to be later in life.

Legally, the BSA have every right to ban who they want as a private organization.
But we all know money talks and bull**** walks, so they have reversed in many
cases due to dropping of sponsorship.

The legal argument now is that they use public lands e.g. federal parks and therefore
can't discriminate.

Atheists are the most discriminated against; that is for sure. It's accepted more
because so many in America disagree with us.... but

There are many ways to skin a cat as they say ...or tie a rope... or start a fire...

BTW- the Girl Scouts of America do allow atheists and gays.
And you know what they say, Women Should rule the World

Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
You've missed the point. Let's say for arguments sake, that every adult male who performs the heinous act of molesting a boy is, as you say, gay. The fact is, the majority of these predators who would pray upon a young scout would not be openly gay, they would most likely be acting like Gary Sandusky. Married, but with pedophile tendencies. Gary Sandusky, while married, might well be gay. We're not him so we don't know.

So the dilemma is not about keeping gay men out of the scouts, its about keeping predators out of the scouts. Predators come in all shapes and sizes: Married, gay and partnered, closeted gay, single, divorced, etc. Every one of those groups will have a bad apple or two. Being gay doesn't automatically make you a predator. Being attracted to children does.
According to one of the largest studies of child molestors in the US (the Abel and Harlow 2001 study of over 4000 child molestors), the vast majority of men who molested boys were heterosexual men with adult attractions to women. Only a small percentage (7%) of child molestors were actually 'fixated' pedophiles (only attracted to children and not to adults). Only about 8% of the men who molested boys were homosexual men with adult attractions to men.

Over 60 years of research on sex offenders supports the results of this study. The FBI profile sex offenders based on this research.

Most child sexual abuse is about power - and easy access to someone they can control. That's why it happens most often in families.

http://www.childmolestationpreventio...pdfs/study.pdf

Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM

174 posts, read 154,040 times
Quote:
Here's another way freedom works -- people lobby the BSA to change their rules. And eventually they will.

Then you'll have a sad...

Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas van Rijn View Post
No, GuyNTexas didn't miss the point. His agenda is simply to draw an equivalence between gays and pedophiles. He wants to blur the line between the two. The ensuing discussion is merely intended to give the impression that there's an honest debate over the relationship between gays and predators who victimize children.

He knows exactly what he's done.
There really is no 'debate' anymore amongst educated health professionals or law enforcement agencies like the FBI. There is far too much evidence from research on sex offenders that has been replicated over and over and over again over the past 60 years.

Attempting to create a 'debate' by using the self-interested conspiracy theory whacky views of the Church of Scientology to try to undermine the mental health professions is completely ridiculous. They believe humans are infected by bits of aliens and they can sell you expensive 'therapy' to 'clear' you.

He has already been exposed several times when he himself linked to Church of Scientology sources to support his views.

As for his views on homosexuality- once again the only time he ever gave sources for his 'information', they linked back to religious anti-gay propaganda sites.

He can deny it all he wants, but his post history is there for anyone to see.

Spreading grossly misinformed views about child sexual abuse is dangerous.

All it does is is make it easier for child molestors to hide and continue to abuse children.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,735,830 times
I think this is a reasonable assumption! The hostility they have smells of fear and that can only be rooted in some deep seated insecurities. The sad thing is these unadjusted and self-loathing, shameful individuals project this onto an entire group of mostly adjusted, happy and responsible individuals.

As a well adjusted and professional adult gay man, I resent the fact that anyone would conclude that I enjoy sex with minors and want to take advantage of children. Complete B.S and it's sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I actually believe that at least some of the most vocal ones, and the most hateful, here (a couple of specific ones come to my mind) may very well be struggling with their own sexual identities.

Their homophobia has no rationality behind it and I suspect may be based in their own fear of feelings they have had in the past or may be having still.

Especially the former Scouts who have posted and who are the most vehemently against gay Scouts; I have to wonder if at least a couple of them, on those Scouting camp outs, weren't getting tents - within a tent.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,036,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
This thread is a perfect example of some guys who are so insecure in their masculinity that they think any gay guys in the same room will expose them for the fragile creatures that they are.

I also suspect that gay men are on average a lot more "tough guys" than some people want to believe, and are capable of forming completely platonic friendships with straight guys because they share similar interests. All they're asking for is the right to be men. I begrudgingly understand (although do not agree with) the whole religious-based reason of excluding gay men from Scouts, but the other stuff is just silly.
They aren't tough at all. Maybe to metrosexual girly men the women who love them. Out here, they stick out like a sore thumb. You're as q**** as the three dollar bill man.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Care to answer my question? How do you know they were all straight?
Are you kidding with that?

John Mellencamp - Small Town - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It's truly bizarre
Thought this was The Boy Scouts Of America. What do you know about it? Nada....nothing!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
They aren't tough at all. Maybe to metrosexual girly men the women who love them. Out here, they stick out like a sore thumb. You're as q**** as the three dollar bill man.......

Are you kidding with that?

John Mellencamp - Small Town - YouTube

Thought this was The Boy Scouts Of America. What do you know about it? Nada....nothing!
Definately kidding.....

singing about trucks - YouTube

Guns N' Roses-Paradise City W/Lyrics - YouTube

Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
None of these people carry a knife daily themselves, much let their kid do it. The first time he would start a fire with anything other then a lighter or match, they would crap gold bricks. I'd pay money to see some 11-12 year old kid pull some lardass full grown man out of the lake too with what he knows and has learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies