Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,457,519 times

Advertisements

I never donated to the Boy Scouts until they became a target. Now they are on my donate to list. Of course there are some people that believe every child must be exposed indoctrination and propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 02:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,814,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
Scouts do not teach hate.. but they foster hate by the stance they take on not including everyone... I'm gay.. and I'm an eagle scout... its on my resume.. I don't regret what I've learned from it and the influence it has had on me.. but it also wasn't faced with these social issues back then.... so.. while I wouldn't say I don't respect the boy scouts... I'm just disappointed by them...
In the stance, are you stating that NAACP foster hate?
How about the Negro college fund?
The Girl Scouts foster hate not admitting Boys?
Boys football teams are fostering hatred against girls?
Catholic schools foster hate by not admitting non-catholics?
Even golf courses are fostering hate against the poor by not giving them free access?

I know.. I know.. I'm blowing it out of porportion, but I think you got my point..

Old 10-21-2007, 02:53 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,897,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I never donated to the Boy Scouts until they became a target. Now they are on my donate to list. Of course there are some people that believe every child must be exposed indoctrination and propaganda.
by your comments.. you are the mindset that is distructive to good organizations... until they foster your polarizing divisive agenda they aren't worth donating to? You're sick...

Old 10-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
In the stance, are you stating that NAACP foster hate?
How about the Negro college fund?
The Girl Scouts foster hate not admitting Boys?
Boys football teams are fostering hatred against girls?
Catholic schools foster hate by not admitting non-catholics?
Even golf courses are fostering hate against the poor by not giving them free access?

I know.. I know.. I'm blowing it out of porportion, but I think you got my point..
you're right.. and they have every right to exclude anyone they want.. so long as they are a private entity.. and not recieving government support or sponsorship.... my disappointment is from my own perspective....
I for one was one of the few that actually became an eagle scout.. and because I am homosexual.. their stance is going to have an effect on me.. and right now its disappointment...

Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
you're right.. and they have every right to exclude anyone they want.. so long as they are a private entity.. and not recieving government support or sponsorship.... my disappointment is from my own perspective....
Completely agree then. They have the right to discriminate, provided of course they arent doing it on the taxpayers dime.. At $200K in rental incentive they are doing it on the taxpayers dime. Thats a huge amount of space being "GIVEN" to the Boy Scouts to foster their discrimination policies.

It comes down to one more important issue. The Boy Scouts should not be publicly funded in any source, with, or without their discrimination policies. Even if they should change their policies to admit gays, they should still be paying rent or move out of governmented funded buildings to privately owned properties.

They could raise funds to build their own building, even get property taxes for free being a non-profit. For the life of me I cant understand why they ever received $200K worth of rent for $1 to begin with. The Boy Scouts could easily raise $3M needed to build a building and move out of publicly funded properties.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 PM

I think it is sick that some people are on a rampage to shove their choices down the throats of innocent children and I applaud the boy scouts for standing up for decency and their beliefs.

I think any “hate” we see comes from those that demand their rights to their own beliefs and choice while attacking the boy scouts rights to their own beliefs and choice.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I can say that from back when I did my eagle project to become and eagle scout... I constructed a Little league baseball diamond at a school. Involved cutting the sod out, installing bleachers, fensing, digging dugouts the whole nine yards.. EVERYTHING was donated by businesses in the community.. and that is JUST ONE eagle project.. This organization is respected enough as well as promoted enough by the private sector to stand on their own two feet without government taking sides and offering free rent. I don't agree with all this clout homosexuality has caused the organization, and I do not agree with their stance by NOT including one group of people. The level of support I recieved when doing my eagle project is testiment that if they are to remain a respected organization, then the private sector will see that they exist and survive.. If that doesn't happen then perhaps they need to look at themselves.. or the society needs to take a look at itself.. one or the other.. but involving government "welfare" to the organization.. in my mind underminds its own policy and beliefs...
This could make a very interesting eagle scout project. Raise $3M to build a new Boy Scout building.. getting them off the tax rolls...

Old 10-21-2007, 03:12 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,769,602 times
They can try to keep gays out, but they have had quite a problem with pedophile scoutmasters, although from what I understand they are trying to clean this up.

In May 1991 the Washington Times published a major five-part investigation entitled “Scouts Honor” on sex abuse in the BSA. Staff from the newspaper had worked for two years preparing the series, reviewing internal and personnel records from the Boy Scouts; tens of thousands of pages of court records from more than 20 states; and more than 1,000 newspaper articles about abused Scouts; as well as interviewing more than 200 people, including molesters, families of victims, Scout leaders, sex abuse experts and lawyers. The newspaper restricted itself to reported cases of male Scout leaders abusing boy scouts prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program. In summation they wrote “The Boy Scouts are a magnet for men who want to have sexual relations with children…Pedophiles join the Scouts for a simple reason: it’s where the boys are.”[1]

The series of articles drew on three major sources:

Historical “confidential files” (formerly known as the “Ineligible Volunteer Files”) within Scout records, with details on 231 Scout leaders banned from Scouting for sexual misconduct from 1975 through 1984 prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program.
50 lawsuits against the Scouts by families of molested boys from around the US prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program.
A list from the BSA of more than 350 men banned for sexual misconduct from 1971 to 1986 prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program.
The newspaper discovered that at least 1,151 Scouts reported being abused by their leaders over a 19 year period prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program: they published a detailed list of 416 cases from 1971-1990 where a US Scout leader who was arrested or banned from Scouting for sexual abuse of Scouts, adding that experts said the real number of abusers and victims prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program was probably several times higher.

Scouting sex abuse cases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
They can try to keep gays out, but they have had quite a problem with pedophile scoutmasters, although from what I understand they are trying to clean this up.

In May 1991 the Washington Times published a major five-part investigation entitled “Scouts Honor” on sex abuse in the BSA. Staff from the newspaper had worked for two years preparing the series, reviewing internal and personnel records from the Boy Scouts; tens of thousands of pages of court records from more than 20 states; and more than 1,000 newspaper articles about abused Scouts; as well as interviewing more than 200 people, including molesters, families of victims, Scout leaders, sex abuse experts and lawyers. The newspaper restricted itself to reported cases of male Scout leaders abusing boy scouts prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program. In summation they wrote “The Boy Scouts are a magnet for men who want to have sexual relations with children…Pedophiles join the Scouts for a simple reason: it’s where the boys are.”[1]

The series of articles drew on three major sources:

Historical “confidential files” (formerly known as the “Ineligible Volunteer Files”) within Scout records, with details on 231 Scout leaders banned from Scouting for sexual misconduct from 1975 through 1984 prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program.
50 lawsuits against the Scouts by families of molested boys from around the US prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program.
A list from the BSA of more than 350 men banned for sexual misconduct from 1971 to 1986 prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program.
The newspaper discovered that at least 1,151 Scouts reported being abused by their leaders over a 19 year period prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program: they published a detailed list of 416 cases from 1971-1990 where a US Scout leader who was arrested or banned from Scouting for sexual abuse of Scouts, adding that experts said the real number of abusers and victims prior to the introduction of its Youth Protection program was probably several times higher.

Scouting sex abuse cases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"They can try to keep gays out, but they have had quite a problem with pedophile scoutmasters, although from what I understand they are trying to clean this up."

..........and male pedophiles that molest or rape young males are what? Obviously they are a danger to children yet they want to put the wolves among the sheep.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I think it is sick that some people are on a rampage to shove their choices down the throats of innocent children and I applaud the boy scouts for standing up for decency and their beliefs.

I think any “hate” we see comes from those that demand their rights to their own beliefs choice while attacking the boy scouts rights to their own beliefs and choice.
so it is your beliefs that someone who is homosexual is not decent? mind you.. saying that to me.. you're also saying it to someone who is an eagle scout.... so does the homosexual part of me make me indecent? or is it the eagle scout part? that would be a matter of opinion.. but making people decide such a thing is causing UN-needed polarization... so too is applying the same principles to the boyscouts... You are applauding them because they have sided with YOUR views of what is decent...when in reality.. the entire discussion is UN-NEEDED.. and people like YOU are what has caused the whole fuss by making the organization choose. The organization knows they are supported largely by churches.. especially the MORMON church.. so to keep them on board.. they were forced to make a decision.. and to me and many others who ARE eagle scouts... we find that disappointing and ridiculous.. the very fact that you are female means that the organization is of little importance to your personal life.. so why do you sit here on a high horse touting morals and decency and pulling the boyscouts under your wing for the sake of argument? You're a mess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies