Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times

Advertisements

Trust me, if your attitude sucks, we don't want you here anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM

14,466 posts, read 11,245,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
A "state's" crime rate? I want to know the crime rate of the area I'm thinking of living in and it's surrounding areas.

I live in NJ. I would assume at the state level crime is quite low due to the large number of middle class to affluent areas. That said, no way in hell would I live in or near Newark, Irvington, Camden, Orange, Patterson.......

I would think MI would be similar. Lots of nice, safe suburbs and then you have the likes of Detroit.
My wife grew up in Bloomfield Hills, about 30 minutes north of downtown Detroit and you are correct, almost all of the suburbs surrounding the city are beautiful places to live...and very Republican btw.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In other words, it looks like everywhere else^^^!

That scenery isn't unique. Nice, but nothing you can't find anywhere else.
But why would I go anywhere else when all this is here - and the economy is in better shape than just about anywhere else, the people are friendly, the cost of living is low, the culture is diverse and interesting, and the Tex Mex food is terrific?

Yeehaw!

Look, I hate to have to be so specific with you, but have you noticed that in GENERAL, Texans are passionate about their love for their state? There are real reasons for that passion. It's clear that you don't share those feelings and that's cool - but your apathy towards Texas really doesn't have ANY effect on Texans who are absolutely thrilled to be lucky enough to live in this beautiful state.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,934,674 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;28114524]In other words, it looks like everywhere else^^^!

That scenery isn't unique. Nice, but nothing you can't find anywhere else.[/quo

I think the pictures show the ignorant that Texas is a hell of a lot more than "shrubs and ponds."

Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times
texas is a huge state, and anybody who doesn't think it would be a good place to retire isn't looking hard enough.

same for most southern states, with a slower pace of life, lower cost of living, more personal freedom, more outdoor time, great scenery, and friendly people.

one thing i noticed here in florida is how many more constellations you can see at night.

we don't need to defend our southern states, though, because it means more for us.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 AM

25,804 posts, read 16,451,635 times
[quote=Scotty011;28116885]
Quote:

I think the pictures show the ignorant that Texas is a hell of a lot more than "shrubs and ponds."
Well, I support your right to secede. I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
[quote=Scotty011;28116885]
Quote:

THANK YOU, Scotty - for "getting it."

But I do dearly love posting photos of my beautiful state. Here are a couple from our recent trip to Luckenbach and San Antonio at Christmas time. For those who criticize Texas for it's summer heat, please take note of the attire of the people in the first photo - this is at night, the week of Christmas, outside. Nice!

San Antonio's Riverwalk in December:

Big Texas sky:

Hill Country sunrise:

Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,143,663 times
Nice pics. Really beautiful.

Of course, I can take similar pics here in E-TN.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Aren't there impoverished, crime-ridden, and unhealthy neighborhoods in the most prosperous and cosmopolitan "blue" states of the US? People tend to think great things about Connecticut, but I've heard bad things about the inner cities of Hartford and New Haven. And before you lecture me about how New York City and other paragons of "progressivism" have gentrified a lot of poor neighborhoods, all that does is force poor residents to move elsewhere because they can no longer afford in places where their families have lived for several generations. Before you knock "red states", clean up your own backyard!
The way people should live, should be:

One poor family - one rich family - one middle class family - one poor family - one rich family - one middle class family, and so on.

Yeah, of course everyone's going to call me crazy, but the world would have to behave differently if that were the case.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Which states would those be?

And the wage/cost of living argument is overused by people that live in low wage states.

Look, I get that 10 bucks an hour is horrible in San Francisco, but guess what? It's horrible EVERYWHERE! You're not gonna live well off of that wage anywhere in Texas or elsewhere. A crappy wage is just that. Saying that a gallon of milk is cheaper in a low wage area doesn't help the argument much.

Now if the argument shifts to something like how far 50k a year goes in different locales, I'm game. But I'm not about to argue about low wages being okay because the local cost of living is cheap.
California would be one state.

As for the rest of your argument, it's quite apparent that economics isn't your strong suit, and your attitude tells me you'll never change your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies