Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,088 times

Advertisements

I am free to associate with whomever "I" choose, regardless of what psychopathic, intolerant, STATIST laws YOU come up with. If I don't want to serve purple people, if I don't want to serve transgendered people, if I don't want to serve red headed step children, regardless of YOUR morality, I will exercise MY free will because it was given to me by GOD. You had no say in my receiving it. You'll have ZERO say in my exercising it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I know!

And how come none of the religious bigots posting here have addressed the fact that the homophobic bigot baker has a tattoo?

Someone posted way back in this thread where in the bible it talks about tattoos but it was conveniently ignored (as well as the thing about shellfish).

Also, isn't there something about women who are on their periods being unclean? I wonder how many times a day he sells a cupcake to a woman who is "unclean?" Should he even be letting them into his place of business during those days of uncleanliness?
1. all 3 of them only apply to Jews.
2. your allowed to sell to unclean woman (but you are to ignorant of the basics for me to even begin to explain to you some of the hardest to understand commandments in the Torah)

Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Who would be harmed if a restaurant denied serving someone because of their race? Why can't the owner of a property discriminate based on race, sex, religion, etc? Because it offends YOUR morality? Why can't a business owner say no? That owner will suffer just as much as the person they denied because neither will profit from their free market exchange.

Why can they only discriminate against the things YOU say are acceptable? Why do you get to impose your free will yet they do not get to exercise their free will?

I hear all the justifications, yet none of them are rational... They all, every single one, are based upon YOUR morality which YOU would dictate upon another, while at the same time preventing them from exercising their own free will.

Do you always pull the old "Do as I say, not as I do." crap and expect to get away with it?
Here is the problem with your argument. We already tried it. It was called Jim Crow. The argument that discrimination is freedom lost.

Here is a simple example if a homosexual enters a store and the store owner says get out of my store you homosexual. If the homosexual refuses to leave, It is no longer a private matter.

The law has to take a side in the dispute. Can this store owner ban homosexuals or is this illegal?

Now if the government deems that the store owner has the legal right to ban homosexuals, then the government has to enforce that store owner's bigotry against homosexuals and remove the homosexual from the store.

Once the government says there is right to discriminate in business, and enforces discrimination, then the government is discriminating against Americans.

I can't explain it any easier. Discrimination of the sort you are talking about is not personal. It is societal and as such society has to make a choice. Will government discriminate against people or will the government protect the rights of all Americans.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
I am free to associate with whomever "I" choose, regardless of what psychopathic, intolerant, STATIST laws YOU come up with. If I don't want to serve purple people, if I don't want to serve transgendered people, if I don't want to serve red headed step children, regardless of YOUR morality, I will exercise MY free will because it was given to me by GOD. You had no say in my receiving it. You'll have ZERO say in my exercising it.
lol

Well, if you open a business in Oregon, you will have to obey the laws of that state (regardless of what your "god" says) or you'll be out of business quicker than you can say, "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This gay agenda attack is an attack on the entire nation. The laws which are being proposed would force the rest of the nation dance to their music. For example, religious institutions would be forced to keep people on their payrolls after they come out of the closet and marry their same sex partners. This attack against the bakery is only a small taste of the coming tsunami of law suits which will be unleashed by gays as soon as the bills pass.
Oh get over your stupid persecution complex. Religious institutions are not going to be forced to accept gays. They are not businesses (well not legally. They certainly milk gullible people out of their money like a business).

Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
and you are discriminating against religious people by saying that no religious person can open a business. gays are the real bigots.
lol

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
You're perfectly fine to do so. But other people are just as free to exercise their right to sue you out of business.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
How silly I thought war, murder, oppression, famine, family violence and cancer (is there a way to make these kosher?) were the actual evils of mankind. Forgot all about those world-ending, Apocalypse inducing gay marriages.
war: is much better then gay "marriage" there such a thing as a just war, there's no such thing a just gay "marriage"

murder: (is the only one that we can compare it to on some levels gay "marriage" wins the more evil contest etc official endorsement of evil)

oppression: gays are the oppressors in this specific case gay "marriage" is oppression.

famine: are you talking about a man made one because if not it's not evil.

family violence: (gay marriage is destroying society much worse then family violence)

cancer: I didn't realize that cancer was caused by people to other people. ()

Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
So it's ok for the bigoted baker to cherry pick which parts of the bible to follow?

I guess that would make him a hypocrite, as well as a hateful bigot.

I suspect the baker's refusal to bake the cake has less to do with any real religious convictions than it does with his own personal feelings about gays.

I know lots of people who hate gays who aren't even religious but hate them just because they are hateful bigots.
The fact remains that the bakery serves gay people. You can throw the H word around all you want and try to make it into a bigger issue and stomp feet and call names. That doesn't change the case which is about the making of a cake for an event the owner felt he could not participate in.

The bakery is receiving a lot of public support and their business has been doing very well since the publicity.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

The bakery is receiving a lot of public support and their business has been doing very well since the publicity.
Unfortunately there are still enough hateful bigots around to keep him in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies