Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,931 times

Advertisements

Hillary Clinton in 2016: Be Afraid, Republicans - The Daily Beast

Quote:
A second Clinton candidacy would likely put the white vote in play and jeopardize the GOP’s dominance in the Old Confederacy. Recent polls put Hillary ahead of possible Republican challengers in vote-rich Texas and in Kentucky, home of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Tea Party favorite Rand Paul. Unlike her husband, Hillary is personally disciplined. Unlike Barack Obama, she has demonstrated an ability to connect with beer-track voters across the country.
It's the GOP's worst nightmare: the downhome cred of Arkansas Bill allied to the coastal Forward Thrust of Barry.

I'm not sure I can agree with Lloyd Green that HRC will make such inroads on the "Reagan Democrat" white bluecollar vote because of her connection (oh, right, they're still married, aren't they?) with folksy Bill. He may be able to imagine "Hillary knocking back a boilermaker in Youngstown or Dearborn", but I frankly can't.

But he's probably spot-on about her appeal to affluent college-educated professional voters: "high-end America is up for grabs, and Hillary appears better suited to take advantage of that fact than Obama was."

And those polling numbers in Red bastions ought to give potential GOP presidential candidates the shakes. If she really will run in 2016, and if she maintains those numbers in place like KY and TX (big ifs, of course), then combined with the effect of demographic change four years down the road, Green is absolutely right: Hillary is the one to beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Anyone who can't see Hillary running in 2016, must have been blindsighted with the results of this past election.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
The nomination and the Presidency are hers, with little credible opposition ... if she wants the job. But 4 years is a lifetime in politics. Several lifetimes. And a lot can happen to impact someone's viability as a candidate. At this point I do think she will run for the office.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The nomination and the Presidency are hers, with little credible opposition ... if she wants the job. But 4 years is a lifetime in politics. Several lifetimes. And a lot can happen to impact someone's viability as a candidate. At this point I do think she will run for the office.
She has an ideal set up though--she doesn't have to make any hard political decisions that could be used against her between now and the 2016 election because she's out of office. She just gets to rest and then run. Short of a major gaff somewhere along the way, she's got a clear run.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Anyone who can't see Hillary running in 2016, must have been blindsighted with the results of this past election.
Oh, things can happen in four years - but we know she wants it, and with former GOP White House opposition research chiefs cheering her on, it's got to be hard not to be tempted.

I just want the photo-op: Hill, Bill and Barry arm in arm together on the stage, right after her nomination acceptance speech.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
who the heck is george I's man?

for the matter, who the heck is george I, and why should i care?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
She has an ideal set up though--she doesn't have to make any hard political decisions that could be used against her between now and the 2016 election because she's out of office. She just gets to rest and then run. Short of a major gaff somewhere along the way, she's got a clear run.

And the logistics - my God! Two of the most successful presidential political machines in modern times joining forces? And against who? Christie? Santorum?!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,216 times
Does it really matter she's as much a corporate democrat as obama is, 4 more years of what exactly ? If she did run and did win would she re-enact glass steagall ? Would she actually enact any sort of legislation on the financial and real estate sector ? Would she work to overhaul the healthcare system ? I seem to remember she introduced a universal health care system that was quickly cancelled. I'm voting green party this next election and I will be voting it all the way through I personally am tired of the grid lock in this country and it's both sides that are to stupid and stubborn.

So I say to hell with both of them !

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,030,436 times
I'm not in the GOP but I'm already afraid of Hillary, the last thing we need is another liar in the White House with the intentions of "fixing" things. We haven't had a decent POTUS in the last 2 decades, Hillary would just be more of the same old BS.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Short of a major gaff somewhere along the way, she's got a clear run.
That's how I see it, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies