Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
It also protects battered women, gang victims, and law abiding citizens from the predations of homicidal maniacs.
So could it be possible to at least disarm the gangbangers, wifebeaters, etc...?

At what point would you consider it prudent to take guns away from someone who's a threat to others (and themselves)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
When sporks are outlawed, only outlaws will have sporks?

Brilliant observation.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Yah. Just because his sole power over people was with the use of a gun is just coincidental...he could have used a knife or a spork...you know a knife that's a fork too.
If sporks are outlawed then only outlaws will have sporks.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
So could it be possible to at least disarm the gangbangers, wifebeaters, etc...?

At what point would you consider it prudent to take guns away from someone who's a threat to others (and themselves)?
Not sure if you realize this or not, but here is a list of those people who are already NOT ALLOWED to own or purchase a gun in the United States:

Quote:
The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits certain people from possessing a firearm. The possession of any firearm by one of these "prohibited persons" is a felony offense. It is also a felony for any person, including a registered Federal Firearms Licensee to sell or otherwise transfer any firearm to a person knowing or having "reasonable cause" to believe that the person receiving the firearm is prohibited from firearm possession. There are nine categories of persons prohibited from possessing firearms under the Gun Control Act:

Persons under indictment for, or convicted of, any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding on year;
Fugitives from justice;
Persons who are unlawful users of, or addicted to, any controlled substance;
Persons who have been declared by a court as mental defectives or have been committed to a mental institution;
Illegal aliens, or aliens who were admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
Persons who have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces;
Persons who have renounced their United States citizenship;
Persons subject to certain types of restraining orders; and
Persons who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
Who Cannot Have a Gun in America? - U.S. Government Info/Resources

The laws are already there. Now - they need to be enforced.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:28 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Quote:
No but SNL will have a field day.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You say that now, because it turned out well. Had the child been killed, you and others would be the first condemning the police and saying, "Why didn't they wait longer? There would have been no harm in that."
What a strange thing to say. You don't have the vaguest idea what I would have thought.

You must be one of those goofy liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can't speak for Dale, but I'll speak for myself.

I told my husband earlier today, "They're going to have to do something. Every minute that little boy is down there, he's at a higher risk. At some point, the parents are going to need to give emergency workers the go ahead to storm that bunker - and they're just going to have to accept that if their little boy is hurt or killed, then at least he's not suffering anymore or going to die at the hands of the monster who kidnapped him."

What a terrible situation for all involved. I just thank God that little boy is safe now.
That's pretty much what I thought. I didn't think it would end well. Too much time had gone by.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
That's awesome!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
I'd risk prison if I could somehow have a knife at the airport steakhouse. Ever try eating steak with a plastic spork?

We went through Denver last month and ended up delayed for half a day. The steak wasn't bad, but a knife would have been nice.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
The standoff in Alabama is over after six days where Jimmy Lee Dykes decided to assert his 2nd Amendment rights to murder a school bus driver, abduct a child, then take the child back to his survival bunker in the dirt.

Thank God we have FBI and BATF agents to protect us from this scum. I'd like to hear from the 2A apologists here about how his rights were probably trampled. Go ahead...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/us...doff.html?_r=0
Apparently the FBI and BATF didn't to squat now did they? There is a murdered bus driver and the child had to endure 6 days with the nut case. Stop trying to think someone is going to protect you. YOU are the only one that is going to protect youeself. The FBI and BATF only reacted to a situation.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Glad the boy is safe. A win-win and happy ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies