Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of threads on CD by and about people either looking for a job (unemployed) or people looking for a better job. Many of these people, if their writing examples on CD are any indication, have only a very basic understanding of English. For example, when mentioning money, the put the dollar sign on the right instead of the left. They have paragraphs that are just one long sentence. They can't spell. They don't know when to capitalize. Etc.... I get the idea that a lot of these people are very young (late teens, early 20s). Some might not be native English speakers. I should say this isn't a new issue. I was in a hiring position years ago and have had people fill out applications who couldn't spell the word "school". But are people this dense? Don't they realize some basic skills are required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
First, this is a forum, not a job application or some other type of formal communication. I would assume, or at least hope, most people engage in self editing when they are writing for non-recreational purposes.

Second, you ought to double check your own grammar if you are going to rant about the grammar of others.

However, I do agree that the education system in the US has dropped the ball on grammar over the last 15-20 years. It is finally starting to make a comeback to the classrooms. I also agree that poor grammar can negatively impact a person's job prospects.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-04-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
On cd people don't always apply themselves. You would hope their resumes looks different. English is my second language, but I try to write grammatically correct to the best of my knowledge. I agree with you.

Grammar not grammer!

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 02-04-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
On cd people don't always apply themselves. You would hope their resumes looks different. English is my second language, but I try to write grammatically correct to the best of my knowledge. I agree with you.

Grammar not grammer!
This surprised me, Merlot. I've read several of your posts and would not have guessed that English was your second language. Well done.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
First, this is a forum, not a job application or some other type of formal communication. I would assume, or at least hope, most people engage in self editing when they are writing for non-recreational purposes.

Second, you ought to double check your own grammer if you are going to rant about the grammer of others.

However, I do agree that the education system in the US has dropped the ball on grammer over the last 15-20 years. It is finally starting to make a comeback to the classrooms. I also agree that poor grammer can negatively impact a person's job prospects.
lol.

Grammar is spelled..............wait for it..............

GRAMMAR.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol.

Grammar is spelled..............wait for it..............

GRAMMAR.
Haha... yeah, that one made me laugh too.

And I'm sorry, but I don't buy the old "this is just an informal setting" excuse - because I don't know about you, but I can't spell horribly if I TRY!! Even when I text people I'll use proper spelling & grammar, aside from a few "shorthand" abbreviations like LOL or BTW. I understand typos happen to the best of us, but it's usually clear when somebody hit the wrong button vs doesn't ever know the proper spellings or word usage. Again, I couldn't write that poorly (like some posters here) if I tried.

(of course, exceptions should be made for ESL and learning-disabled folks)

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Second, you ought to double check your own grammer if you are going to rant about the grammer of others.

However, I do agree that the education system in the US has dropped the ball on grammer over the last 15-20 years. It is finally starting to make a comeback to the classrooms. I also agree that poor grammer can negatively impact a person's job prospects.
Well, let me say in my own defense that I am home sick with the flu and not at my best. But a typo is one thing, writing like this: 1000$, is another. If you do this and don't know it's wrong - it's a big red flag.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Why are people who lack basic English grammar surprised they can't find a job???
Maybe it wasn't required for the job?

[guessing]

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

And I'm sorry, but I don't buy the old "this is just an informal setting" excuse - because I don't know about you, but I can't spell horribly if I TRY!! Even when I text people I'll use proper spelling & grammar, aside from a few "shorthand" abbreviations like LOL or BTW. I understand typos happen to the best of us, but it's usually clear when somebody hit the wrong button vs doesn't ever know the proper spellings or word usage. Again, I couldn't write that poorly (like some posters here) if I tried.

Sorry about the error, I'm home with the flu as I mentioned above, and barely cognizant but still very bored...

Of course, these people tend to speak the way they write, which doesn't help. And I've gotten business emails in text-speak!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Agree. Texting is ruining people.

I have a hideous keyboard that sticks like someone spilled coke all over it (I didn't) and I make my fair share of typos, but I generally know how to spell the words I'm typing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies