Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Of course, but, easier to blame it on the president, I guess.

I was in a thread in the Pets forum the other day and people were saying that they are limited in the types of food they buy due to what is local. I couldn't help thinking "What?" I can buy any/every type of pet food, and every other thing, and have it delivered right to my house thanks to online shopping. Why would anyone limit themselves to what is available in their neighborhood anymore?
Maybe it's not convenient to have to wait 5-7 days everytime you buy something and have to schedule your life around a delivery, especially if you don't own your own home. My guess is that most on this forum are in their twenties and probably rent. Online shopping SUCKS when you have a full time job and live in an apartment.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Maybe it's not convenient to have to wait 5-7 days everytime you buy something and have to schedule your life around a delivery, especially if you don't own your own home. My guess is that most on this forum are in their twenties and probably rent. Online shopping SUCKS when you have a full time job and live in an apartment.
When I lived in an apartment, I had pretty much everything delivered to my office.
Just saying.

Now, I wouldn't have 30+ pounds of dog food delivered to work, the point of having it home-delivered is so that I don't have to carry it. They leave it right outside the garage door. Win-win.
Why the heck should I spend my precious week-end days driving around doing errands when I can get stuff delivered right to my door?

As for waiting 5-7 days, well, generally I get (free) next day delivery, but, there's this thing called "planning ahead." It let's you predict when you might need something and act accordingly.

There's also these options called "recurring" and "auto-delivery." With either of these, you can select the day, months in advance, that you want your order fulfilled. Works like a charm.

But, I think you missed the larger point. Online shopping means no limits on what I buy. That's why it is so popular.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That is because Amazon is far more responsible for these businesses disappearing than Obama is. I agree with the above poster in that its hypocritical to praise Amazon's business model that is killing off localized retail as "progress" and loathe Wal-Mart for doing the same. At least Wal-Mart has a local presence while Amazon does not.
Looking at it another way, Amazon provides the opportunity for more local businesses to sell their wares from the comfort of their own homes, garages, etc. Yes, they may not now open a brick-and-mortar location, but that does not mean that they do not have a local presence. The same retailers may also sell at farmer's markets, craft shows, etc. in their local areas.

Sure, Walmart has a local presence. That presence benefits Walmart and only Walmart.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM

208 posts, read 330,874 times
It's all Bush's fault
I always try to support "local" small business when possible.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
How is this different than it ever was?

How long since Woolworths' has been gone?

Back east where I grew up, we had Korvette's, Abraham & Straus, Lamston's, The Wiz - just to mention a few - all gone now.

All closed long before Mr. Obama was elected to the senate, let alone the presidency.

This is natural cycle in business. Adapt or die.
I would think that a free-market conservative like yourself would appreciate this as proof that capitalism works like it's supposed to.
I have to say, again, that you progs just don't know much about the original topic of this thread. The total says something about economic recovery and you people want take about everything but the recovery that he says is taking place. With all these stores, more than 2000 nationwide, it seems that the ranks of the unemployed will surely grow unless enough to those who are laid off just drop out of the thing like so many have done in the past.

I will suggest that you go back up the line a way and read the red print that I have taken from the link that none of you read to see what I thought may be good to discuss. After you do that give at least some thought to the very anemic growth of the last quarter of 2012. Recovery is just a word that Obama likes to throw around although it appears he doesn't know what the word means.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
We use to travel for our business all over this great Country. Inspite of some posters on here saying that their Cities were thriving, sorry to say, we saw things much differently. Guess people see things differntly thru their own eyes.

I saw businesses that were closing, or closed. Shops that were closing, small mom and pop type establishments, not doing good, yes i use to get out and talk to these people, wanted to know first hand how they really felt.

I don't doubt in some parts of the Country and in different cities, some are doing much better then others, while some are still suffering.

Regardless of the housing market, there are still way too many foreclsoures, short sales, repos, and bank owned properties out there. I know many outstanding realtors thruout this Country.

This is not a good thriving booming economy, anyone who thinks so has major issues. Some parts of the Country are doing much better then others, but we are no where out of the woods just yet.

I do notice that regardless of economy, people still want to eat.

It has improved a bit, but no where as strong as it should be, and no way would i call this right now forward.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Huh?

One point: the major difference between Amazon and WalMart is that Amazon is a facilitator for small businesses. Many, many thousands of small retailers are able to sell their goods because Amazon gives them a presence online. This, contrary to the silliness above, actually creates jobs and puts money back into the economy.

The economy is improving and people are spending. Have you looked at the Christmas sales figures?
Just because people choose to not shop at brick-and-mortar stores does not mean they aren't spending. It doesn't even mean that they aren't spending at the retailers in your OP. It simply means that they've found more efficient ways to spend their money.
Go ahead and say something about the red letters in that post you quoted. You failed to read those words in the link and now don't make an attempt to discuss them. I guess you are really an Obama or else person.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yep. We went to a huge mall on Saturday. It was jammed and people were circling the parking lots trying to find a place to park. The food court was busy. There was a brand new store in a spot that had been vacant since Mervyn's closed a couple of years ago. And people weren't just walking around. They were spending money. Lots of new kiosks and the Apple store was jammed. It was great to see.
Go ahead and try to discuss the part of that quote about the recovery. Can't can you?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Out of all the mind-numbingly stupid assertions ever advanced here, this might be worst.

Yes, that's why Best Buy and Barnes & Noble are failing, Obamacare. Well done.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oh, give me a break.

Retail, like restaurants, employ mostly part timers. Being open 10-12 hours a day with variable foot traffic has not been condusive to full time employment for many decades, now.

Other than retail store management, these jobs tend to be low wage/skill/low or no benefits. Obamacare means nothing unless some franchisee want to whine about reducing his staff. Sure is easier than grasping one bought the wrong franchise.
I guess you aren't with me in being in Medicare. My insurer who covers the medigap has admitted that their drastic raise in premium prices has been caused by the impending Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies