Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

Whats so bad about Texas being perceived or being conservative? If you don't like it, don't come here. Simple enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree. I think there is a little bit of propaganda on CNN's part. While I don't think CNN is a liberal outlet, I think it's safe to say the Piers Morgan is liberal and was looking for a way to embolden stereotypes by choosing to come to Texas and fire guns and interview celebrities like Ted Nugent. I fail to see how they represent the entire state. I think it's a typical ignorant European view of America: "Guns, they must love them in Texas because that's the Cowboy State"
Funny thing is every place has its stereotype. Living here and traveling to Europe on a regular basis, the TV show Dallas seems to feed the stereotypes from here since the show as very popular in Europe, but Europeans are a lot better and recognizing the difference between stereotypes and reality. Americans on the other hand are very culturally ignorant overall. They let stereotypes feed their reality. Americans are much more likely to think of Texas as a bunch of racist, white cowboys with their guns shooting all the time than would Europeans.

Using my wife as an example, when we moved here from the LA area 4 years ago, my wife had never been to Texas. We arrived in Dallas and some of the first things she said were "where are all the cowboys?" and "why are there so many Indians here?". She let her stereotypes be guided by Hollywood and the media. Europeans don't except that at face value for the most part.

As for Texas being a conservative state, overall I don't think there is any denying that. I will say that it isn't strictly a conservative state. In the major urban areas, there are many people who are liberal, libertarian, or who just don't care. I consider myself liberal with a libertarian streak. Of all the friends I have in Dallas, I don't have one that is against gay marriage. I do have a few that are pro-life. Most are pro-2nd amendment. My group of friends here is extremely diverse as is the neighborhood I reside in.

My point would be that Texas is an extremely diverse state. You can really be of any religion or political belief and fit in just fine.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
CNN is better than FOX. Racist bastards.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
My take on the original post is that I don't really care what most of the USA thinks of Texas. I think I would prefer a more accurate view that the stereotypical one - but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Most stereotypes have some roots, though they may have evolved over time.

I don't watch much cable news but CNN is the only one I can stomach, because it is closer to neutral than the others. Piers Morgan however is strongly anti-gun. Don't know what he thinks about other issues.

I think most Texans do not favor big changes in laws concerning guns. Considering how many people in Texas today moved here from another state - that's remarkable. But I think that also says the people moving here from Illinois or California or New Jersey in many cases chose Texas to leave behind what they didn't like about where they came from. Someone moving here from Chicago would know that strict gun laws have done nothing for violent crime in Chicago.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Texas is a conservative state. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know that. In other news, we landed on the moon, the Berlin wall was tore down, JFK was assassinated, we still haven't found Carmen Sandiego, and the earth is not flat.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I have no problem if people want to perceive Texas as being culturally conservative. The better to keep the leftard loonies out of the state.

Obama, Gore, stop whining about right-wing media - CNN.com

Quote:
What liberals sometimes forget is that the conservative media took root because many Americans felt the fourth estate was too left-wing. ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, The New York Times and The Washington Post all strive for fairness, in my view, but there is little question that they have a social and cultural outlook that leans to the left. Collectively, they have far more weight than Fox, talk radio and The Wall Street Journal editorial page.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I have no problem if people want to perceive Texas as being culturally conservative. The better to keep the leftard loonies out of the state.

Obama, Gore, stop whining about right-wing media - CNN.com
Too late, I'm already here!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Too late, I'm already here!
No prob.... I'll just put you on Ignore

(Mod., feel free to delete this post, thx)

Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm watching CNN's Piers Morgan and it's interesting to see how Texas is depicted. How do residents of Texas view all of the publicity surrounding Texas and the gun debate? I'm assuming most Texans are proud to endorse this image and believe in gun rights and the right to carry AR15's. Texas has become the center of the gun debate and depicts the state as being very conservative. What are your thoughts?
I saw the grin on Piers Morgan's face when he shot the Class III (full auto) weapon. He is a closet gun nut in the making.

CNN like many news outlets run by people who are illiterate when it comes to weapons, and like most people who are ignorant, fall back on the cliches or myths they learn from people around them. The reason they are illiterate about weapons is mostly due to the states they live in and the people they know. They are like City Rednecks.

They laugh at gun owners like hicks laugh at gay marriage. Both are based on ignorance.

Most people, when properly introduced to self-defense with knives or guns, learning what works and what does not, come to support the standard view of the need for large-capacity semi-automatic weapons with ergonomic features.

I prefer a heavier rifle like the AK or the AR-10, but my wife and most people with little military training, prefer the AR-15 due to the lack of a kick. Same goes for pistols - I like the 45 but most people like the 9mm for the same reason.

There are about 10 million ARs in the US now along with the same number of AKs. ARs come in many calibers, not just the .223. There are about 100 million standard capacity magazines for the AR/AKs and probably twice that number for the pistols in the US now.

The folks at CNN do not realize just how popular or how many items there are in private hands - that they want to ban. Its like banning all toyotas. Not going to happen.

Piers Morgan really is a hack with a long history of smearing others. He is not a Tier 1 reporter.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Piers Morgan is *definitely* a hack.

Texans, left-right-and-otherwise aren't going to go for a lot of this stuff just b/c we've got such a strong live-and-let-live vibe going, and don't really care if outsiders are offended b/c we don't happen to live or think like they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies