Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times

Advertisements

I came across this eye-opening video yesterday. Even though I already knew we were in deep doodoo; Molyneux's figure based rationale shows the true state of the once united, States.

Grab a drink and some popcorn, it's an hour well spent.

There are more people riding in the cart, than pulling it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
Didn't Stefan Molyneux start a cult one time?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
That’s the insidious thing about Austrian Economics; it makes anyone who can write a cogent sentence think they have mastered economics. Even historians without any economics background at all.

Spewing a bunch of unsupported junk may fly for the ignorant viewers of Alex Jones, but it doesn’t in real life. What he needs to do is find evidence and support for pretty much everything he’s said, including the correlations, or I don’t see why anyone should pay it a lick of attention. Just stating something doesn’t make it true, and rationalizing two numbers without data doesn’t mean they actually have a good relationship. I can show that shoe size and reading ability are highly correlated very easily, but it doesn’t mean the taller someone is the smarter they are.

Plus he has been saying this crap since the economic crash, and as the economy has been recovering he hasn’t stopped. It is a level of self delusion that I cannot fathom in order to deny the reports of market growth, reductions in unemployment, and increased consumer spending from multiple sources. One can also go into his cult that were of people that were, in his words, "deFOO"ed.

The fact the OP makes the assertion that we are already in deep doodoo, and was looking for something to confirm what they already decided, was the first warning bell what a fail this is. Part of being sentient is to be able to take data around you and draw conclusions, not look for anyone that will confirm what you have already decided is true.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
That’s the insidious thing about Austrian Economics; it makes anyone who can write a cogent sentence think they have mastered economics. Even historians without any economics background at all.

Spewing a bunch of unsupported junk may fly for the ignorant viewers of Alex Jones, but it doesn’t in real life. What he needs to do is find evidence and support for pretty much everything he’s said, including the correlations, or I don’t see why anyone should pay it a lick of attention. Just stating something doesn’t make it true, and rationalizing two numbers without data doesn’t mean they actually have a good relationship. I can show that shoe size and reading ability are highly correlated very easily, but it doesn’t mean the taller someone is the smarter they are.

Plus he has been saying this crap since the economic crash, and as the economy has been recovering he hasn’t stopped. It is a level of self delusion that I cannot fathom in order to deny the reports of market growth, reductions in unemployment, and increased consumer spending from multiple sources. One can also go into his cult that were of people that were, in his words, "deFOO"ed.

The fact the OP makes the assertion that we are already in deep doodoo, and was looking for something to confirm what they already decided, was the first warning bell what a fail this is. Part of being sentient is to be able to take data around you and draw conclusions, not look for anyone that will confirm what you have already decided is true.
Wait a second. You don't believe the $100T+ in unfunded liabilities, the $16T debt (projected to be $24B by 2020), the growing welfare/food stamp population, the shrinking labor force, the growing unemployed ranks, the off shoring of jobs because of regulatatory overreach, and our growing nanny state mentality, is just a delusion?

It isn't an assertion; it's a fact. What you think of this guy has no bearing on facts. To say that your view of economics is solid, while ignoring the painful reality of things is the delusion.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Didn't Stefan Molyneux start a cult one time?
Since I've never heard about the guy, I did a little digging for you. He is nothing more than a radio talk show host. P who were pi$$ed at him, made the assertion that he was nothing more than a cultist targeting twenty something's.

It's the same as calling Limbaugh or Beck cultists. While it might not be a problem for uber-liberals and neoprogs to make this leap, it isn't the truth.

https://www.google.com/search?source...73...........0.

http://www.freedomainradio.com/

He (Molyneux) is just a blogger. Apparently, Ron Paul listens to him.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Wait a second. You don't believe the $100T+ in unfunded liabilities, the $16T debt (projected to be $24B by 2020), the growing welfare/food stamp population, the shrinking labor force, the growing unemployed ranks, the off shoring of jobs because of regulatatory overreach, and our growing nanny state mentality, is just a delusion?

It isn't an assertion; it's a fact. What you think of this guy has no bearing on facts. To say that your view of economics is solid, while ignoring the painful reality of things is the delusion.
The debt is an issue but not as pressing as the GOP talking heads want you to think. We DO Need to become deficit hawks but not until the economy is stabilized...short term spending cuts in the mean time WILL HURT US.

As far as the food stamp thing goes....

"According to Keynesian economic theory, like other forms of government spending, SNAP, by putting money into people's hands, increases aggregate demand and stimulates the economy. In congressional testimony given in July 2008, Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moody's Economy.com, provided estimates of the one-year fiscal multiplier effect for several fiscal policy options, and found that a temporary increase in SNAP was the most effective, with an estimated multiplier of 1.73.[35]
In 2011, Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack gave a slightly higher estimate: "Every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity."[36] Vilsack's estimate was based on a 2002 George W. Bush-era USDA study which found that "Ultimately, the additional $5 billion of FSP (Food Stamp Program) expenditures triggered an increase in total economic activity (production, sales, and value of shipments) of $9.2 billion and an increase in jobs of 82,100," or $1.84 stimulus for every dollar spent."

The labor force will continue to increase as the economy improves.

Free Trade agreements like NAFTA hurt US workers....are you a protectionist? Thats your real issue with outsourcing American workers to the third world.

Nanny state mentality? I think our previous president had a handle in increasing that a bit, don't you?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Since I've never heard about the guy, I did a little digging for you. He is nothing more than a radio talk show host. P who were pi$$ed at him, made the assertion that he was nothing more than a cultist targeting twenty something's.

It's the same as calling Limbaugh or Beck cultists. While it might not be a problem for uber-liberals and neoprogs to make this leap, it isn't the truth.

https://www.google.com/search?source...73...........0.

Freedomain Radio

He (Molyneux) is just a blogger. Apparently, Ron Paul listens to him.

Ahhh ok...I think I'm thinking of someone else.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:

The funny thing about unfunded liabilities is that we will only incur them in theory, the law can change before they need to be paid. Our debt on the other hand has already been incurred, and though not ideal, can be inflated away.

The vast majority of our "welfare state" is due to retirees and the aging baby boomers. Once you take them off balance sheet we are in a pretty good position, but retirees will never vote for less entitlements and it is too late to expect them to pay for their own retirement.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
If you want a recovery you need to start a boom. Clinton inherited record low oil prices from Papa Bush which fueled a recovery and then had the good fortune to be in the right time and the right place for the internet bubble. Both had started to deflate by the last 12 months of his term but we still had some good years, at least 4.
Clinton was smart enough to know to leave the economy alone and not try to interfere with it. He set the groundwork for the disastrous China Free Trade so he did mess up by interfering, big time. Good old Al Gore got that passed, his was the tie breaking vote. Bush 43 was never smart enough to let the economy alone, and Lord knows Obama is even dumber when it comes to economics( and everything else).
If Obama sticks to messing up the country with social agendas and has a hand soff approach to economic issues we might get by and things might correct themselves. But he's obstructed it by bailing out banks, pushing green energy,health care, supporting illegals driving down wages and has impeded viable energy industry development. The dolt needs to kow that he's in over his head on every issue and needs to just sit at an empty desk and do nothing.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Quote:

I never said his numbers were delusions, but ignoring the economic recovery that is happening now is a pretty significant self delusion. If you lack such integrity that you push words into my mouth right from the start then I don't see how we can have a discussion. I don't want to spend any time in the discussion pointing out what I did say instead of what you are trying to pervert my words.

Sorry, my parents taught me values like honesty and integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies