Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Almost all of them have been made far more safe over the years without banning them. This is because none of them had a powerful and well funded lobby that opposed even the most common sense efforts to reduce associated deaths.

none of those are a right either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

that is still less than the 25000+ firearms that the civilian arm of the federal government has lost.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
There's more than one instance with the ATF...

Congratulations on finding an anecdotal instance!

So, you found an instance where a dealer is alleged to have messed up....and the law is dealing with him, as it should.

What's your point?

If it was an honest loss of records he will be fined.
If it was something nefarious he most likely will do time.....what is it you want? Looks like the law is working....I notice no mention of his guns turning up at murder scenes. Unlike the ATF's missing guns.

So, what's your point and what does it have to do with Feinkensteins ban?
I don't think 25,000 lost firearms is anectdotal, but maybe your definition is different than mine. The minor point is that the ATF lost a few hundred guns, here you have a single dealer out of 65,000 dealers and he alone lost 3,000 guns, do you think there might be a problem.

ATF's struggle to close down firearms dealers | The Center for Public Integrity

The law needs to be strenthened so that dealers like this are shut down and the ATF needs more agents to perform inspections, one visit a decade is not quite enough.

You don't notice unlicensed guns turn up at murder scenes, they do infact show up in large numbers, over half of the guns used in crimes in NY State are illegally transported from other states.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
...And how many of those supposed FFL dealer weapons have been used to kill people?

Don't say there's no way to know either...because there IS!

Either way...what exactly does this have to do with limiting mags or banning semi-automatic defense guns?

Oh, you're getting ahead of yourself aren't you? What you REALLY want is to get rid of FFL dealers right?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
I don't think 25,000 lost firearms is anectdotal, but maybe your definition is different than mine. The minor point is that the ATF lost a few hundred guns, here you have a single dealer out of 65,000 dealers and he alone lost 3,000 guns, do you think there might be a problem.

The law needs to be strenthened so that dealers like this are shut down and the ATF needs more agents to perform inspections, one visit a decade is not quite enough.

You don't notice unlicensed guns turn up at murder scenes, they do infact show up in large numbers, over half of the guns used in crimes in NY State are illegally transported from other states.
Go ahead and tell us how many guns the ATF handed to Mexican cartels that ended up in the deaths of many people that we know of. Fast and Furious was run by the ATF and they told dealers to let them walk into Mexico, for some reason. I am pretty sure that although those guns went from straw buyers to the bad guys the ATF hasn't tried to prove that the dealers they gave the orders to were the bad guys. I wonder why that is. I think it has something to do with who ATF did it for and why they did it.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:

If you take the time to read this article, and if you are a person who understand the law a little, you will see how ridiculous this is.

For example, "non-compliance". What does that mean to you? You may think it's a gross violation of the law - something like sold a gun to a known criminal. In reality, it can be as silly as writing "TX" instead of "Texas" under State field. If you sold 3,000 guns, that's 3,000 "non-compliance." Is that a good reason to revoke someone's license?

"Willfully" violate the law is a great thing. What does the author want to do? Just revoke people's license because someone wrote TX rather than Texas??? I would agree that going through due process of the law is the process to revoke someone's license, not arbitrary decision from ATF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies